Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Larry Correia's Shivworks AAR

Site Supporter
    I haven't thought about Larry Correia in a LONG time. If I remember right, he was a moderator on The High Road way back in the day - my first gun forum. I know that is where I first learned about his book at least. Somewhere around here I have his first book that I think I bought on that forum.

Didn't end up following the rest of his work and didn't realize he had written so many more until now. I remember enjoying the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    I haven't thought about Larry Correia in a LONG time. If I remember right, he was a moderator on The High Road way back in the day - my first gun forum. I know that is where I first learned about his book at least. Somewhere around here I have his first book that I think I bought on that forum.

Didn't end up following the rest of his work and didn't realize he had written so many more until now. I remember enjoying the first one.
    One of my favorite authors
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post

He's got some pretty good chops. His "Son of the Black Sword" fantasy series is excellent- and it's nice to see something that isn't the usual Euro D&D sort of thing. This one is highly influenced by India and similar cultures.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    He's got some pretty good chops. His "Son of the Black Sword" fantasy series is excellent- and it's nice to see something that isn't the usual Euro D&D sort of thing. This one is highly influenced by India and similar cultures.
    The third book in the series wasn't quite as good as the first two IMO, but still it's a good series. Ashok is a great character.

I still love the Dead Six series, one of my all time favorites. I wish we knew what really happened at the Crossroads toward the end of the battle that messed Lorenzo and Reaper up, but I think that will remain a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    The third book in the series wasn't quite as good as the first two IMO, but still it's a good series. Ashok is a great character.

I still love the Dead Six series, one of my all time favorites. I wish we knew what really happened at the Crossroads toward the end of the battle that messed Lorenzo and Reaper up, but I think that will remain a mystery.
    I’ve always wanted to know but I don’t think it’ll ever be explained.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I’ve always wanted to know but I don’t think it’ll ever be explained.
    The International Lord of Hate* has said as much.

*his nickname after Sad Puppies happened.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The International Lord of Hate* has said as much.
    Okay I missed where he said that, but that figures. There was one scene in the first book that hinted at the supernatural, then whatever happened at the Crossroads fight was something really out there -- but he probably didn't want the series to go too far in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Okay I missed where he said that, but that figures. There was one scene in the first book that hinted at the supernatural, then whatever happened at the Crossroads fight was something really out there -- but he probably didn't want the series to go too far in that direction.
    I believe it was in a FB post, but it's been a while.

I have the entire Son of the Black Sword Trilogy sitting on my desk as I type this. They are currently functioning as a riser for my laptop.

To be honest, I found it to be Correia's weakest series. One caveat, I am not big on fantasy literature or sci-fi for that matter. Horror, Action Adventure, and Mystery are my gotos for fiction. So, I was already kind of predisposed to not be the biggest fan, still being a big fan of Correia, I bought Son of the Black Sword and gave it a fair shake.

I came away, whelmed, neither under nor over. But nothing in the series really made it a page turner for me. it was more much of a slog to read than I was used to with Correia who is often a, "Can't put it down until I finish it." author for me. I found the pacing to be slow, the world building to be a bit jumbled overall, and the characters to be kind of flat. Except the sword...the sword was cool.

Again, I am not a fantasy novel guy. Tolkien might as well be SnoreKing for me and I'd rather punch myself in the nads than try to slog through Game of Thrones. It's probably not fair to judge Correia's fantasy work compared with his non-fantasy work and as far as fantasy fiction goes I didn't hate it. Which is about as close to a ringing endorsement of a fantasy novel as I generally can give. In fact, overall, I'm very ambivalent about the series. That said, i have all three books, because I like Correia as an author and I tend to buy the works of my favorite authors, even if I don't care that much for them.

As I often say, "Every artist has a Rubber Soul work and every artist has a Magical Mystery Tour work."

Grimnoir Chronicles are some of the best fiction ever written.

User Tag List