Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me why this is a terrible idea...

Site Supporter
    If it’s a one piece barrel I say cut it. It’s not like you might need to sell it in order to buy food for your kids next month. It’s a chunk of machined steell. I don’t believe guns are special things to never be touched or broken.

It’s a mass produced tool that would be easy enough to replace, it’s not unique, it’s not special, and it’s yours. Just don’t use a damn angle grinder.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Pinnacle revolver does these kind of customs for pretty cheap ($150-250).

Maybe I should just send it out if I don’t get the velocities I’m looking for out of the 2.5”
    I wasn't aware of Pinnacle until now, but it looks like they do nice work. https://pinnaclehighperformance.com/services

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If I was going to do that, I'd have someone make a shroud (or maybe hack up a shroud off https://everygunpart.com/) and spin up a barrel that used a DW barrel nut, so I could swap it around with other bad ideas, adjust the cylinder gap, etc. You could get an actual .355 groove match grade barrel blank that way, too.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I've been looking for a 3-4" 8-shot 9mm revolver. Any recommendations? There are some retired Smith models that I'm not familiar with, does something like that exist?
    Performance Centrr 986 Pro has a 5” barrel, and is a 7 shot L frame, while the 547 is a 6 shot K frame. The only 8 shot I am aware of is the 929 you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    If it’s a one piece barrel I say cut it.
    Do it! If you're really concerned about velocity you could cut it incrementally until length and velocity are what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If I was going to do that, I'd have someone make a shroud (or maybe hack up a shroud off https://everygunpart.com/) and spin up a barrel that used a DW barrel nut, so I could swap it around with other bad ideas, adjust the cylinder gap, etc. You could get an actual .355 groove match grade barrel blank that way, too.
    The Cirillo plan. If you reload, I wouldn't even worry about .355", just load .357" bullets.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I've been looking for a 3-4" 8-shot 9mm revolver. Any recommendations? There are some retired Smith models that I'm not familiar with, does something like that exist?
    TK Custom will convert just about any steel .357 cylinder to 9mm. So you can send in any of the current production 4" 627 Pros and have them converted.

https://www.moonclips.com/services/machining-sw

Since you already have a 929 you're probably up on 9mm cylinders and stuck brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Do it! If you're really concerned about velocity you could cut it incrementally until length and velocity are what you want.
    I guess I should wait until my 9mm chambered Frankenightguard cylinder comes back and bench test it for accuracy. That might be the determining factor of whether I feel compelled to do a 9mm dedicated carry revolver with 8 shot moons.

But... if I’m going to send it out to be professionally done in the future... what would stop me from hacking it up first (leaving some length) and have it trimmed and cleaned up professionally in the future?

I think the point of just being able to buy a new one in the future is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    TK Custom will convert just about any steel .357 cylinder to 9mm. So you can send in any of the current production 4" 627 Pros and have them converted.

https://www.moonclips.com/services/machining-sw

Since you already have a 929 you're probably up on 9mm cylinders and stuck brass.
    Thanks! That’s where my Nightguard cylinder is at right now. I’m just wondering how much accuracy drop off there will be shooting 9mm out of a 357 barrel at 25 yards. If it’s 5 inch spread bench rested, I won’t be able to do semiauto COF or things like the No Fail test with it.

I’m looking for at least stock Glock barrel accuracy.

Ive cut a few .22 rifles, a bunch of shotguns, and most recently my ruger m77mk2 in 7x57.

Hacksaw, file, drill.

I use a new drill bit to cut a crown for the rifles.

Ive never felt the accuracy got worse

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The Cirillo plan.
    If you explain what Cirillo has to do with what I wrote, I'll probably learn something interesting.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List