Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 43 w/ RMRcc

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Got to the range today, got the sight zeroed, and put 50 rounds through it.

The smaller window is noticeable. I didn't find it to be terribly detrimental, but could obviously tell the difference from my RMR'd G45.

My biggest takeaway today was the confirmation of my continued distrust for extended G43 magazines. The only reason I was using the Vickers extensions was because I got the gun from a buddy and he had them on there. Had a failure to feed on the very first round. From there on out, I didn't load the magazines to capacity which took care of the issues. I would NEVER carry a G43 with magazine extensions.

I need more time with the RMRcc, but I'm liking it so far.

Never say never. I've had nothing but good luck with both the Vickers and Taran Tactical, including the Taran 3-round extension. Check your springs -- it's been a while since I changed out (several years) -- but some extensions come with extra strength springs. I can't remember which came with which, but I have a ziplock bag of standard springs from when I made the change out.

Wolff and others make suitable offerings:
    https://www.glockstore.com/Extended-...Spring-For-G43

I do have a couple of non-extended mags for when I wear something skimpy. But all of my others have at least two round extensions, my daily carry spare mag is almost always a 3-rounder.

Just food for thought.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    Never say never. I've had nothing but good luck with both the Vickers and Taran Tactical, including the Taran 3-round extension. Check your springs -- it's been a while since I changed out (several years) -- but some extensions come with extra strength springs. I can't remember which came with which, but I have a ziplock bag of standard springs from when I made the change out.

I do have a couple of non-extended mags for when I wear something skimpy. But all of my others have at least two round extensions, my daily carry spare mag is almost always a 3-rounder.

Just food for thought.
    I agree with TC215 and I believe we are both speaking based on agency testing and samples sized based on others at our agencies.

The issue is the G43, and other guns using the G43 RSA operate on a narrower Timing window than full size Glocks. IME the G43, even in stock form did not play well with our duty ammo (which runs fine in service sized Glocks) and mag extensions aggravated the issue. Mag extensions and spring swapping adds another variable or variables to a system which is already intolerant of variables.

I have large hands and like the TTI extensions from a shooting ergos POV. The TTI's also are the most resistant to the durability / disassembly issues common to mag extensions. However, there is no reason to run the G43 with extensions all the time now that the G43X exists.

Just food for thought.
    I can pretty safely say "never."

In addition to what @HCM said, the tapered case of the 9mm round just doesn't play well with true single-stack magazines (i.e. 9mm 1911's). My agency bought every type of G43 mag extension available to test, and had issues with all of them. FBI prohibits the use of extensions on their G43's.

I personally talked to Glock about it, and was told that if Glock could figure out a way to make extended G43 magazines reliable, they'd be selling them themselves.

Post deleted.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 04-21-2021 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Nuthin' worth sayin'

Site Supporter
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the theory that the 9mm sucks because of the tapered case. I've read about it -- just did a refresh 'cuz of this discussion, in fact. I'm not convinced that it's anything more than an academic problem, but that's on me. Since the 1970s I've owned plenty of single stack magazine 9mm pistols and shot a lot more -- including Stars, Berettas, Colt and other 1911s, a couple of HK P7s (which I regret letting go) and a couple of S&W 39 series. Never did the tapered case/single stack mag problem arise.

My son -- bless his heart -- has an affinity for Kel-Tec designs. His PF9 -- a single stack -- has been utterly reliable, which vexes me. I despise that gun, but it works.

But I digress.

Sorry about your luck with your agency.

I've two 43s and a 43X and a 48-ish (48 frame wif a Brownells 48 slide and a HS 407K). I like'em all. The 43s I got back when they first came out, loved it, had to have a second (which is my nature). Then came the 43x and the Shield Arms mags. Got one and a stack of mags, had to have a second -- and more mags. (So much for Glock not pursuing a better magazine, huh? lol) So far I've had no problems with any of those guns. For the record I practice/train with whatever FMJ 115 grain I can get and carry 115 grain Gold Dot or 115 grain Black Hills.

In fact, of all the Glocks ... no, make that all the pistols I've currently got, the only one that's given me fits is an early Gen 4 Glock 19. Replaced a mim firing pin (that broke) and the recalled recoil spring assembly, and it runs like a top.

Anywho, I agree that the 43x/48 is da bomb, but there's no need to abandon the 43.

You mention variables. I get that, especially with an agency. We had guys switch out parts on issued sidearms in the Army. Not a good idea. Ironically, back when I was an MP the armorer would have us all dump our parts in a bucket of cleaning solution, then fish'em out and reassemble our guns. Luckily they were so old they had enough play that they usually worked. Again, I digress.

But nowadays it's common place for shooters -- many of which are on this forum, no doubt -- switch out parts more often than they change underwear. Me, I try to standardize on my kit, most all of my Glocks have the same or similar trigger and sights/optics.

Ironically, when RDS were first being considered for social purposes rather than just games, there were all sorts of doubters and nay sayers. Everything from the weight of the optic on the slide will cause malfunctions to whattaya do when the battery dies, boy? And here we are.

I'm not trying to change your minds -- I'm just sharing my experience so that others who bother to read this (the fools!) understand that there are options. I frankly don't care what kind of gun you have, a primo Glock, a cheapass PF9 or an old Smith and Wesson. They can be made to work.

To each their own.
    Just so you know where I’m coming from, like most large agencies (15k sworn) mine doesn’t allow swapping of any parts except sights or aftermarket anything. And with good reason.

I’m a bit suspicious about how/why we approved G43’s in the first place but from the first one I saw put into service most have not been able to complete a 50 round qualification course without a malfunction. In fairness some of that is a function of our duty ammo (124 grain +P Gold Dot).

Suffice to say we recently tested the G43X and G48. Neither passed and G43s were de-authorized. Again some of that was due to us not wanting to change ammo or add another duty round.

I personally saw enough G43 issues at work that despite buying a G43 which has run fairly well, I chose not to put it on the books at work.

The FBI did recently authorize the G43/43X but it took a half dozen attempts over several years with Glock tweaking the guns to get them to pass testing. As TC215 noted they don’t allow mag extensions, lights, lasers or aftermarket anything on those guns, with good reason.

G43X with black slides and G43s produced after the introduction of the black slide 43Xs should include the tweaks made to the FBI guns.

I think with factory mags and ammo that matches the gun’s timing window the G43/43X/48 can be a good BUG/CCW gun. Assuming you don’t try to hang anything off them like lights or lasers.

I’m not a Glock hater, I ran a personal G26 and G17 on duty (by preference) for nearly a decade as soon as it was an option.

However, like anything else Glocks have a “sweet spot.” The further you deviate from the original, in this case service sized 9mm Glocks (G17/19/26/34), the more likely you are to have issues.

The same is true of 1911s. The further you stray from 5” steel frame .45 with 7 round magazines the more variables and potential issues. While a 1911ish pocket gun like a Colt Mustang or a SIG 938 may be reliable enough for its intended purpose but that doesn’t mean it’s equivalent to the 5” original format in tolerating variables.

Your red dot analogy is invalid. The G43 RSA guns are not new technology, nor are my concerns about them based on speculation.

Everyone has their own ideas about what is “reliable” however few actually run guns hard enough to find latent issues. Outside of high volume agency testing and use, training classes and USPSA are good for that but you don’t see many people using slim line /BUG guns in those environments. I’ve definitely found issues in both classes and USPSA that never manifested in casual range use.

Sample size, both in terms of the number of guns and the amount of ammo down range also has a real effect on the validity of data.

Going back to frame of reference, To each their own works for a private person, but if one of my Partners said that it would be an issue because we are responsible for more than just ourselves. If my partners gun doesn’t work because his Hello Kitty back plate fails he is putting me and the public at risk, not just himself. I say “he” because it’s always they guys who do that stuff. Always.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    My experience with 2x copies ea. of the 43 and 48 more or less mirrors HCM's. Aftermarket mag extensions didn't do great in the 43, and out of the box, one of my G48s couldn't make it through a single magazine without malfunction. Initially had failures to return to battery that occurred regardless of the ammunition used (147gr HSTs, 9mm NATO by MEN, 124 +P Fiocchi, etc).

Sent it back to Glock multiple times, who could not reproduce the malfunctions (maybe related to my SCD?), but the gun does seem to have 'broken in' a bit a much as I am loathe to use the turn of phrase. Still haven't wrung it out but not in a rush to be frank.

Also have a problem child G43 that seemed to play less nicely than its duplicate, but not as extreme as the 48 detailed above. Of the 4 guns, only 1 example of each made it through 1k rounds with 1 malfunction or less. I trust those two, but their 'evil twins' are relegated to training only until they prove themselves more capable.

I have Glock 43 and five magazines. All five mags have TT +1 base plates install.

I fired over 1100 rounds through gun using those mags with the stock mag springs. Zero issues.

I have always run extra power mag springs in mags so I picked up some extra power springs from Glockworks. I have over 800 rounds through the mags with those springs. Zero issues.

@TC215 - how is the 43/RMRcc working out for you?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    @TC215 - how is the 43/RMRcc working out for you?
    I like it, though I've not been able to shoot it as much as I'd like (my agency ordered ammo in January, and they're saying it might take another 6 months to a year to be delivered, so all my "free ammo" is being held in reserve at the moment). I do like carrying it, though.

I have another RMRcc boxed up with a G48 slide that I'll be sending off to get milled tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I like it, though I've not been able to shoot it as much as I'd like (my agency ordered ammo in January, and they're saying it might take another 6 months to a year to be delivered, so all my "free ammo" is being held in reserve at the moment). I do like carrying it, though.

I have another RMRcc boxed up with a G48 slide that I'll be sending off to get milled tomorrow.
    I’ve been considering a second 43 for CC since I have a BL coupon set to expire, and this is a very tempting use. I have the 43x with Swampfox Sentinel, but to be honest I’d feel better with a RMRcc. The big question for me is irons, no irons or front sight only.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List