Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Ready to upgrade free-float handguards

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    I am a huge fan of Centurion Arms rails. They have options that mount to the factory barrel nut or their own proprietary system. These days, I would choose an MLOK option. That way, you can run it slick or attach whatever you want. I have Centurion Rails on multiple guns and the only thing I might change would be to upgrade to MLOK rails vs the quad rails that I have now.
    Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    + another for Centurion's. They are two piece and don't require removal of the gas block.
    To clarify, Many centurion rails use the standard GI type barrel nut, however, the rails the OP has on his rifles may, or may not use a standard GI type barrel nut. My guess from looking at them is they do not use GI barrel nuts.

Also the flip up front sight gas block on the OP's 16" rifle would need to be swapped out or modified to fit under the rails.

There’s a ton of good options out there for continuous top rail but not too many for keeping the flip front sight/gas block.

If you really want to keep that, the only thing I would consider is a 12” Centurion C4 with the cutout for the front sight. It uses a stock/gi barrel nut which are easily found (I’ll give you one if you need one).

You may need to trim the gas block around top on the 18” to fit under a rail, but that’s not a big deal at all.

The absolute best rail for using a bipod , IMO, is a LaRue because it attaches like a union while most everything else attaches like a hose clamp. The second best and likely 100% good enough would be a Geissele MK8. Super tough and a LOT easier to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Another option is the LaRue LAT or SAT handguards (I prefer the LAT) they cost $10.00 an inch from 7 to 13.2 inches. They are also generally not in stock, it took me several months to get my 13.2" LAT.
    I also recently (quarantine furlough project...) went all fan boy for the LAT. I had the four sided cheese grater LaRue for years and wanted to lose some weight. I ended up with 10" on my 9mm and 300BO, and 11" on my mid length 5.56, and now have a 13.2" on order for my 18" sort of game gun. I like the attachment scheme and I think they are a bargain. They have the rail all along the top, but they are pretty svelte overall. As Dan mentioned, they likely build a batch, sell them all, then put them back in the production queue. It will either be a few days or a few months (my first one I ordered Oct 1st and got it in the middle of Feb), but they do not charge until it ships. Who knows how long my current order for the 13.2" will sit out there (NBD, that gun is wearing the 12" cheese grater version so no rush), but if they have the size you want sitting there it will ship out.

Here is a pic of my 300BO with the 10" LAT (I used the green Magpul stuff to help flag it as my 300BO):

Name:  MMc 300BO.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  24.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    They are also generally not in stock, it took me several months to get my 13.2" LAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I also recently (quarantine furlough project...) went all fan boy for the LAT. I had the four sided cheese grater LaRue for years and wanted to lose some weight. I ended up with 10" on my 9mm and 300BO, and 11" on my mid length 5.56, and now have a 13.2" on order for my 18" sort of game gun.
    Bumping this necro thread and quoting myself because, no shit, I just got a shipping notice for the 13.2 LAT I order at the end of March, last year...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Bumping this necro thread and quoting myself because, no shit, I just got a shipping notice for the 13.2 LAT I order at the end of March, last year...
    Better late than never, right?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    You mean better LAT than never?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Name:  AC62EEDE-328E-4C15-8AB7-FBE05D0DFA36.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  35.0 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Tip your server!

I did call them in March when the order had a birthday, just to make sure everything was correct with the order. I was nice about it and the gal I spoke with was friendly and helpful, but when I mentioned it had been a year she didn't act like that was something unusual.

As I mentioned, the only reason I need/want this is to be consistent with the other three (9mm, 223, 300BO) with the LAT. I do think they are nice, and a bargain. Now I can stack them all together and post a picture in the Long Guns Gallery thread.

I’m reviving this necro-thread, with Black Friday in mind…

Many thanks for all the help. I still haven’t “pulled the trigger “ on this, but want to. I’m looking for improved ergonomics and form-factor on both uppers. I do not anticipate adding optics or other alignment-critical accessories to the hand guard, so the continuous 12 o’clock rail is not a factor. Aero makes the hand guard it’s rails at 12 and 6 at the forward end—does anyone else? What is the Aero reputation?

I’d love to keep that flip-up front on The Ghost, and lose the 4-sided cheese grater, if possible…. What are options…?

Someone recommended having the Wilson tapped for a flash hider/muzzle device. What would be the real advantage?

RFI: Ready to upgrade free-float handguards

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Many thanks for all the help. I still haven’t “pulled the trigger “ on this, but want to. I’m looking for improved ergonomics and form-factor on both uppers. I do not anticipate adding optics or other alignment-critical accessories to the hand guard, so the continuous 12 o’clock rail is not a factor. Aero makes the hand guard it’s rails at 12 and 6 at the forward end—does anyone else? What is the Aero reputation?

I’d love to keep that flip-up front on The Ghost, and lose the 4-sided cheese grater, if possible…. What are options…?

Someone recommended having the Wilson tapped for a flash hider/muzzle device. What would be the real advantage?
    I’ve never seen BCM use a barrel like that, though it’s possible in their very early days I guess. Easy button is to buy two BCM MCMRs and send both to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works.

Is there a reason you don’t want a pic rail on top?

Putting a muzzle device on the Wilson will probably go a long ways to minimizing flash and/or recoil depending what you use. I’d absolutely get it done since you’ll probably be sending it off anyways.

ETA - depending on where you are in CO, d. wilson is in Denver and another solid AR smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List