Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me why this is a terrible idea...

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    For those of you with some woodworking / metalworking experience...

How bad of an idea is this?

Attachment 70601

To try and square up a channel to mount this:

Attachment 70602

It seems like it would be fairly simple to set up something that could slowly bore out the channel to fit the optic mount and then drill / tap for the mount.

Am I being naively optimistic?

Since the barrel seems like it will work with a little fitting, it’s really only the optic mount that I’d send it out for and waiting 4-6 months on it seems like it’s a lot for 1 hour of work.
    The jigs you posted... While it is amazing what you can buy from China now days I can almost guarantee that all of those items will include a serious lack of precision with a lot of slop. That doesn't mean you couldn't make it work but it will be difficult. I bought my own cheap X-Y table to use for modding Glock frames and found that I could be just as precise doing it all by hand... Not because my hands are so perfect but rather that the sloppy tolerances of the table prevented truly machined results. There's a reason that the good stuff costs so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    The jigs you posted... While it is amazing what you can buy from China now days I can almost guarantee that all of those items will include a serious lack of precision with a lot of slop. That doesn't mean you couldn't make it work but it will be difficult. I bought my own cheap X-Y table to use for modding Glock frames and found that I could be just as precise doing it all by hand... Not because my hands are so perfect but rather that the sloppy tolerances of the table prevented truly machined results. There's a reason that the good stuff costs so much more.
    Oh man.... what that makes me think is that I’m going to try and freehand it....

Get ready for some interesting posts ahead....

Name:  BF253158-D820-4074-9730-8E84FB379552.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  68.2 KB

Barrel is on! Was not hard to do.

Debating on either free handing the optic mount or grinding a pseudo front sight for it.

Okay, ordered some small Dremel attachments, a #45 drill and a #3-56 tap...

Option 1 or Option 2?

Option 1: Mount optic
    Name:  3DF54B41-53F3-4453-87EF-43A372FC045A.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  25.6 KB

Option 2: cut barrel and have ultra low profile snag free sight

Name:  CEFE4BC9-F100-4506-A6D3-E6C9B6F3158E.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  66755BAD-149D-46FF-91AC-17FC495CBCBA.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  77.4 KB

I have a perfectly good 4” M66 and 3” 686+ lying around if I ever wanted to just shoot 357/38.

The 686+ will take an optic mount, no problem.

So what niche am I really looking for with this build?

The 327PC was my diaper bag gun for a while since it has a Magnatrigger installed so in that regard, maybe it should also stay a “fighting revolver.”

The Frankenightguard has the 2.5” barrel and that has an optic and 9mm cylinder conversion.

With the longer barrel, this one might be better off staying 357 magnum...

Hmm. Leaning more towards a close and dirty gun. Maybe I’ll do the low profile rudimentary sight and make it a thin and snag free gun.

Every time I’m in the middle of a project and think “I have probably stepped out of my skill set here... ah what the hell” - I’m going to think of this thread. And I mean that in the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Every time I’m in the middle of a project and think “I have probably stepped out of my skill set here... ah what the hell” - I’m going to think of this thread. And I mean that in the best way.
    Me too. I still have a rem 11-48 I need to fix.

I vote for a 3" .357 with fixed sight

Name:  54A9B99E-86B6-4BDA-892B-AF6CD1DF44D3.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  46.1 KB

It worked! Velocities weren’t earth shattering, but it’s reasonable for target ammo.

Currently leaning towards making a copy of the Frankenightguard with a 3”-3.5” barrel and using the spare cylinder @OlongJohnson sold me. Maybe with an SRO and shoot 9mm....

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Name:  54A9B99E-86B6-4BDA-892B-AF6CD1DF44D3.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  46.1 KB

It worked! Velocities weren’t earth shattering, but it’s reasonable for target ammo.

Currently leaning towards making a copy of the Frankenightguard with a 3”-3.5” barrel and using the spare cylinder @OlongJohnson sold me. Maybe with an SRO and shoot 9mm....
    What ammo?

User Tag List