Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any survival gear in case vehicle goes in a pond?

Question Is there any survival gear in case vehicle goes in a pond?

This question was actually in my mind before pandemic while driving back and forth my old job.
    There's a good curve at the end of a downhill state highway and if you go straight, there's a pond.
    Of course there's a barbed wire fence but I saw a car with its front in the water once.
    I thought what would I do if my car goes under water?
    What if I can't break glass or belt? I do have hammer/belt cutter thingy but who knows where it'll be when I need it.
    So the question, is there something to breathe for a while?
    Will a can of air duster help?
    Something similar like a small oxygen canister?

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    I do have hammer/belt cutter thingy but who knows where it'll be when I need it.
    If you don't know where it will be, you're not doing it right. Do you have a latching console box? Put the hammer in there. Get a Res-Q-Me and put it on your keychain. Carry at least one knife on your person.

"Southern Survival" did a show on survival gear for submerged cars:
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=272291283866858

Better check to see if your vehicle has double laminated glass windows, they are very hard to break. I use my ram to breach more car windows than doors.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Will a can of air duster help?
    I guess it would take your mind off things but that's probably not the best time to be abusing inhalants.

As @andre3k mentioned many newer vehicles are coming laminated instead of tempered side glass.

If your vehicle has laminated door window glass, you'll probably never break it with a window punch/hammer. You'd do better to kick the windshield out of the car. You could use a punch or hammer to weaken it around the edges and then kick.

You can figure out if you have laminated glass by looking in the bottom corner of the window for info.

If you have tempered glass, then a hammer or punch will be fine.

Well, breaking glass is one thing but what if I get trapped somehow like the firewall busted in and squeezed a leg or something and need to survive till firefighters arrive?
    Is there something other than scuba diving tank to breath for half an hour or so?

Well, breaking glass is one thing but what if I get trapped somehow like the firewall busted in and squeezed a leg or something and need to survive till firefighters arrive?
    Is there something other than scuba diving tank to breath for half an hour or so?
    Are you fucking serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Are you fucking serious?
    Yes.
    If you can't help, move along.
    Sometimes silence is better than opening your mouth.

Maybe someone who's into water sports can shed something.
    If there's nothing out there, that maybe what it is but I'm curious.

Half an hour? Yep, SCUBA tank, a regulator, and all of the maintenance that entails. Be sure to secure the rig, so it stays in place during that collision. This project is going to require a high level of dedication and diligence.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List