Thread: NC Police Chief (former) arrested on multiple charges

NC Police Chief (former) arrested on multiple charges

https://www.wect.com/2021/04/20/ex-c...rrants-allege/

Anthony Spivey (Source: CCSO)
    By WECT Staff | April 20, 2021 at 11:42 AM EDT - Updated April 20 at 11:42 AM
    CHADBOURN, N.C. (WECT) - The former top cop in the town of Chadbourn repeatedly raided the police department’s evidence room and stole a variety of narcotics, thousands of dollars in cash, and firearms, arrest warrants released on Tuesday allege.

William Anthony Spivey, 35, of Fair Bluff, was taken into custody by SBI agents Monday afternoon and charged with 73 offenses which include:

31 felony counts alter, steal, or destroy evidence
    31 felony counts embezzlement by public official
    4 felony counts trafficking opiates by possession
    4 felony counts trafficking opiates/opioids by transportation
    2 counts obtaining controlled substance by prescription misrepresentation
    1 count obtaining controlled substance by fraud
    Arrest warrants show the alleged offenses occurred between August 18, 2018 and March 4, 2021.

Spivey is accused of stealing from the Chadbourn Police Department’s evidence room at least:

Two handguns and a rifle
    367 doses of Xanax
    1 dose of hydrocodone
    131 doses of Percocet
    26.5 oxycodone
    1 Oxycontin
    1 ecstasy pill
    2 clonazepam pills
    3 Suboxone doses
    2 doses of MDMA
    1 dose of alprazolam
    47 doses of methadone
    .48 grams and .62 grams of cocaine
    3 buprenorphine strips
    10 doses of amphetamine
    11 “white pills” stamped “L484”
    Pill bottle containing prescription pills
    18 “green pills
    The warrants state all of the items stolen from the evidence room were relevant to criminal offenses.

Spivey is also accused of providing a false police report to a family nurse practitioner on May 4, 2020, which claimed that a 90-count oxycodone prescription that he had filled five days prior had been stolen. Spivey then obtained a new, 75-count prescription of oxycodone, according to warrants.

Warrants also allege that in 2017, Spivey fraudulent obtained a prescription of oxycodone by withholding information from a medical physician that he had previously had a prescription filled by another practitioner.

Spivey is currently in the Bladen County Jail under a $665,000 bond. He is expected to make his first court appearance in Columbus County Tuesday afternoon

End Story

Don't know why but when I read that list of things he stole I think of the survival kit read out from Dr Strangelove

What's the sense in being chief if there aren't any perks?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Always like Slim Pickens.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

What's the sense in being chief if there aren't any perks?
    Percs(ocet) are Perks!

Man, he was police chief at age 32. I was just finishing up my postgraduate training at that point in my life. I can't imagine being the chief of something then.

The town's got a population of 2k. Being "chief" is more like being "sergeant" someplace that matters. He was probably in charge of himself, and maybe one or two other part-time guys. Places like that, might not have even been hooked up to local 911. Those calls would go to county and state patrol. If they're really on-the-ball, they'd monitor fire and EMS pages to assist with traffic control and entry+AEDs, respectively.

As to the rest, he was dumb and probably an addict. That's an unfortunate side effect of the small-town hiring process: it's usually run by a couple idiots who are popular, not smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    The town's got a population of 2k. Being "chief" is more like being "sergeant" someplace that matters. He was probably in charge of himself, and maybe one or two other part-time guys. Places like that, might not have even been hooked up to local 911. Those calls would go to county and state patrol. If they're really on-the-ball, they'd monitor fire and EMS pages to assist with traffic control and entry+AEDs, respectively.

As to the rest, he was dumb and probably an addict. That's an unfortunate side effect of the small-town hiring process: it's usually run by a couple idiots who are popular, not smart.
    Oh I grew up in another small, 2000 population North Carolina town not more than an hour from Chadbourn. Our police department has always had one Chief, one or two other officers, and anywhere between 4 to 6 patrolman. To be fair, while our towns are the same size, the property tax value of my home town has to be several times higher than that of Chadbourn.

Our chief though tended to always be people who were on their way to retirement. One of our most popular Chiefs was a member of the state highway patrol for many decades before retiring, then taking the police chief role. A couple of chiefs prior to that was a retired high up SWAT officer with the Fayetteville Police Department. He's the one who introduced me to the HK p7. Current police chief is at least in his late forties if not early 50s.

To be fair again, even that's not a perfect way to keep away Badness. The police chief prior to the current one was in his late 40s and he along with another officer were arrested for committing fraud. They were working other jobs while they were billing the city stating that they were on patrol. Their trials haven't been done yet.

Around here, there's a strong nepotism involved in a lot of those jobs. For instance, if you're not retired from the state patrol, then you shouldn't even bother applying for any of the college security jobs. But hey, a chief, two supervisors, and then 4-6 patrols? That's great service, presuming the county or state patrol was of a decent size in the area.

We have three "high-business" villages/bergs/hamlets/whatever in the county, that maintain their own patrols. Their officers are very frequently either our retired deputies, or our own deputies working second jobs on overtime. So they don't have to train anybody, just maintain the cars and the stations and supervise them. County dispatch (me) handles their phones, 911, and dispatches for them. It's a great system, they're on the same radio channels as our guys. So if 1201 and 1202 are tied up on a vehicle search and a disturbance call comes in, I can ask if one of them is able to clear to back up 1203, and then directly dispatch one of our guys or request state units, all over the same radio. And because these guys are town-only, the residents get service on non-emergency calls in minutes. Our county does a great job with that stuff compared to urban areas, but my goal is to get all those answered in under an hour. About the only thing that sucks is that they don't have AVL or MDTs that hook up to our system, so I have to dispatch and set their locations manually.

User Tag List