Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me why this is a terrible idea...

Tell me why this is a terrible idea...

Got to thinking that my “Frankenightguard” 9mm fighting revolver is going to be pretty sweet, but what about something with a 3-4” barrel...

Hmm. I have a 929...

And I have an angle grinder...

Name:  ED3B07F6-186F-4F3C-B80F-7FADD4D00A4F.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  86.4 KB

Tell me why this is a terrible idea... I know places will cut and make it pretty, but it doesn’t need a front sight if it has a red dot...

Site Supporter
    If it’s a newer gun, it probably has a two-piece barrel with a shroud and sleeve. So bad idea.

I guess you're being serious?

I've hacksawed a Shotty barrel but it didn't have rifling. Unless you can crown the barrel I can't imagine you ending up with a clean cut.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I guess you're being serious?

I've hacksawed a Shotty barrel but it didn't have rifling. Unless you can crown the barrel I can't imagine you ending up with a clean cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    If it’s a newer gun, it probably has a two-piece barrel with a shroud and sleeve. So bad idea.
    Okay, so I guess we have established it’s a bad idea...

But does this change anyone’s mind?

Name:  CFD8FCC4-AA51-49B2-9D9F-56B1E1CF9CCE.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  24.8 KB

This particular model has an endcap that is secured onto the end of the shroud. Presumably it holds the two together.

If I cut the shroud, then cut the barrel a cm longer and then drilled and tapped a hole...

I could put the original end cap on a shorter barrel. I was thinking of cutting then Dremel stoning for a pseudo crown.

But looks like it’s probably best left to a professional. And maybe not even worthwhile over the 2.5” barrel of the Frankenightguard. I’m just getting itchy waiting for the 9mm cylinder conversion!

If you do not have the 2 piece barrel, I would find a porta-band 10 Amp Deep Cut Variable Speed Band Saw Kit (harborfreight.com). It will produce less heat and a better cut. I used one to cut down a .22 rifle barrel that had its crown damaged, It was dropped on a rock from height and not me, the rifle was given to me so it was worth the fix. I used a piloted square end cutter to true up the cut and finished with a 11 degree crown cutter. I got these from the Midway mail order catalog, now you can get them from their web sight or Brownells. Good luck and use plenty of cutting oil.

Name:  DE279699-23A9-4CB2-80B4-790B1C452BE3.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  40.1 KB
    Name:  80A2212D-49BA-4276-9987-2E26D32D094F.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  31.3 KB

Pinnacle revolver does these kind of customs for pretty cheap ($150-250).

Maybe I should just send it out if I don’t get the velocities I’m looking for out of the 2.5”

Interesting article about crowning and accuracy. Maybe not as important in a self defense revolver?

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...mper-accuracy/

Site Supporter
    Leave it be, trade for or buy a shorter barreled revolver. Get it done professionally if you must.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Name:  DE279699-23A9-4CB2-80B4-790B1C452BE3.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  40.1 KB
    Name:  80A2212D-49BA-4276-9987-2E26D32D094F.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  31.3 KB

Pinnacle revolver does these kind of customs for pretty cheap ($150-250).

Maybe I should just send it out if I don’t get the velocities I’m looking for out of the 2.5”

That would be cheaper than buying the cutters and takes away the risk of self FUBAR. I had nothing to lose. I don't know how that rifle shot pre injury but after I gave it a new crown it was about a 3 inch gun at 75 yards. It was a Winchester and I expected it to be better. I don't know if it was my amateur gunsmithing or something else that caused it not to shoot well. I sold it to a tractor driver on a spud farm outside Blackfoot Idaho before I left out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Leave it be, trade for or buy a shorter barreled revolver. Get it done professionally if you must.
    I've been looking for a 3-4" 8-shot 9mm revolver. Any recommendations? There are some retired Smith models that I'm not familiar with, does something like that exist?

User Tag List