Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 or 45?

I’m starting to think a chopped 45 might be the best of both worlds.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I prefer the 45 by a pretty significant margin. I have to dress around a Glock 19, it’s not that much more work to dress around a 45 especially with some of the fantastic holster options available.

The only acceptable answer to this is get two of each.

My 19x is on its way home after a grip chop. Like the way it shoots, but can't conceal a full grip.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My 19x is on its way home after a grip chop. Like the way it shoots, but can't conceal a full grip.
    May I ask who your using? It would be great to see photos when you get it back as well. As I mentioned in this or another thread, I keep being tempted to send off a few Glocks for grip work from boresight or another company, but the sticker shock keeps my wallet in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m starting to think a chopped 45 might be the best of both worlds.
    Name:  B98F2226-5CD8-4D34-9BBB-2E8B402E9121.jpeg
Views: 873
Size:  19.6 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I shot Glock pistols a lot for two or three years, primarily 34's, but also 17's and 19's. There were other models, too. But in trying to stay on the subject of this thread, I just wonder why someone that needs or prefers the 17 length grip doesn't just shoot a 17.

If shootability is the priority, and the 17 length grip fits better, I understand the preference of a 45 over a 19.

If concealment is the priority, I understand the preference of a 19 or a 45 over the 17.

But how much more difficult is it to conceal a 17 as compared to a 45? Does that slight difference in barrel length (which also provides the advantage of slightly increased sight radius) really make the 17 significantly more difficult to conceal than the 45?

I only own a G43 today, which replaces my "J" frame revolver.

But if I were to return to Glock pistols, I'm pretty certain they would be Gen5 G17's . . . . both for competition and EDC. The grip fits my hand better than a 19/45, the pistol has a larger ammo capacity and a greater sight radius than a 45 or a 19, and the .51" longer (than a G45) to .67" longer (than a G19) OAL just isn't a deal breaker for concealment for me.

For reference, I am 6'2" tall, weigh 207 lbs., and wear size 12 gloves (big hands).

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    May I ask who your using? It would be great to see photos when you get it back as well. As I mentioned in this or another thread, I keep being tempted to send off a few Glocks for grip work from boresight
    Boresight it is for me. I have a g19 with a razorback and mild grip redux that I traded into. I think it mimics my gaming CZ very closely so I decided to give 19x the same treatment. Expensive indeed.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I shot Glock pistols a lot for two or three years, primarily 34's, but also 17's and 19's. There were other models, too. But in trying to stay on the subject of this thread, I just wonder why someone that needs or prefers the 17 length grip doesn't just shoot a 17.
    Since I’m issued a 19, a 45 means I don’t have to buy all new holsters. Plus, my G45 is RMRd, so the sight radius doesn’t really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post

If shootability is the priority, and the 17 length grip fits better, I understand the preference of a 45 over a 19.

If concealment is the priority, I understand the preference of a 19 or a 45 over the 17.

But how much more difficult is it to conceal a 17 as compared to a 45? Does that slight difference in barrel length (which also provides the advantage of slightly increased sight radius) really make the 17 significantly more difficult to conceal than the 45?

Well, it could matter, where one gets poked, with any type of inside-the-trousers rig. Concealment may not be the only consideration. Gimpy shoulder/elbow/wrist joints, plus high-riding holsters, can make a shorter barre/slide more desirable, as the shorter option clears the holster with less upward travel distance.

Then, there are those who like mini-comps, and want their adult-sized-grip Roland/Faux-land Specials to fit G34 holsters. I have a G19 Gen4 slide, and a Gen4 KKM barrel and comp, which I plan to try on a G45 G19x frame, when I can start going to ranges again. (I get my second Moderna stick tomorrow morning.)

Then, there is balance/heft. To borrow from my experience with 1911, and conversations with those who favor Commander-sized 1911 pistols, some truly prefer the balance of the Commander. I prefer the balance and heft of the Government-sized pistols, but do not disagree with folks who prefer the balance and heft of Commanders.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List