Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Impulse buy: Sabre Red "grenade"

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Does $499- sound like an appropriate price ?

http://myescapehood.com/buy/
    I saw that, but myescapehood.com isn't actually listed on Essex Industries' website as an approved distributor.

There are a couple of things - first the SKUs/PNs for the VRU and VRU+ seem to be restricted.

However, not restricted are PNs and SKUs associated with Essex Industries:

Self-Contained Unit (SCU)
    Protective Breathing Equipment (PBE)
    Emergency Passenger Oxygen System (EPOS)

All of those appear functionally similar (near as I can tell for the EPOS and SCU identical) to the VRU. You'll need an account with an aviation supply company to get them. I'm working through the list now. But haven't found pricing. I may have to call or email to inquire. It's okay, I could use an account with an aerospace supply company for high grade critical fasteners and high quality sheet metal for building my car anyways.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I saw that, but myescapehood.com isn't actually listed on Essex Industries' website as an approved distributor.

There are a couple of things - first the SKUs/PNs for the VRU and VRU+ seem to be restricted.

However, not restricted are PNs and SKUs associated with Essex Industries:

Self-Contained Unit (SCU)
    Protective Breathing Equipment (PBE)
    Emergency Passenger Oxygen System (EPOS)

All of those appear functionally similar (near as I can tell for the EPOS and SCU identical) to the VRU. You'll need an account with an aviation supply company to get them. I'm working through the list now. But haven't found pricing. I may have to call or email to inquire. It's okay, I could use an account with an aerospace supply company for high grade critical fasteners and high quality sheet metal for building my car anyways.
    There is a listing for them on Amazon Canada but they show out of stock.

There is a listing for them on Amazon Canada but they show out of stock.
    None of the aviation supply cos whose inventory I've been able to search has them either. Most are quoting 30-days to ship. I imagine there is a small, but steady, demand for these products.

I'll dig around more the next couple of days.

Does $499- sound like an appropriate price ?

http://myescapehood.com/buy/
    That sounds like a vaporware/not real price. Non fire rated EEBD's are more than that typically.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you have trouble obtaining one but still want an EEBD these are the ones I typically purchase for work http://www.oceanmedix.com/products/o...vice-eebd.html . They're not as good as the VRU's but they're available and considerably cheaper. Sometimes you can find them on Ebay but some of those are probably stolen. If your main concern is chemical release as opposed to fire they will do what you need. The VRU hoods are rated to much higher temperatures/able to resist dripping molten resins.

Site Supporter
    Instead of a fancy pants VRU, wouldn’t an ordinary full face respirator work just as well for a OC grenade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Absolutely, under no circumstances, store one in your vehicle. Especially the duty vehicle you have to get in 12 hours later. Don’t ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    Instead of a fancy pants VRU, wouldn’t an ordinary full face respirator work just as well for a OC grenade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    As long as the filters are good for volatiles, should be.

I'm actually interested in the VRUs from the perspective of where I often work. Currently, both of my offices are on the 3rd floor of buildings housing multiple research labs. One building houses enough ethanol and formalin that if the fire shutters aren't activated properly...well a VRU will be the least of my worries. But even if the shutters are activated the vaporization of those volatile chemicals would be bad news bears for my lungs.

New office will be on the upper floors of a high rise housing many research labs with similar (but much smaller amounts) of chemicals.

At present the youngest building I've ever had an office in was from 1975. Currently, one building is from 1899 and the other from 1920.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Worthy addition to the vehicle in case of mobs? It was only $23.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I’d carry a MK9, actually I already carry one, before the aerosol grenade. I don’t like the deployment system on those. You’d have to put it out your window and press the tab down to lock. As soon as your pressing it down it starts releasing the agent.

I liked the OC “grenades” that used a powder agent and a CO2 cartridge to deploy it. They had a spoon and a couple second delay.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    Absolutely, under no circumstances, store one in your vehicle. Especially the duty vehicle you have to get in 12 hours later. Don’t ask me how I know.
    What happened? I’m curious as a former gas guy. I stored a lot of chemical agents in a CV trunk in the AZ summer and I never had an AD. I had a MK9 bulge out the bottom of the canister once. I did have a couple fire extinguishers deploy when the pin was out of the handle and gear pushed on it.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I’d carry a MK9, actually I already carry one, before the aerosol grenade. I don’t like the deployment system on those. You’d have to put it out your window and press the tab down to lock. As soon as your pressing it down it starts releasing the agent.

I liked the OC “grenades” that used a powder agent and a CO2 cartridge to deploy it. They had a spoon and a couple second delay.
    You could probably make something like them. Airsoft "flashbangs", squeeze the spoon to pierce a CO2 cartridge, it fills a plastic casing until it bursts. Gives about a 130-decibel "bang". One could conceivably fill the casing with a CS powder, before inserting the co2 cartridge holder and cartridge.

Still, I haven't convinced myself that I can come up with a good legal justification for them. The fact that you could potentially start a stampede with one of those, always gives me pause. On the one hand, the idea that you're trying to minimize damage by escaping. On the other, the potential for extreme danger from stampeding could make it all for naught.

User Tag List