Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Randall fans?

No Randall fans?

Howdy, folks!

New member here....but long-time lover of the 45 in general, and Randall 45's in particular! Spent 30 years putting together my personal collection of the 10 .45 models Randall made (in excess of 100 of, anyway), including the 3 Southpaw models! Got on here, a quick search turned up NO discussion I could find of these guns....could that be??

I've got about 88 non-Randall's in my collection, including several very limited-run Colts, etc....but those Randall's are my personal favorites. Growing up, all four of my kids could spot a Randall from 3 aisles over in a gun show...LOL

Oops - sorry, forgot the "family portrait"....

Name:  Family portrait.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  30.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Welcome to the forum.

Are you talking about the cast stainless 1911-style pistols made back in the 80s? If I recall, they were one of the first companies to offer an all-stainless 1911.

This section is more about the technical aspects of pistols than aesthetic qualities or collector value. That said, please tell us more about your Randall pistols. Also, we have a Gallery section with a 1911 thread, it would be great if you can post some close-up pictures there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Are you talking about the cast stainless 1911-style pistols made back in the 80s? If I recall, they were one of the first companies to offer an all-stainless 1911.

This section is more about the technical aspects of pistols than aesthetic qualities or collector value. That said, please tell us more about your Randall pistols. Also, we have a Gallery section with a 1911 thread, it would be great if you can post some close-up pictures there.
    Oops! Sorry....one of the things I hate about a new forum...newbies understanding the posting flow - and I just proved I ARE one! I'll post up better pics in the Gallery over time - I've got 1911's from current to 1918, Briley to Aeronautica - so there's a few we can toss up! One nice thing about 1911's - about the time you think you've got all you want, ya find another...and another - just ask my long-suffering better half! LOL

Site Supporter
    So here are some questions about your Randall 1911s:

Do you shoot any of them regularly, and is there any concern over the stainless steel galling? I've heard that was a potential problem with Randall's guns, but you know that could just be internet rumor.

Also, do the Randall guns have any non-standard parts or specifications?

Finally -- if one owns a Randall in good condition, is it wise to use it or better to just keep and admire it for its collector/historical value?

So here are some questions about your Randall 1911s:

Do you shoot any of them regularly, and is there any concern over the stainless steel galling? I've heard that was a potential problem with Randall's guns, but you know that could just be internet rumor.

Also, do the Randall guns have any non-standard parts or specifications?

Finally -- if one owns a Randall in good condition, is it wise to use it or better to just keep and admire it for its collector/historical value?
    Several of them see as regular a range time as can be expected given my collection - usually 3-4 times/year. I routinely carry my LeMay, which I had modified by Briley's in Houston to feed JHP. Being a Milspec gun, they work best when fed hardball. Many folks forgot that aspect, which led to a number of them being sold off because "they won't feed my SD rounds..." As mentioned, they're Milspec, and as a result I've never encountered someone having issues (other than the usual fitment required of most 1911 parts).

As far a "use it or keep it"....well, there's not a one in my collection that hasn't been shot - including one of the Southpaw's I got about 8 years ago from a fellow collector who hadn't shot it since he bought it new.

The galling? It CAN happen, but in my experience, it's when someone ran them too dry. I grease my rails on EVERY 1911 I run, but especially the SS ones. It's always been a potential issue with any SS firearm, but I've never run into the problem on any of the SS 1911's I own - and I attribute that to my being anal about using grease for the rails.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
    Several of them see as regular a range time as can be expected given my collection - usually 3-4 times/year. I routinely carry my LeMay, which I had modified by Briley's in Houston to feed JHP. Being a Milspec gun, they work best when fed hardball. Many folks forgot that aspect, which led to a number of them being sold off because "they won't feed my SD rounds..." As mentioned, they're Milspec, and as a result I've never encountered someone having issues (other than the usual fitment required of most 1911 parts).

As far a "use it or keep it"....well, there's not a one in my collection that hasn't been shot - including one of the Southpaw's I got about 8 years ago from a fellow collector who hadn't shot it since he bought it new.

The galling? It CAN happen, but in my experience, it's when someone ran them too dry. I grease my rails on EVERY 1911 I run, but especially the SS ones. It's always been a potential issue with any SS firearm, but I've never run into the problem on any of the SS 1911's I own - and I attribute that to my being anal about using grease for the rails.
    Is your LeMay the one shown in the picture with what appear to be stag stocks? I can't quite tell, but the stocks are lighter color and have some figuring.

Is your LeMay the one shown in the picture with what appear to be stag stocks? I can't quite tell, but the stocks are lighter color and have some figuring.
    Yessir. They're fairly heavy/thick, and fit my hand like a glove.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
    Oops - sorry, forgot the "family portrait"....

Name:  Family portrait.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  30.9 KB
    These are cool. I recall Randall 1911’s being a staple of the action novels I read as a kid in the 80’s.

As Robison alluded to, while there is interest in older guns here, even in that area this is more a pistol shooting / shooting performance forum than collecting.

In the spirit of enabling, there is a shop in San Antonio which current has (or had recently) a 5” Randall. I have no affiliation but l’ll message you the name of the shop if you’re interested.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    These are cool. I recall Randall 1911’s being a staple of the action novels I read as a kid in the 80’s.

As Robison alluded to, while there is interest in older guns here, even in that area this is more a pistol shooting / shooting performance forum than collecting.

In the spirit of enabling, there is a shop in San Antonio which current has (or had recently) a 5” Randall. I have no affiliation but l’ll message you the name of the shop if you’re interested.
    If you're speaking of the Powderhorn, I actually got to see them all a couple of months ago when Dave first got them in - he knows my love of 'em! BTW - you know he closed as of April 1st, right?

If it's NOT the Powderhorn, I'm all ears - ya just never know, they might have one of the really rare ones - thanks!!

User Tag List