Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The social media progression from yesterday's Columbus OIS is interesting

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    Its about the narrative, not the facts.

Unfortunately, there will be more than a few cops whose takeaway in this situation will some form of "He should have let her stab the girl instead." If we accept the public criticisms and complaints in this situation at face value, that would appear to be what some ion the community would have preferred.

Here is a pretty good summary:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladit...h=7acc6e4a6405
    that Forbes article is a misquote, and therefore, in my mind, invalid. i've seen the video of the aunt. what was left out was her stating "she had issues, but that's okay". she said it right before she said the girl didn't have to die like a dog in the street. now, why would the writer leave that out?

The takeaway of the professional outrage mob, and the takeaway of the rest of the public are going to be different.

The professional outrage mob has to use these sorts of incidents to keep the outrage going, and isn't going to change their stance because of a few obvious and inconvenient facts.

But, the public at large sees this with their own lying eyes, and will form their own opinions- and most likely different from that the outrage mob wants them to form.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

A man who might have been the girl's father was there screaming that his "baby" had been shot. What was he doing when she was doing everything that resulted in the 911 call and her getting shot?! What was he doing when he should have been teaching her not to create those situations?!
    He is the one seen on the video kicking the first girl his daughter charged with the knife (and knocked down) in the head.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    It has been an interesting exercise to follow the morphing of the media/social media narrative surrounding yesterday's OIS in Columbus. Not really surprising, and it requires some time to watch/read the various media and social media reports and claims, but it can be illuminating to watch the progression of allegations and complaints as the details that were known or should have been known to the family and spectators becomes more public.
    It can actually be very quick. Archive EVERYTHING be it with an internet archival page, screenshots saved images into a dedicated folder, saved/mirrored/printed articles, etc. Do that first and make it habit from the first inkling something may be interesting. Peruse the material after archival.

Keep some quick notes in, say, a notepad file of particularly noteworthy bits.

Curate the meaty bits for isolation, craft your timeline, post the longform material as an appendix.

Done.

Archival is the source of all history. It is the only guarantee that information will escape the memory hole. If you don't want to clog up you computer's memory, Micro Center thumbdrives are cheap as chips on Amazon for the 64GB units. Plug, archive directly to it, read, go about the rest of your day. Sixty-four gigs holds a lot and gives you control of the archive versus a cloud service.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 04-22-2021 at 07:30 PM.

Life in Law Enforcement

I have watched and listened to what has been said about the Columbus OIS. Naysayers be damned; That officer did his job. I drifted to before I retired and remembered how many females, bloodied by their spouse, jumped on my back or hit me with whatever was available while I was fighting the man who beat her to a pulp. I have also thought about all those I could have legally shot but didn't. All the boneheads I tried to have an intelligent conversation with (wasted breath). I, as well, thought about those I have justifiably killed due to their bad decisions. I can say that after 30+ years of service in rough neighborhoods most officers can depend on being second guessed, complained on, lied about, demonized, hated, sued, injured, and even appreciated. Think about why you do this job and do your best to do it the way it should be done. That's ALL you can do. Be safe!

Oh come on guys, like quite a few 'knowledgeable' people have said, he could have fired a warning shot, or shot her in the leg, or maybe in the arm. Right? Seriously, I am so glad that there is video w/ audio that shows the knife and the trash talk she was spitting out. With so many of these situations the video misses some time, or is from the wrong angle, or the audio is unintelligible, and we can't get backup for 'our' point of view so the others win the social media war.

He should have used a lasso.

Of course, he'd be sued for the rope burn.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    He should have used a lasso.

Of course, he'd be sued for the rope burn.
    At least he'd be able to tie up the loose ends.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    At least he'd be able to tie up the loose ends.
    I'm a frayed knot.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

It feels like we're stuck in a loop.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List