Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JCN likes compensators

JCN likes compensators

Since starting in Open, I’ve been experimenting with compensators.

Drilling side holes and changing comps.

And playing around with versions of my carry gun:

Name:  153A085E-9F9D-4ABC-B0BF-B366EBCB4980.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  94.6 KB

I’m starting to get a better understanding of how different comp weights and patterns contribute to recoil feel and sight tracking.

Name:  E341009A-BC21-4633-A23D-D3A80C1A2ED7.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  19.3 KB

Even with weak 9mm it does make a noticeable difference. It’s subtle but it’s there.

I have a ported barrel P365SAS as well.

One thing that I do notice is that in general I do prefer frame mounted or semi-captured comps.

So going to revisit one of the previous comps I bought.

The Dark Hour standoff comp.

I initially bought it for a 357 Sig G32… but it mounts via the polymer rail and with 357 Sig rapid fire it launched itself off the front after galling the rail notch.

I think it’ll work better with 9mm and won’t have any porpoising like tilting barrel uncaptured comps.

Thinking about this kind of setup for nightstand.

Name:  28A01FC3-9EDF-44A0-89F0-5324858A959C.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  82.0 KB

Would probably put the factory MR920 slide back on with the new RMSx and co-witnessed night sights. @GJM @YVK

Best as I can describe it, a good comp makes ammo feel like one power level down.

9 major feels like hot 9mm, hot 9mm feels like gamer ammo and gamer ammo in a micro gun feels like gamer ammo in a larger gun.

Recently I shot my Alien back to back with a comp P365 and the P365 was softer and easier to shoot if you believe that!

I still haven't gotten one. I have a tab with PMM 365 comp page open pretty much all the time but they are out of stock, but deep inside I am still somewhat reluctant. I barely work with my p365MS but I got to a 2.4 sec failure drill from concealment last weekend, and shooting wasn't really where time was lost.
    I would've had much easier time deciding if them comps had a quick attachment/detachment options like Mayhem's product.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I’m trying to locate the video of @SouthNarc testing thumb-pec shooting with compensated pistols…
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m trying to locate the video of @SouthNarc testing thumb-pec shooting with compensated pistols…
    Here’s one of someone else:

But from that kind of position, would it be much different than cylinder gap on a 357 snub?

Name:  F152C9C9-38CC-42DE-A4EB-1A9670F449F0.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  44.9 KB

Everything is trade off.

For me, it makes a small gun shoot like a bigger gun and that’s worth something.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post

But from that kind of position, would it be much different than cylinder gap on a 357 snub?

Name:  F152C9C9-38CC-42DE-A4EB-1A9670F449F0.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  44.9 KB

Everything is trade off.

For me, it makes a small gun shoot like a bigger gun and that’s worth something.
    Speaking from my ass, I'd say yes, comps are probably safer from retention than a cylinder gap, simply because there is less pressure involved and less chance of launching particles but a comp may launch the pressure more directly towards the face than a cylinder gap would. You can usually feel the pressure wave from the Comp hit your face while I don't believe that happens with most cylinder gaps (but I'm not entirely certain about that).

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Speaking from my ass, I'd say yes, comps are probably safer from retention than a cylinder gap, simply because there is less pressure involved and less chance of launching particles but a comp may launch the pressure more directly towards the face than a cylinder gap would. You can usually feel the pressure wave from the Comp hit your face while I don't believe that happens with most cylinder gaps (but I'm not entirely certain about that).
    Along that train of thought... Somewhere here is a post from nyeti about the "powerport" setup S&W put on some of their revolvers. I think the gist was that it wasn't a problem even from retention.

I believe the punchline to the above was that the port on the powerport barrels was pretty big. Which probably translates to "bleeds pressure much faster, over a wider (probably omnidirectional) area" which translates to less debris being blow in you face. That does, of course, reduce the effectiveness of the comp. But for outside-the-game comps-on-actual-carryguns that sort of thing is probably worth exploring.

Having minimal experience with comps... would I even try firing from retention with a .357 586 L-comp? Sure. Would I do the same with a 6-port 2011 gamer setup with similar ammo (125gr/1450fps)? No.

Maybe that frames the discussion. Comps aren't comps. The single port setups on something the size of a sig 365 interest me as a possible way to get the recoil of these small 9mms down to something Glock 42-ish maybe. I would be skittish about using smaller ported, multi-port units, even if they are more effective.

@GearFondler

I think it’s going to depend on the ammo and the type of retention.

Thumb-pec like @Clusterfrack suggested would be obnoxious with 357 magnum from a short barrel. Especially if you had the barrel tilted upwards.

@jh9

Yes to that end I think it’s good to consider how much unburnt powder and gas is in your cartridge at the muzzle.

Barrel length, caliber and load will dictate how much poof comes out.

Shooting weak 9mm ammo with a huge comp…. Won’t do as much.

@GearFondler

I think it’s going to depend on the ammo and the type of retention.

Thumb-pec like @Clusterfrack suggested would be obnoxious with 357 magnum from a short barrel. Especially if you had the barrel tilted upwards.

@jh9

Yes to that end I think it’s good to consider how much unburnt powder and gas is in your cartridge at the muzzle.

Barrel length, caliber and load will dictate how much poof comes out.

Shooting weak 9mm ammo with a huge comp…. Won’t do as much.
    Yep, with so many variables it's probably best to test your shit vs relying on others experiences.
    Use goggles to be best prepared as the angles involved could have debris get past glasses.
    I know my Roland with the KKM Comp and 124+P HST produces a pressure wave that will surprise you if you haven't experienced it before but I wasn't hit with anything that I could feel... I'm not sure I would even register it in a fight.

@GearFondler

I was thinking more like gelatin and paper towels for testing. Not going to use my own face lol.

Everything is trade off.

I attended the Revolver Roundup at Gunsite last month at and took a class w Greg Ellifritz that addressed this. Basically, the flagged thumb Southnarc pec index needs to be modified for a revolver. I had my 19 Carry Comp with me but shot a 4” M12 for this block of instruction. How’s that for confounding variables, cylinder gap and comp

User Tag List