Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Impulse buy: Sabre Red "grenade"

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You could probably make something like them. Airsoft "flashbangs", squeeze the spoon to pierce a CO2 cartridge, it fills a plastic casing until it bursts. Gives about a 130-decibel "bang". One could conceivably fill the casing with a CS powder, before inserting the co2 cartridge holder and cartridge.

Still, I haven't convinced myself that I can come up with a good legal justification for them. The fact that you could potentially start a stampede with one of those, always gives me pause. On the one hand, the idea that you're trying to minimize damage by escaping. On the other, the potential for extreme danger from stampeding could make it all for naught.
    .Make sure you video your roadside chat with a State Trooper as you explain your "improvised chemical munitions".
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    .Make sure you video your roadside chat with a State Trooper as you explain your "improvised chemical munitions".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    What happened? I’m curious as a former gas guy. I stored a lot of chemical agents in a CV trunk in the AZ summer and I never had an AD. I had a MK9 bulge out the bottom of the canister once. I did have a couple fire extinguishers deploy when the pin was out of the handle and gear pushed on it.
    OC grenade left in outside pouch of duty bag. Left on front seat of Dodge Charger in MS late summer during the day ( I worked nights). Came back to the worst clean up job in history. When the car got hot, you could still get a hint of OC 3 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    Instead of a fancy pants VRU, wouldn’t an ordinary full face respirator work just as well for a OC grenade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes.

The difference being the VRU can be stored neatly out of sight and yet always be available. It's purposed for emergency situations where you're not otherwise foreseeing the need; gas masks are obviously the preferred PPE for when you foresee its use.

Full face respirator masks are bulky and you'll have to store them in obvious plain sight, on your seats or something. I like being prepared, but I don't like leaving shit out in my car that people will be inclined to see and break into my car for, or drawing attention from law enforcement...nor do I like giving people the impression that I make skin-suits and lamp-shades out of people in my free-time by having a bunch of gas masks in my car.

The Ocenico M20 mentioned by MickAK is of limited usefulness, and really only purposed for specific industrial applications. The plastic bag you put over your head doesn't actually seal nor is it positive pressure, which is why it's labelled a "face shield". It will not effectively protect you against CS gas, since your eyes are still exposed, and it relies on your pursing your lips and using a nose clip to protect your airway. That face shield is really only to protect your face from splashing liquids, not vapors.

The VRU may be expensive and goofy looking, but what we're talking about requires using the right tool for the right job, not just a lucky rabbit's foot talisman.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    or drawing attention from law enforcement...nor do I like giving people the impression that I make skin-suits and lamp-shades out of people in my free-time by having a bunch of gas masks in my car.
    Don't drag me into this.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Don't drag me into this.
    That was good
    #RESIST

I showed these to a friend who lives in the hood (they live on the second floor of their house in the Austin area of Chicago, like Charlton Heston in the Omega Man.) He’s thinking it might be useful to toss down the staircase.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The Ocenico M20 mentioned by MickAK is of limited usefulness, and really only purposed for specific industrial applications. The plastic bag you put over your head doesn't actually seal nor is it positive pressure, which is why it's labelled a "face shield". It will not effectively protect you against CS gas, since your eyes are still exposed, and it relies on your pursing your lips and using a nose clip to protect your airway. That face shield is really only to protect your face from splashing liquids, not vapors.

The VRU may be expensive and goofy looking, but what we're talking about requires using the right tool for the right job, not just a lucky rabbit's foot talisman.
    It's pretty useful when escaping from an oxygen deficient atmosphere. A lot of chemicals displace oxygen pretty rapidly, so if that's the concern a respirator full face or not is just going to keep your face pretty when they find your corpse in the stairwell. I didn't recommend it for CS gas. From personal experience while the Teflon bag doesn't seal effectively or have positive pressure you can escape from an anhydrous ammonia atmosphere with one. It stings though.

The Ocenco M20 fits inside of a full face respirator fairly well in the nylon hip pouch and there's room for a slim pair of goggles as well. That's what goes in my 'Oh shit' bag because that's what I can get. I would rather have a VRU, but that's about as useful as a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range to me. There aren't any other compact oxygen supplying escape hoods on the market that I've seen. Every other oxygen supplying escape hood requires an external cylinder that's too bulky to fit in a bag along with a full face and the full face is more likely to get used.

If you have a source to purchase a VRU that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I showed these to a friend who lives in the hood (they live on the second floor of their house in the Austin area of Chicago, like Charlton Heston in the Omega Man.) He’s thinking it might be useful to toss down the staircase.
    I can visualize this. Seems hilarious to me for some reason.

Some dude yelling gas grenade, GTFO!

Maybe I have a really warped sense of humor. IDK.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    It's pretty useful when escaping from an oxygen deficient atmosphere. A lot of chemicals displace oxygen pretty rapidly, so if that's the concern a respirator full face or not is just going to keep your face pretty when they find your corpse in the stairwell.
    It's almost as if I wrote that it was for specific industrial applications.*mindblown*
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List