Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The social media progression from yesterday's Columbus OIS is interesting

The social media progression from yesterday's Columbus OIS is interesting

It has been an interesting exercise to follow the morphing of the media/social media narrative surrounding yesterday's OIS in Columbus. Not really surprising, and it requires some time to watch/read the various media and social media reports and claims, but it can be illuminating to watch the progression of allegations and complaints as the details that were known or should have been known to the family and spectators becomes more public. Columbus PD did a good job of getting ahead of some of this by their rapid release of the BWC.

Although in a different time, one would have expected images of the suspect girl being shot just as she began to plunge the large knife into her victim to result in some appreciation from the victim or her family or the community that the victim was saved, that is just not how things work now.

Anyway, if you are interested in the sociology of these issues, tracking the media and social medial progression of this situation is educational. It is very tempting to collect this stuff and make it into a training presentation for some future time.

I scratch my head every time a justified cut and dry use of force case comes out. And people still complain or blame LE. Its like gravity shouldn't be hard to figure out how it works.

But they don't care. Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by ECS686 View Post
    I scratch my head every time a justified cut and dry use of force case comes out. And people still complain or blame LE. Its like gravity shouldn't be hard to figure out how it works.

There's no such thing as gravity. The earth sucks.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    There's no such thing as gravity. The earth sucks.
    Institutionalized massism.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Its about the narrative, not the facts.

Unfortunately, there will be more than a few cops whose takeaway in this situation will some form of "He should have let her stab the girl instead." If we accept the public criticisms and complaints in this situation at face value, that would appear to be what some ion the community would have preferred.

Here is a pretty good summary:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladit...h=7acc6e4a6405

Quote Originally Posted by ECS686 View Post

It's only getting worse and this is with video.
    #RESIST

While a lot of us have gone to the sit and respond types of work thanks to everything, we also have to remember most of these OIS's are still coming from dispatched calls. Today its like going to work knowing that no matter what you do you wont win. He saved her life and media is already vilifying him. Had he let her stab him they would be crucifying him for not caring about black communities and letting them be killed. We lose either way but at least he can go home at the end of the day knowing he did the right thing regardless.

Each call is like playing the lottery.
    I don’t understand what this guy could have done differently. I think what we’re seeing is really a movement to disarm police and/or severely limit the lethal force options available to police. The common narrative seems to be along the lines of claiming UoF, even when justified, equates to extrajudicial execution without due process.

That one astute "Tweeter" suggested that spunky teens should be allowed to hash it out with fists and knives as has been the case for millennia. I assume firearms to be off limits? This low intensity conflict could easily have been handled by a social worker; wait until the brawl ends, the survivors/victors have fled, and call the EMTs. Seems like complete madness to me.

Site Supporter
    I just watched the video, and it is difficult to imagine a cleaner, more obvious case of a justifiable shooting. The officer responded to reports of someone trying to stab people, arrived to watch the decedent, knife in hand, shove a girl to the ground. The decedent was positioned so she could see the officer and know he was a police officer. He yelled multiple warnings before shooting. Had he waited another fraction of a second to shoot, the other girl would have been stabbed. He and the other officers quickly rendered aid.

Anyone who has had any good quality training in defending against knives or offensive use of a knife knows how stupid it is to resort to anything other than a gun if a gun is available.

A man who might have been the girl's father was there screaming that his "baby" had been shot. What was he doing when she was doing everything that resulted in the 911 call and her getting shot?! What was he doing when he should have been teaching her not to create those situations?!

Politicizing this event will prove to be a bad mistake.

User Tag List