Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stop and Think Series

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Langdon and Bolke are two guys who have dedicated time with the system and understand it. I'm addressing the casual user who thinks they are being safer by choosing TDA but, in effect, they aren't safer. I know they'll say, "I would never..." but are they truly putting in the dedicated training time?
    Have you seen a large number of any level of users with TDAs in classes? I haven't. Usually I'm the only guy who has one. It is possible, and easier than you might think, to hard wire decocking. Whether the average striker-centric instructor knows how to do that is another question.

One of your recent videos made me look at your class schedule. This one was click bait.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Have you seen a large number of any level of users with TDAs in classes? I haven't. Usually I'm the only guy who has one. It is possible, and easier than you might think, to hard wire decocking. Whether the average striker-centric instructor knows how to do that is another question.

One of your recent videos made me look at your class schedule. This one was click bait.
    "Did you just "decock" that Glock?" - Range instructor to me after watching me in a shoot house.

I think I got a pretty automatic level of it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I think the TDA offers multiple redundancies in the safety department, even if you forget to decock.

Heavier first pull
    Hammer to thumb
    Visual reference of hammer moving
    Tactile reference of hammer moving

Even if you fail to decock-

Can still thumb hammer
    On my P-07, weight/length of trigger travel are not that much different from the Glock 45 I had.

Not to mention, not many people are carrying thumb break holsters anymore, where the strap can get caught in the trigger guard.

I do agree that the TDA is probably not the answer for the person who wants to do the minimum to get their CHL. AIWB probably isn’t for that person either. However, I don’t think you have to be all that advanced in the shooting and gun handling arena to successfully and competently carry a TDA.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post

I know it's possible. As I stated in the episode, I carried one for seven years. I have not said it can't be done. I'm simply reporting what I am seeing, and I am not alone in that.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    I know it's possible. As I stated in the episode, I carried one for seven years. I have not said it can't be done. I'm simply reporting what I am seeing, and I am not alone in that.
    What are your thoughts on manual safeties? Such as on the M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What are your thoughts on manual safeties? Such as on the M&P.

Muzzle on, safety off. Muzzle off, safety on.
    @Erick Gelhaus
    Last edited by jlw; 08-20-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Muzzle on, safety off. Muzzle off, safety on.
    @Erick Gelhaus
    Also, do you see many in class? Do people struggle with them?

I just wonder if it would take more or less training in regard to manual safety vs decocker. With my wife, who has zero background in firearms, I felt the best balance of safety vs ease of use was the EZ Shield sans safety. She has one now, likes it and shoots it well.

A revolver would be my first choice, but they are no bueno for her tiny hands.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Also, do you see many in class? Do people struggle with them?

I just wonder if it would take more or less training in regard to manual safety vs decocker. With my wife, who has zero background in firearms, I felt the best balance of safety vs ease of use was the EZ Shield sans safety. She has one now, likes it and shoots it well.

A revolver would be my first choice, but they are no bueno for her tiny hands.
    The vast majority of pistols I see are Glocks with 320s and 365s becoming more common. I don't recall an M&P with a manual safety. The manual safety pistols that I see tend to be 1911/2011s. The less seasoned the student the more reluctant they seem to be put the safety back other than when going to the holster.

Site Supporter
    I think I read this from Mas, apologies if I get it wrong or it was from someone else.

1. One idea for the heavier TDA first pull was that it might counteract folks keeping a finger on the trigger and some accidental pull, from some factor like a startle, sympathetic squeeze, etc. We do know that such factors can overcome the heavier pull though. Does it cut down the rate? I don't know if that has been quantified.

2. Because of the perceived safety of the DA pull, folks were keeping their finger on the trigger after the first shot and now have a lighter short pull, when they should have moved the finger to a safe position.

3. They, thus, had an illusion of safety, and more more likely to fire a second shot as a ND due to various factors has mentioned above.

4. One might argue that you would notice the trigger is back but perceptual narrowing under stress, might cause the person to miss that or just forget the trigger pull difference.

Any evidence for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I think I read this from Mas, apologies if I get it wrong or it was from someone else.

1. One idea for the heavier TDA first pull was that it might counteract folks keeping a finger on the trigger and some accidental pull, from some factor like a startle, sympathetic squeeze, etc. We do know that such factors can overcome the heavier pull though. Does it cut down the rate? I don't know if that has been quantified.

2. Because of the perceived safety of the DA pull, folks were keeping their finger on the trigger after the first shot and now have a lighter short pull, when they should have moved the finger to a safe position.

3. They, thus, had an illusion of safety, and more more likely to fire a second shot as a ND due to various factors has mentioned above.

4. One might argue that you would notice the trigger is back but perceptual narrowing under stress, might cause the person to miss that or just forget the trigger pull difference.

Any evidence for this?
    @Mas?

User Tag List