Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Impulse buy: Sabre Red "grenade"

Impulse buy: Sabre Red "grenade"

Worthy addition to the vehicle in case of mobs? It was only $23.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    #RESIST

Dicey employment if you don't have an oxygen lockout system on your vehicle.

I suggest a VRU to be stowed compactly, neatly, at each passenger position.

Lacking either of these countermeasures, a powdered CS irritant grenade would be preferable so that you don't incapacitate yourself/occupants. These also have adjustable timers.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Dicey employment if you don't have an oxygen lockout system on your vehicle.

I suggest a VRU to be stowed compactly, neatly, at each passenger position.

Lacking either of these countermeasures, a powdered CS irritant grenade would be preferable so that you don't incapacitate yourself/occupants. These also have adjustable timers.
    Why not set it on Recirculate and boogie on out of there? Also, definitely interesting suggestions.
    #RESIST

If you keep in the car you may want to store it in something that will contain it should it go off.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Why not set it on Recirculate and boogie on out of there?
    If you set your A/C to recirculate it won't forcefully induct the air outside into the cabin, but it'll still diffuse into the cabin regardless. Sitting behind a vehicle with poor emissions in traffic has always resulted in this in any vehicle I've ever been in, and the CS is going to be noticed much more severely.

I'm wary of depending on the ability to move as a primary countermeasure against it, as well. Crowd might not be as impressed as you're hoping. So, now you'd be in an even worse situation....powering a 4000lbs missile in a charged situation, and with compromised vision and cognitive function.

The grenade I linked to uses an "explosion" of powder that saturates a small area upon discharge, it doesn't emit over a period of time which prevents people from picking it up and throwing it away. Of course, caveat now that I'm thinking about it.....I have no idea if you can find these for sale commercially. CS gas is the defacto standard, but CS powder has its niche uses.

Regardless, the VRUs would be a good idea to add if you travel to urban areas so you don't take a hit from CS gas by police in a situation you happen to find yourself in by chance, or in the occasion of building collapse (natural disaster or terrorism) so you can breath and not die from asbestos poisoning, "9/11 disease", etc. They fit quite nicely in seatback pockets, consoles, door pockets, etc. I used to keep one with me in my daily satchel when working in NYC for the latter reason. It'll be a hell of a lot better protection and easier to breath than wearing an N95 (which I also keep in my bag). They also function in a smoked filled environment (have done so myself during internal structure fire, not stage smoke).

I imagine there's other flat-folded escape hood options available, that's just the one I'm intimately familiar with.

If you set your A/C to recirculate it won't forcefully induct the air outside into the cabin, but it'll still diffuse into the cabin regardless. Sitting behind a vehicle with poor emissions in traffic has always resulted in this in any vehicle I've ever been in, and the CS is going to be noticed much more severely.

I'm wary of depending on the ability to move as a primary countermeasure against it, as well. Crowd might not be as impressed as you're hoping. So, now you'd be in an even worse situation....powering a 4000lbs missile in a charged situation, and with compromised vision and cognitive function.

The grenade I linked to uses an "explosion" of powder that saturates a small area upon discharge, it doesn't emit over a period of time which prevents people from picking it up and throwing it away. Of course, caveat now that I'm thinking about it.....I have no idea if you can find these for sale commercially. CS gas is the defacto standard, but CS powder has its niche uses.

Regardless, the VRUs would be a good idea to add if you travel to urban areas so you don't take a hit from CS gas by police in a situation you happen to find yourself in by chance, or in the occasion of building collapse (natural disaster or terrorism) so you can breath and not die from asbestos poisoning, "9/11 disease", etc. They fit quite nicely in seatback pockets, consoles, door pockets, etc. I used to keep one with me in my daily satchel when working in NYC for the latter reason. It'll be a hell of a lot better protection and easier to breath than wearing an N95 (which I also keep in my bag). They also function in a smoked filled environment (have done so myself during internal structure fire, not stage smoke).

I imagine there's other flat-folded escape hood options available, that's just the one I'm intimately familiar with.
    You gotta stop holding in these trade secrets.

I like this idea a lot. I frequently work on upper floors of buildings that contain substantial amounts of volatile chemicals inside of them. While most of them are properly stored, my experience has been, not all labs do it right, and rarely are labs audited/inspected to rectify things on a regular basis (nor are labs fined for failure to comply at the University level, so there is little incentive to do it correctly).

Do you have a source for acquiring these? Or do you go straight to the MFG?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

I like this idea a lot. I frequently work on upper floors of buildings that contain substantial amounts of volatile chemicals inside of them. While most of them are properly stored, my experience has been, not all labs do it right, and rarely are labs audited/inspected to rectify things on a regular basis (nor are labs fined for failure to comply at the University level, so there is little incentive to do it correctly).

Amazon has these... https://www.amazon.com/iEvac-only-Am.../dp/B00812AEDW
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Fo'realz. Suffocating, choking agents, asbestos, and thick velvety fire smoke sucks balls.
    We have a substantial contract with the MFG and at my current and former assignment we hand these out like candy.

In addition to what Heavy Duty found, I imagine you could find these sorts of things at workplace safety/chemical supply companies. Just a SWAG, though.

Make sure whatever you find will function in actual smoke, the kind that buildings actually produce. I'm surprised the one that heavy duty found is...usually the thick velvety smoke will clog filters, which we found when T&Eing one of our other issued CBRNE escape hoods in a smoke filled environment. The VRUs, however, slowly release a small cartridge of 02 into the hood and have a CO2 scrubber that will function in optimum conditions up to 63 minutes in perfect resting conditions, 15 minutes under severe cardiovascular output (times approximate and subject to the error of my memory). It's a simplified rebreather escape hood, is all......filtration of thick velvety smoke can be problematic.

"avoid cities", got it
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Does $499- sound like an appropriate price ?

http://myescapehood.com/buy/

User Tag List