Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One person's gun control plan

If we’re going to equate the ownership of cars and guns, then
    1. Using a vehicle in a crime will add 10 years to your sentence but will be the first charge thrown out in a plea bargain.
    2. No gas tank will hold over 10 gallons and the most common one won’t be reliable.
    3. Imports of cheap fuel from certain countries will be banned.
    4. Only the military and police will own vehicles with automatic transmissions or that seat more than four people.
    5. You won’t be able to operate a vehicle within 100 yards of a school.
    6. The most interesting models won’t be available in California or Massachusetts.
    7. A muffler will cost $1,500 and require a $200 tax stamp plus a one-year wait for paperwork.
    8. California vehicle owners will need three people to unscrew a gas cap.
    9. Fuel will be impossible to find in the run up to a presidential election.
    10. The DMV will be staffed by neckbeards.

Welcome to our world, motherfuckers.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

The DMV will be staffed by neckbeards.

Okie John
    Thought that was already the case.

Someone should take that list and write a letter to the paper with that report to the original post.

Site Supporter
    These comparisons come out pretty frequently, they aren't all that well thought out from the gun control perspective.

You don't need a license to buy a car or to use it on private land.
    Interstate private transactions in cars have essentially no government involvement.
    A shall-issue license to use a car on public roads is available to nearly anyone of age, and is generally valid in every state.
    Registration is also only for cars that are going to be used on public roads.
    There are essentially zero restrictions for the type of vehicles you can own to use off of public roads.

I don't think those in favor of gun control really want that system for guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    And if you renew in person next time, is it still 5 years or 8 and you have to renew the time after in person or online?

Hate to admit I'm not super up-to-date on my own State's laws, but they have changed so many times since I was 16.

And here I go participating in thread drift yet again.
    I take a CHL/LTC class every September after the Texas Legislature meets. The laws they pass almost always go into effect on September 1 of the calendar year in which they are signed by the Governor into law.

I pick a different instructor every year. This accomplished three things:

1 - I get to audit that instructor's teaching, and hopefully pick up new techniques or ideas. I also know who to recommend to new shooters, or avoid.

2 - I have a written record on file with the state, passing the latest written test with the latest laws, showing legal awareness.

3 - I take the shooting test one-handed with a J-frame, weak-hand only. That's the most difficult pistol to shoot that I carry for self-defense. I'm running it under sub-optimal conditions. I pass the shooting test, and that's on file. Texas only records a pass/fail, but if I shoot less than 100 perfect, I am disappoint.

So if I have to use my LTT Beretta 92X with both hands, competency has been legally demonstrated under more difficult circumstance.

The class is usually under $75, and therefore very cheap insurance.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    This was from my local paper. I deleted the person's name. By their sarcasm and incorrect terminology, they're obviously not a gun person.

Five ways owning a gun should be similar to owning a car

I have accepted the fact that the 2nd Amendment is never going to go away, and I may as well try talking to a wall (a blank wall with bullet holes in it) convincing our Legislators to ban assault weapons of any kind. So let’s play the hand we are dealt. If we are going to have weapons, let’s treat them like the vehicles we drive.

You have to pass a test to drive a car. That license is good for all states. The same rule should be applied to owning a weapon.
    A car registration is usually updated every year and so should a weapon.
    A car must be insured and so should a weapon.
    A driver’s license must be renewed every year or every couple of years, and so should a weapon.
    You have to have a license marked if you are driving a commercial vehicle or a motorcycle. The type of weapon you own should be noted on your license.
    Paying for license, registration and insurance of a weapon on a regular basis would increase revenue and make me and others feel a little safer.

Now, a lot of people may think that these new rules are just trying to keep them from owning a gun, or to put it bluntly, weapon suppression.

Perhaps they can understand what it is like for a lot of voters.
    Ask them to please show us in the Constitution where it says that they have the right to drive or to own a car.

They can't. Courts have been pretty clear about this-- driving is a privilege, not a right.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    This isn't a plan, this is someone stupid copy-pasting a dated "snarky funny" into a letter to the editor. I'm pretty sure I saw that as a forwarded chain email in '98.
    In today's Twitter/Facebook emotion-filled style of communication, those dumb forwarded chain e-mails from the late 90's now sound like rational, well-thought out treatises.

I was thinking that today while I was -- oh --- ....

Yeah!!!

"Ow my Balls!" is on! Sweet!!
    Last edited by idahojess; 04-17-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    This topic seems appropriate for the politics sub-forum...

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    This was from my local paper. I deleted the person's name. By their sarcasm and incorrect terminology, they're obviously not a gun person.

Five ways owning a gun should be similar to owning a car

I have accepted the fact that the 2nd Amendment is never going to go away, and I may as well try talking to a wall (a blank wall with bullet holes in it) convincing our Legislators to ban assault weapons of any kind. So let’s play the hand we are dealt. If we are going to have weapons, let’s treat them like the vehicles we drive.

You have to pass a test to drive a car. That license is good for all states. The same rule should be applied to owning a weapon.
    A car registration is usually updated every year and so should a weapon.
    A car must be insured and so should a weapon.
    A driver’s license must be renewed every year or every couple of years, and so should a weapon.
    You have to have a license marked if you are driving a commercial vehicle or a motorcycle. The type of weapon you own should be noted on your license.
    Paying for license, registration and insurance of a weapon on a regular basis would increase revenue and make me and others feel a little safer.

Now, a lot of people may think that these new rules are just trying to keep them from owning a gun, or to put it bluntly, weapon suppression.

Perhaps they can understand what it is like for a lot of voters.
    I have a better suggestion. Firearms laws should mimic voting laws. Firearms and voting are equal among rights.

The author of that “article” and his feeewings can eat a giant bowl of dicks.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Years ago, Al Gore proposed the car analogy and it was discussed in the NY Times. So I wrote a letter to the editor that said in NY state and city it was very difficult to get a handgun (depends on county but still a major hassle in most of the state at the time). I said that any law abiding citizen can buy a car very quickly with no statement of purpose, references, etc. Thus, would the NYS laws change such that a law abiding citizen in NYS can go to a dealer and buy a handgun with the same lesser degree of hassle?

That would be a major freeing up of the state. Well, I got an email saying they would publish the letter from a lesser editor. However, they never did. I assume a higher up pal of Al decided not to.

In very restrictive areas then, the car analogy would have been an improvement - haha.

User Tag List