Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Glock 19 or 45?

While I like my personal and issued G19, I got bit once on a mag change and learned to move my hand out of the way on reloads.

With that said... I have been thinking G45 MOS lately. A co-worker bought one and its nice.

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

I prefer the longer grip of the G45 (add the fact that I also already stocked 17 round mags from previously carrying and shooting a G34 full time).

I realize this is just with my hand size, but with Magpul 19 Magazines I find I don't pinch the heel of my strong hand doing speed loads like I do with factory magazines.

Hammertime
    I took a really close look at some 19s vs 17s and 45s. IMO this 19 “hump” think is incredibly over stated. The grips are almost identical. At the bottom the 19 flares back ever so slightly. That flare is within 1 mm of a G17 grip.

At the top of the grip where it counts they are absolutely identical.

Perhaps this hump is on the front of the grip? I forgot to check the front.

If it is supposedly on the rear of the grip this is truly a princess and pea situation if you can feel it. Doubly so if the hump is a reason for a performance difference between pistols. No way on earth could I tell the difference other than overall length.

Not saying it doesn’t exist, but damn guys this seems like fantasy to me. Changing back straps would have massively more difference.

Also to the OP: G45. Because they are awesome to handle and if you don’t like it you can cut it down to a 19. Or a 26.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I took a really close look at some 19s vs 17s and 45s. IMO this 19 “hump” think is incredibly over stated. The grips are almost identical. At the bottom the 19 flares back ever so slightly. That flare is within 1 mm of a G17 grip.

At the top of the grip where it counts they are absolutely identical.

Perhaps this hump is on the front of the grip? I forgot to check the front.

If it is supposedly on the rear of the grip this is truly a princess and pea situation if you can feel it. Doubly so if the hump is a reason for a performance difference between pistols. No way on earth could I tell the difference other than overall length.

Not saying it doesn’t exist, but damn guys this seems like fantasy to me. Changing back straps would have massively more difference.

Also to the OP: G45. Because they are awesome to handle and if you don’t like it you can cut it down to a 19. Or a 26.
    You’re missing the point.They don’t feel any different in the hand. How guns feel in the hand is b******t anyway.

But When you measure performance with timers and targets some people shoot one or the other A little bit better. In my experience about 10 to 15% difference and performance. And some people have no difference in performance between the two.

I’ve seen this play out multiple times with shooters at work Between Glock 17, 19, and 26s.

In my own case, I shoot the 17 grip guns slightly better than the 19s. I’ve also found that I shoot best with different size back straps on the 17 versus the 19. Didn’t figure that out until I tried shooting all the sizes and going off the results instead of the “feel. “

People who wear the same size glove can have different proportions and interact with the gun differently.

You may be one of those people who shoot the G 17 and 19 interchangeably But that doesn’t mean that’s true of everyone.

It’s just like with red dots vs irons. Personally I don’t have issues switching back-and-forth between red dots and irons but there are people who do.

G19 but if you can deal with the longer grip length of the 19x/45 and like the balance of those, nothing wrong with the G45/19X either.

Site Supporter
    I have both. In fairness, with the ammunition situation, I haven't shot the G45 that much. That said...

I didn't see a need for the G45 as the grip is usually more an issue for concealment than the barrel. That said, I really liked the balance of the G45 and chose that over a G17.

If the grip of the G45 is a better fir for you than that of the G19, go with the G45. If the grip of the G45 causes enough preinting in concealed carry to be an issue, go for the G19. I don't think you'll go wrong with either pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You’re missing the point.They don’t feel any different in the hand. How guns feel in the hand is b******t anyway.

But When you measure performance with timers and targets some people shoot one or the other A little bit better. In my experience about 10 to 15% difference and performance. And some people have no difference in performance between the two.

I’ve seen this play out multiple times with shooters at work Between Glock 17, 19, and 26s.

In my own case, I shoot the 17 grip guns slightly better than the 19s. I’ve also found that I shoot best with different size back straps on the 17 versus the 19. Didn’t figure that out until I tried shooting all the sizes and going off the results instead of the “feel. “

People who wear the same size glove can have different proportions and interact with the gun differently.

You may be one of those people who shoot the G 17 and 19 interchangeably But that doesn’t mean that’s true of everyone.

It’s just like with red dots vs irons. Personally I don’t have issues switching back-and-forth between red dots and irons but there are people who do.
    Another consideration is how you shoot. Shooting static bullseye target shooting is completely different than dynamic shooting under time. You may love the grip and think you can do anything with it until you're under pressure, moving or shooting in awkward positions.

I was never vexed by any Glock “hump,” and never understood why anyone had an issue with it. As of the Gen4 models, the G19 and G17 fit me just fine, and “felt good.” They “pointed” the same, for me. I could easily get a three-finger grip on the G19, with my skinny fingers, so mag changes did not pinch anything. The Gen4 G19 finger grooves were a good-feeling fit. BUT, and it is a big BUT, I could never shoot a G19 nearly as well as a G17. I have always shot long-gripped pistols, with relatively square-butt grip profile, better than anything round-butted, or anything with a grip that does not brace firmly at the “heel bone” of my hand.

The final factor, mentioned above, is not just a Glock thing, in my case. The original-pattern Ruger GP100 factopry grip was found to be custom-level nirvana, in my hands. The subsequent compact, rounded-butt version was found to be a torture device, with Magnum loads, and my practical accuracy was reduced, with all loads. OTOH, a round-butt S&W grip is not a problem, for me, with accuracy, but I no longer shoot Magnum loads with round-butt S&W revolvers.

So, like HCM said, how a handgun “feels” can be a lie.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-29-2021 at 02:55 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I have 1 of each. I prefer the 45 for its full sized grip and mags. My gen 4 19 has a magwell on it. So it feels better in my hands than a stock 19.

User Tag List