Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Glock 44

Mine has not been ammo sensitive with the 4 different rounds I have tried. 40gr Blazer (smoky), Win 333, Remington Golden, Automatch.

Seems to like Automatch the most (accuracy wise).

I have noted that when loading, I have to be careful to "lift" the nose of the final round before insertion otherwise it will sometimes jam against the feed ramp. I usually do that by pushing down and pulling back on the rim of the top cartridge so that it is pointing "up" slightly. It doesn't have a problem as long as I remember to do that.

It is more prevalent with 10 rds loaded than 8 or 9. With only 8 or 9 rounds loaded I can pretty much just load and go.

Loading it isn't any more "fiddly" than my AA conversion used to be and it is much more tolerant of different varieties/weights of .22 than the AA was. The AA would only really run well on Golden (well except for the normal duds, low powder charges and an occasional round missing brass). It would somewhat run Automatch (failure to feed mostly) but wouldn't run anything else that I tried.

No ammo sensitivity with the 5 different rounds I’ve run through mine. Only beef I have with it is the plastic rear dovetail not fitting my fave Ameriglo sights. The rear Ameriglo’s slide around in the dovetail. I’m thinking of trying to drill and tap the rear sight for a dovetail or finding a similar set with a set screw. Still speedy with the factory sights though from concealed carry, appendix BRC ACS, 7 yards, 3x5 card.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Assuming proper placement of top round in mag, mine has run 100% on high velocity ammo through about 4,000 rds now. Standard velocity is hit and miss.

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but my searching skills are lacking.

Is it OK to dry fire the G44?

And, if so, out of curiosity, what is different about it compared to most rimfires, where the general recommendation is not to dry fire them?

Thanks.

Yea it’s fine to dry fire
    Says so in the manual and I saw an interview with an engineer from the design team that said so too
    Some (not all) rim fires the firing pin will strike the edge of an empty chamber

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    I'm sure this has been mentioned, but my searching skills are lacking.

Is it OK to dry fire the G44?

And, if so, out of curiosity, what is different about it compared to most rimfires, where the general recommendation is not to dry fire them?

Thanks.
    Because of the position of the firing pin, necessitated by the location of the priming compound on the rim of the case, the tip of the firing pin crushes a spot on the rim of the case. Remove the case, and the firing pin is lined up with the edge of the chamber. Smack that spot often enough with the firing pin in dry fire, and the tip of the pin could peen, the side of the chamber mouth could peen, or both, and the tip of the firing pin in an extreme case could break. If the side of the chamber mouth is peened, then chambering and extraction may be compromised. If the firing pin is damaged or broken, ignition will be compromised.

Ruger pistols, revolvers, and 10/22 carbines are specifically designed to prevent this. The G44 must be dry fired to disassemble, as well as the Ruger MK series of pistols. Rugers have a firing pin stop in their design preventing them from quite moving forward enough to impact the chamber mouth. As far as I can tell, the G44 firing pin tip does not impact the chamber mouth, but I could be mistaken.

Site Supporter
    When I was asked to help a friend whose G44 would not function, I did this. I loaded one round into the magazine, charged the pistol, and fired. I did this 100 times. Then I polished the entire barrel with Flitz to make it very smooth. I polished the feed ramp with same. Next I polished the chamber with Flitz. Then I disassembled the slide and cleaned out the firing pin channel and left the channel dry. The last thing I did was disassemble the magazines, clean, and wipe out the inside with a cloth loaded with silicone. Finally I lubed the pistol with Slip 2000 and charged the man a diet Dr Pepper. It worked from then on.

Site Supporter
    A second run with the gun. As seen above the first run was full of jams. I didn't modify the gun or polished anything, I did read this thread and do some more research. What I found was:

1. Didn't jam with 9 rounds in the mag
    2. With 10, if one made sure that the first round was above and not into that lip on the top of the magazines, didn't jam
    3. Never jammed during firing a mag.

Other things, I wonder why 22 pistol mags work by those tabs on the side and not just loading like other mags. Not my lane and curious. If you pull them to far down, the rounds go in at bad angles.

The ammo was Herter's - Cabelas, BP brand - Geez - it was really smokey.

Minor annoyances - on the first mag, something hit my trigger finger and cut it. What? Time out to control bleeding. The empties were bouncing off the lane sides.

The range was one outside of Batavia, NY - the Firing Pin. NIce place, very busy. The local Erie county ranges are usually part of an expensive club (unless you shoot a match). There were two drop in ranges in Erie County. One closed and the other is screwing around with Covid and remodeling. If the area could support it, one of the modern ranges like we see in TX would take these guys out, not that I would want to hurt someone's business.

The store part had lots 223, 7.62x39,51 and hunting shotgun rounds. NO handgun ammo.

So I think the gun will work, the mag is the problem as the first round of 10 interacts with that lip unless you fiddle with it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    A second run with the gun. As seen above the first run was full of jams. I didn't modify the gun or polished anything, I did read this thread and do some more research. What I found was:

1. Didn't jam with 9 rounds in the mag
    2. With 10, if one made sure that the first round was above and not into that lip on the top of the magazines, didn't jam
    3. Never jammed during firing a mag.

Other things, I wonder why 22 pistol mags work by those tabs on the side and not just loading like other mags. Not my lane and curious. If you pull them to far down, the rounds go in at bad angles.

The ammo was Herter's - Cabelas, BP brand - Geez - it was really smokey.

Minor annoyances - on the first mag, something hit my trigger finger and cut it. What? Time out to control bleeding. The empties were bouncing off the lane sides.

The range was one outside of Batavia, NY - the Firing Pin. NIce place, very busy. The local Erie county ranges are usually part of an expensive club (unless you shoot a match). There were two drop in ranges in Erie County. One closed and the other is screwing around with Covid and remodeling. If the area could support it, one of the modern ranges like we see in TX would take these guys out, not that I would want to hurt someone's business.

The store part had lots 223, 7.62x39,51 and hunting shotgun rounds. NO handgun ammo.

So I think the gun will work, the mag is the problem as the first round of 10 interacts with that lip unless you fiddle with it.
    Tabs make it easier to load. Some centerfire magazines have them, too. There are, or were, accessory loading assistants for Ruger pistol magazines that were basically a disk that fit down over the mouth of the magazine and pulled the button down for you as you loaded. My dad, the first time he loaded my Ruger .22 magazine, just shoved the cartridge in with his thumb like you would for a service pistol. Every .22 pistol magazine I’ve seen has a tab of some kind to pull down the follower, but rifle magazines don’t, so I suppose they aren’t exactly necessary.

The G44 ProMag tabs are vestigial and not easy to use, but it is nearly impossible to get the cartridges to stack right for functioning without them. I much prefer the factory G44 mags, even if they may be a little finicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Mine has not been ammo sensitive with the 4 different rounds I have tried. 40gr Blazer (smoky), Win 333, Remington Golden, Automatch.

Seems to like Automatch the most (accuracy wise).

I have noted that when loading, I have to be careful to "lift" the nose of the final round before insertion otherwise it will sometimes jam against the feed ramp. I usually do that by pushing down and pulling back on the rim of the top cartridge so that it is pointing "up" slightly. It doesn't have a problem as long as I remember to do that.

It is more prevalent with 10 rds loaded than 8 or 9. With only 8 or 9 rounds loaded I can pretty much just load and go.

Loading it isn't any more "fiddly" than my AA conversion used to be and it is much more tolerant of different varieties/weights of .22 than the AA was. The AA would only really run well on Golden (well except for the normal duds, low powder charges and an occasional round missing brass). It would somewhat run Automatch (failure to feed mostly) but wouldn't run anything else that I tried.
    Mine can’t go through a whole mag of auto match without a malfunction. And the ones that do fire, They were the least accurate. Almost as if the ammo is underpowered. I kept having failure to ejects and a few failure to fires. But mine has been 100% with federal lightning, blazer 40gr LRN, and golden bullets.

User Tag List