Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One person's gun control plan

There's a direct correlation between guns and cars. You have many criminals using guns without any thought towards permits, licensing and legal use. You also have many people operating cars without any thought towards permits, licensing and legal use.

Sounds great.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I have heard that federal prosecutors drop firearm charges because of mandatory sentencing rules. There is a desire to reduce prison populations--especially the number of incarcerated minority persons. Hence I doubt if we will see gun crimes adding to prison populations.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I have heard that federal prosecutors drop firearm charges because of mandatory sentencing rules. There is a desire to reduce prison populations--especially the number of incarcerated minority persons. Hence I doubt if we will see gun crimes adding to prison populations.
    Sometimes. I’ve seen 18 USC 924c (use/carrying of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking or violent offense) held over people’s heads to get them to plea to the associated drug trafficking offense. 924c carries a mandatory minimum of 5 years incarceration with greater sentences for certain aggravating circumstances.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Federal prosections do happen, even if many referred cases are not prosecuted: https://trac.syr.edu/tracreports/crim/560/

Someone still hasn't pointed out to me where it says in the Constitution that you have a right to own and operate a: Car, motorcycle, van, truck, train, airplane, ship, row boat, raft, jet ski, snow mobile, tractor, horse drawn carriage, chariot, horse, donkey, mule, camel, llama, alpaca, or even a dog sled.

When someone finds that amendment for me in the Bill of Rights then I'll consider the idea that we could regulate firearms like transportation to have some potential validity. Until then, The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is enshrined in the Constitution and the privilege of owning a form of transportation is and can be regulated by the state and Federal government as related to the roles of those modes of transportation for intra and interstate commerce.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I’ve worked a lot of federal drug cases. As @DanM mentioned, 924(c) carries a mandatory 5 years that runs consecutive to the sentence for any other charges. However, many gun charges do not carry minimum mandatory sentences (such as felon in possession).

There are some crimes locally that will only get prosecuted if a firearm is involved, such as marijuana cases under 2,000 pounds and Hobbs Act robberies (and we have a very aggressive USAO).

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I'm not sure why "shall not be infringed" is so hard to understand.
    The same difficulty apparently exists with understanding that "militia" is the people, the citizens, and not the formal military. That the Bill of Rights was expressly added to the Constitution to further describe to the people that these were individual rights.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    If we’re going to equate the ownership of cars and guns, then
    1. Using a vehicle in a crime will add 10 years to your sentence but will be the first charge thrown out in a plea bargain.
    2. No gas tank will hold over 10 gallons and the most common one won’t be reliable.
    3. Imports of cheap fuel from certain countries will be banned.
    4. Only the military and police will own vehicles with automatic transmissions or that seat more than four people.
    5. You won’t be able to operate a vehicle within 100 yards of a school.
    6. The most interesting models won’t be available in California or Massachusetts.
    7. A muffler will cost $1,500 and require a $200 tax stamp plus a one-year wait for paperwork.
    8. California vehicle owners will need three people to unscrew a gas cap.
    9. Fuel will be impossible to find in the run up to a presidential election.
    10. The DMV will be staffed by neckbeards.

Welcome to our world, motherfuckers.

Okie John
    After chewing on this a bit further, I humbly offer

11. If you are an important politician, like Congressman, Senator, or in the state legislature, or a famous celebrity; then you can own as many cars as you like, and there is no size limit on them. Because we are concerned with, you know, your safety.

Well first of all I don't agree with all those laws for my car either.

There are lots of nice countries that have gun control. A person that wants to live in a country with strict gun laws has options, they can move. The United States has the loosest gun laws of any developed country so a person that wants loose gun laws doesn't really have options.

That's beside the fact that rather than raising themselves up to meet a challenge they would rather drag everyone else down to their level and make people accommodate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List