Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me why this is a terrible idea...

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If you explain what Cirillo has to do with what I wrote, I'll probably learn something interesting.
    Jim Cirillo took more than one S&W revolver and had them converted to use the DW barrel and shroud arrangement. That man was a visionary master as much as he was a brilliant shooter and tactician in the LE gunfighting arena.

If you explain what Cirillo has to do with what I wrote, I'll probably learn something interesting.
    I believe Cirillo had DW barrels and shrouds made up to fit S&W guns. He got the length shroud he wanted and the next longer barrel and had the back end threaded to fit the S&W frame.

An earlier post made mention of the muzzle widget and the screw holding it together. I dont think the widget and screw are what hold the shroud on, but may be mistaken. I think its a separate part and not related to barrel attachment. This is a guess, somebody likely knows the answer, but I have a hard time thinking a screw like that can hold a barrel shroud in place.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-18-2021 at 08:38 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Cool.

I'd seen this before, but didn't know Cirillo did that, too. (Or maybe first.)

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63354

I guess I should finally read his book one of these days.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Cool.

I'd seen this before, but didn't know Cirillo did that, too. (Or maybe first.)

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63354

I guess I should finally read his book one of these days.
    You should :-)

Name:  86BB89DE-A183-4A61-AB16-6B33A8005EE6.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  36.8 KB
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

The world is full of good and desirable guns utterly ruined by someone who's ideas are better* than their actual skills.

*At least in their own minds.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The world is full of good and desirable guns utterly ruined by someone who's ideas are better* than their actual skills.

*At least in their own minds.
    I have moved on to my next bad idea, but this one might be done via a professional.

My 327 PC has a cracked shroud from when the bag it was in fell onto something hard. And I’ve always been disappointed in that short barrel performance (for whatever reason, lower velocities than my J frames)!

Name:  22A9AD10-FEDA-488B-9979-CC231C74089D.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  35.7 KB

It has a barrel nut similar to the Dan Wessons and I’ve had the barrel off before.

Name:  82337C56-2985-47A1-B85A-9F7A8701CFA3.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  31.8 KB

The rear is an integrated sight.

Name:  A928112A-0DFB-4132-94E7-D1797FE64B71.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  49.0 KB

So I’m going to see if Pinnacle will do a custom 3” barrel and mill the top of the frame to accept an RDS adapter.

If the barrel is 0.354-355 that should make the 9mm decently accurate.

Fingers crossed that they’ll take it on!

I believe it's in one of his books. 4" (cut and rethreaded from a 6") DW barrel and shroud in a S&W M29 frame.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I believe it's in one of his books. 4" (cut and rethreaded from a 6") DW barrel and shroud in a S&W M29 frame.
    See pic in post #24
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Dean Grennell once showed a Smith & Wesson with Dan Wesson barrel and shroud.
    Work done by a gunsmith named Smith, so Grennell, always on the lookout for a pun called it the Smith & Smith & Wesson & Wesson.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If I had a lathe capable of doing the work, I'd probably mess with a Model 67 to convert it to a DW barrel nut. I've seen reports over on BENOS that the two-piece 67s are more accurate than the older ones, but off the top of my head, the dash number that added the two piece barrel was the one after the one that added the lock. So going back to the last pre-lock dash number and making that a two-piece that didn't rely on S&W's QC for forcing cone, cylinder gap, crown, etc., is somewhat interesting.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List