Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fantastic shooting by Fremont CA motorcycle cop

A perfect scenario with a perfect outcome.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Incredible response under incredible stress! Way to go Burch.... As a motor cop, I wonder if he (they) train with their gloves on. Any clue on the handgun they carry, and used by Officer Burch? I’m thinking a P320 of some nature.
    And I read someplace, the investigation felt the AlphaHotel was trying to get to the AR on the motor.

Additional image that gives a sense of ranges, albeit slant involved...some things moved, but you can see the relative position of suspect vehicle, dumped motor, and (probably) the brush to the officer's right when he engages:

Name:  Motor - Copy.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  70.0 KB

Very glad the officer came out on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Very hard to gauge distance in the video. Any guesses at the range he took the shots?
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    My guess is about 12-15 yards (based on the width of an interstate lane being 12 feet and the suspect looking to be about the distance of 3 lanes away).
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My very unexperienced estimate is no more than 15 yards. I counted 10 to 12 steps from where he fired to the position he took by his downed motorcycle.
    Agreed that it’s probably ~12-15 yards. I liked that the officer didn’t rush the shots and didn’t spray and pray. Perfect cadence for that situation.

I don't get it.
    Is getting killed better than getting jail time for stealing???

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    I don't get it.
    I don't think it is wise to assume he was capable of reasoning like the rest of us. Without knowing the specifics of this perp, we know that criminals in general tend to:

Have below average IQs, suggesting they are less capable of looking ahead to weigh the consequences of their actions.

Be young, often before the part of the brain responsible for weighing consequences has fully developed (why auto insurance costs more for those under ~26).

Be men in their years of peak testosterone production (more likely to respond aggressively to confrontations).

Have less to lose (generally from poor socioeconomic situations with little hope for near-term improvement "the right way").

Obviously not everyone from those categories is criminal, but if you took 100 people at random from society and compared them with 100 people falling in the above categories, you'd see a lot more instances of (dumb/short sighted) criminal behavior among the later.

Site Supporter
    I don't get it.
    For a lot of people yes. The the same people would also happily trade your life or a cops life to avoid jail. If you can’t understand the thought process then you just need to accept the fact that just like water is wet bad guys don’t think like you do right now.

I’m not trying to be a dick, but too many people spend too much time worrying about “why” some humans are capable of acts thqt others either aren’t or have had socialized out of them. Human beings are the apex predator of our planet and the only reason there are even surviving populations of other large predators is because we decided as a species that they add to aesthetic.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I don't get it.
    I tend to belief criminals live in the moment with little impulse control. They don’t think about the consequences of their action in the future and act on them. A lot, if not most, grew up in a violent subculture where the use of violence happens all the time. They don’t hesitate to use it if it furthers what they want. We are prey to career criminals.

If you haven’t read any of Marc MacYoung’s books I’d encourage you too. He talks about this extensively.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    I don't get it.
    This dude also had apparently committed a prior act of attempted murder, where he shot a victim repeatedly, including in the back of the head as the man lay bleeding on the ground.

I’m not losing any sleep over the felon taking a dirt nap. He earned it, and a good cop gave it to him.

I don't get it.
    Trying to understand and rationalize the actions of sociopaths will leave you with a headache.

When one realizes that these individuals have no compunction with hurting or killing others then one realizes that rational and logical thinking is off the table. These are not rational people, they're emotional people with incredibly poor impulse control, and minimal sense of empathy. Many of these people are actually broken beyond repair, which is why we have so many repeat offenders in our country.

Remember the words of wisdom from the late Dr. William Aprill: THEY ARE NOT YOU.

User Tag List