Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grip Texture and Design

The HK USPs full size, USP45s in particular, work much better for me than "ergonomic P30s and HK45s.
    The more rectangular grip with courser texture resists twisting forces better than the ergo grips with finer texture.
    I have fairly hard bony XL hands without a lot of padding so I may be the 1/10th of the population the USP45 was designed for.

Of course when I was at Rogers I had skateboard tape on my Gl17.

The ergo guns feel more comfortable in the showroom but give me less control.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I have fairly hard bony XL hands without a lot of padding so I may be the 1/10th of the population the USP45 was designed for.
    I also resemble that remark.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Oddly, the tiny and now defunct company 'Honor Defense' came pretty close to perfection when it came to grip texture.

This was tiny, poorly funded company too. All the more striking that they did such a better job then most of the majors.

Texture was grippy but not sharp, and extended quite high. They missed out on optimal thumb placement for the texture, but given the small size of the pistol they likely couldn't due to the need for space for the manufacturers info.

I'm (apparently) strange, in I hate heavy texturing on a grip. The one I most disliked recently was the (IMHO) over the top grip on my soon sold off FN FNS40:
    Name:  kpc_5858.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  38.9 KB
    I really hated it, as much as I hated the old S&W "Cheese Grater" revolver grips. About the most aggressively texured grip I don't mind is on the Taurus PT111 G2. I do not understand the appeal of a grip that feels like 40 grit sandpaper. I have never had a problem holding a gun securely. IMHO, this grip is pretty much perfection:
    Name:  6071551ccb65ca07a1d50117c6ad5b45.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  26.5 KB
    I know a lot of people who have reviewed the SAR CM9 G2 don't like the "fingerprint" texture, but I sure do. This gun is a winner in every way, it's cheap, reliable, and it's comfortable to shoot. It's everything the FNS 40, even though I bought it on sale, wasn't.

Didn’t some Utah feller named John Moses Browning understand this texturing, high on the grips, well over 100 years ago? (Yes, I know, texturing the front straps and MSHs, and such things as high-cut front straps, were later developments.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I totally agree, same with the p30. The area you would want the most texturing was the area that was the smoothest.

That’s one area I like with metal guns and the grip panels. You can customize what level of texture you want on pretty much the whole side of the gun.

Here is my custom Lok “full height, full texture” left grip panel on a Shadow2. I run the standard pattern and height on the right side, and sand down some of the texture parallel with the trigger finger (2nd pic below)

Name:  IMG_4957 (1).jpeg
Views: 245
Size:  84.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-17-2021 at 09:58 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    In my ideal world, guns would be fabricated “just-in-time”, and we would select the features we want. Grip texture and pattern is easy to apply JIT.
    Please don't tell the U.N.

(The ATT is restrictive enough as it is.)

I've ranted about this for years. The only explanation has to be that gun designers simply don't shoot enough, or at a high enough level, to understand how important grip texture is.

It's not that important if you are running 4 second Bill Drills.

Sub 2 second Bill Drills? Yeah, you find out right quick how important texture is.

Same with using grip enhancing gels or creams. You don't know how important it is until you get there. I can only surmise that most are just not there.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I like the M&P 2.0 grip texture for secure grip but it is aggressive on hands and clothes at times and can catch on some materials. The Honor Guard Honor Defense has a nice grip texture and grip shape. Sad to hear they are defunct. They didn't have the best controls or trigger but did have some innovations for the time.

For personal option of grip texture type and where it is applied Americor seems to offer a check the box on purchase type set up. If a manufacturer wanted to have it as an option I could see it being a good choice. OEMs could make a smooth grip frame and then apply the grip texture and area to be covered as the purchaser wants.

https://www.americormfg.com/

User Tag List