Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Glock 44

Site Supporter

New Glock 44

Got a new Glock 44 for about a month but took it out this Thursday for a USPSA practice session. Folks have been shooting 22 models of production guns or conversions to save on ammo but get some practice with mag changes, etc.

First load - jams. Does it again and after some reloads. The ammo is Herter's 22 LR plated 40 gr, 1300 FPS. Some research says this not uncommon. My load technique was to insert mag and sling shot the the slide.

Some suggestions and experimentation. Only load 9 rounds. Folks on GT say that the 10 round tends to load flat instead of at angle and runs into the feed ramp. You can see a flattened nose on the jammed round. To fix that - turn mag upside down and pull on the mag tabs to get the tenth round at an angle. Or only load 9 rounds at that one doesn't go flat.

Tried that and had more success. Did another reload with 10, flat round and sling shot - jammed.

Another was to rack the gun back and lock it. insert mag and use the slide release. Seemed to work with 9 and 10.

When it ran it was fine. My first practice stage was all to the right (I'm a lefty and this is my flaw). However, on the next stages, paid attention and mostly As' and few C's.

Like the gun, the grip angle is fine. We will see at the next run what happens.

As an aside, my G42 - first time fired, it was a new one - jammed solid as a rock. Had to go back for the upgrade. I recall Greg Hamilton saying the G17s were rock solid, after that - not so.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Got a new Glock 44 for about a month but took it out this Thursday for a USPSA practice session. Folks have been shooting 22 models of production guns or conversions to save on ammo but get some practice with mag changes, etc.

First load - jams. Does it again and after some reloads. The ammo is Herter's 22 LR plated 40 gr, 1300 FPS. Some research says this not uncommon. My load technique was to insert mag and sling shot the the slide.

Some suggestions and experimentation. Only load 9 rounds. Folks on GT say that the 10 round tends to load flat instead of at angle and runs into the feed ramp. You can see a flattened nose on the jammed round. To fix that - turn mag upside down and pull on the mag tabs to get the tenth round at an angle. Or only load 9 rounds at that one doesn't go flat.

Tried that and had more success. Did another reload with 10, flat round and sling shot - jammed.

Another was to rack the gun back and lock it. insert mag and use the slide release. Seemed to work with 9 and 10.

When it ran it was fine. My first practice stage was all to the right (I'm a lefty and this is my flaw). However, on the next stages, paid attention and mostly As' and few C's.

Like the gun, the grip angle is fine. We will see at the next run what happens.

As an aside, my G42 - first time fired, it was a new one - jammed solid as a rock. Had to go back for the upgrade. I recall Greg Hamilton saying the G17s were rock solid, after that - not so.
    Hopefully it smooths out as you get some rounds down range and find out what ammo it really likes. I have a .22 conversion for my G22 that runs well and is very accurate. It really loves the CCI plated ammo both standard and high velocity (not Stingers.) After seeing what @lwt16 was doing at 25yards I'm really considering a G44 as I like that frame size. I need to see how they draw from the Safariland ALS holsters to make up my mind.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

When the Glock 44 came out, the buzz was that it could eat all 22LR ammo. That was a lie! My gun will eat only ammo that goes over 1100 fps. I have a Colt Cadet, Browning Buckmark, Beretta Neos and Ruger 22 Mk IV. The Buckmark runs flawlessly though it is a PITA to take apart and clean. The 44 is a great gun to do cheap practice without using my Glock 45.

Site Supporter
    Finding a range of 22 LR nowadays is pain in the butt. I also agree that taking apart a Buckmark is a pain in the butt. Been there.

I have some other random boxes of 22s. I might try another Herter run just to see before I use up them.

Site Supporter
    I have a 44 that was purchased shortly after they became available. If fed a diet of 40gr ammo it runs all the time. Even when we need that “extra push over the cliff” and I top off the loaded mag to go to 11, it runs.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

I left my slide locked back for a week in my safe and lubed it with WeaponShield after my first outing was less than reliable.

It runs great now. Occasionally, my RWS stash will hang up but I suspect it’s the ammo as it has a case lube on it. Someone suggested cleaning that off and I did so with some of them. The problem went away.

Mine is great at 25/50 yards on B8/B6 targets. It’s great for first round from concealment aside from the lack of weight.

Really love that little pistol.

Regards.

Name:  9C9B596B-5FBB-4914-914D-FE812C8E3C22.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  41.3 KB

Site Supporter
    I enjoy my G44. Got it last March. Cheap practice, reliable. Fits the holsters and magazine carriers I use for my G19X. Not as accurate as some other .22s - I’ll never try to shoot another rabbit with it unless I need meat and don’t have another gun with me, and *never* with a lead round nose. It will definitely hit the rabbit, but my M18 S&W will hit the eyeball.

Ammo in the G44: Federal bulk plated 36gr HP is very reliable. I don’t recall a problem with it. Blazer .22 is pretty reliable for a good while, but has a stickier lube and after it builds up, the gun doesn’t run as smoothly. A variety of rounds work pretty well to very well, but I have had some rounds get jacked up in the loading cycle. Fewer as the gun has gotten more rounds through it. Stingers work, but I probably have less than 100 of them through it, so that isn’t really proof of good function. Aguila that are Eley primed seem to all work well, especially the HV. CCI SV may or may not cycle the action. CCI Quiet are nicely accurate in it, but will not even begin to cycle the action. Minimags, surprisingly, actually have an occasional misdeed, as do all Winchester products. Remington Golden Bullets surprisingly work well in it, which is hilarious because it is functional, accuracy, and ignition garbage in almost every gun I’ve ever used it in. Most Eley loads work okay, but aren’t worth the expense because they aren’t noticeably more accurate, where they usually will shade everything else in most of my .22s, so I reserve them for max accuracy needs. M18, for example, loves all things Eley and will drill ridiculously tight groups. I’ve actually stopped and examined a target to see where the other bullets were going, and seen that they were all going in the same hole.

Magazines: my 3 factory magazines work. The 17rd ProMag is a neat idea, but loading it is painful and actual functioning reliability is poopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    When the Glock 44 came out, the buzz was that it could eat all 22LR ammo. That was a lie! My gun will eat only ammo that goes over 1100 fps. I have a Colt Cadet, Browning Buckmark, Beretta Neos and Ruger 22 Mk IV. The Buckmark runs flawlessly though it is a PITA to take apart and clean. The 44 is a great gun to do cheap practice without using my Glock 45.
    Try this site for Buckmark disassembly and assembly. One big key for me was to remove the barrel and sight rib as a unit; that makes dealing with the slide much easier.

http://chim.embarqspace.com/dissecting/4529714459

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

This. Use the slide catch.

I use an overhand 'pull to the rear and crisply release' as opposed to slingshot and it works. My wife tends to slingshot instead of release and it gets her.

Overall, I think the G44 needs to be held firmly when reloading, regardless of technique. Also, firmly insert the mag, versus pounding it in.

You might also want to polish the feed ramp.

Another thing that I do, which may or may not help, is after the mag is loaded, I pull the follower to the bottom, as you do, and gently tap the spine of the mag on the bench. This helps make sure the first round is oriented properly.

Final thought, take a look at the first round in the mag after you remove it from the mag pouch, you might find it is out of place. If so figure what caused it.

I don’t know what the difference is but if I rest the base plate on a table or even the tailgate of my truck the mags load fine. Try loading them in my hands and I have to fiddle with rounds 8.9 and 10 or else the load flat.

My gun has not been ammo sensitive. I’ve ran mini mags to SV and 36-40 grain ammo. As long as the last 3 rounds loaded are not flat, it’ll run.

User Tag List