Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grip Texture and Design

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    In my ideal world, guns would be fabricated “just-in-time”, and we would select the features we want. Grip texture and pattern is easy to apply JIT.
    Without getting into a dissertation based on my experience with manufacturing sending products both to assembly lines and to semi-custom consumer markets, I view "JIT" and "semi-custom" as being almost opposite kinds of things.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I'll take it one step further. Why can't most of them apply a proper amount of texture?
    In addition to most designers and marketers not being experienced users, most buyers aren’t, either.

As an example, I fixed my sister up with a 19.4- she handled my stippled guns and was put off, but liked the texture of the stock frame. She shoots, but not as any kind of regular competitor or defensive practitioner. I had an ex who was the one at the door when a custom 1911 arrived. “This gun is heavy, and it hurts to hold.”

I can see a proper texture bring a turn-off to enough people that no matter how much the experienced want it, is still rare.

And as long as we are identifying guns that get it right, I’ll include the USP in that rank.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Yeah, marketing is probably a big part of it. Like why OEM iPhones are slippery as fuck and need a case?
    There is some old adage about a twenty pound bicycle needs a twenty pound lock and a forty pound bicycle does not need a lock.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    M&P 2.0's have great texture but i would prefer it went up to the slide stop.
    IMO mine were so aggressive that I was having trouble IWB quickly getting my thumb down between the grip and my gut to get a good grip. This could be a problem with my gut, but I hit the grips with Scotch-Brite instead

M&P 1.0 vs 2.0 and Glock gen 3 vs gen 4

I have a S&W M&P 45 full-size, 1.0 and 2.0. I much prefer the improvements in the 2.0. The roughness of the grip is more secure in my hand. I have always thought the 1.0 needed a more course grip surface. Pretty much the same for the Glock 21 gen 3. I felt like it needed to have a more aggressive texture. When I bought my Glock 20 gen 4, I'm like, "that's what I'm talking about." For me, the gen 4 grip has the right amount of texture, exactly what I was looking for.

It's anybody's guess why the factory grip surface is designed as it is. As mentioned here, tape and aftermarket mods to the grip area are options. I suspect dedicated shooters are more in-tune to the nuisances of the pistol as opposed to casual shooters.

I can say that if I ever purchase another 1911, it will have checkering on the front strap. Even with VZ Alien grips on my SA Loaded 1911, which are aggressive in texture, I still would like that front strap checkering.

Site Supporter
    M&P 2.0's seem pretty good right out of the box,
    I've got VZ Double Diamond's on 1911's that
    work pretty well and tracking info say's my
    BS Solutions Razorback is due today.
    Some texture's a good thing !

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    It is an odd phenomenon from a design perspective.

If you've designed the gun in a way that shapes to attempt to be ergonomic (and some designers obviously spent much less time there than others), the implication is that you care about the user-tool interface.

If you're designing a shoe, you have a runner make strides, measure force impacts and pad or shape certain areas to accommodate that. You have them make snap turns and analyze areas that need stability supports and more grip or less. You modify that into another iteration, re-measure and re-gather feedback.

The firearms industry is, in general, not that innovative in short-medium term time horizons. But they don't have to be. Ten different "Glock killers" and decades later, Glock is still outselling everything, with relatively minor iterative improvements. I suspect in the 2070s there will still be someone complaining about Glock knuckle.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    If you're designing a shoe, you have a runner make strides, measure force impacts and pad or shape certain areas to accommodate that. You have them make snap turns and analyze areas that need stability supports and more grip or less. You modify that into another iteration, re-measure and re-gather feedback.
    I have some inside knowledge about this, and at least one major athletic shoe designer does not actually do this, despite having a world class testing facility. Marketing and design still wag the dog.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    In my ideal world, guns would be fabricated “just-in-time”, and we would select the features we want. Grip texture and pattern is easy to apply JIT.
    I’m imagining a website where you purchase a gun and before it’s shipped to your ffl it gets put into a cnc laser cutter for the grip texture you chose using either their pre-designed textures or maybe even a custom texture/design you can make yourself using a template on the website.

This could be as simple as a third party re-seller, rather than something offered by the manufacturer.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I have some inside knowledge about this, and at least one major athletic shoe designer does not actually do this, despite having a world class testing facility. Marketing and design still wag the dog.
    Pho shizzle. The Death of Quality has destroyed the shoe market.

Not only that, it's stopped me from running because I can't find a shoe that works for me anymore. After a decade or so of just buying another pair of Brooks Beasts when I wore out the old one, they went and jacked up the formula so it no longer worked somewhere between eight and ten years ago. Those old Brooks Beasts were The Shoe that worked for a guy who's 6'4," 220-240 lb, and runs the way I run. Haven't found anything else that does the job. Have tried and found a bunch that make things hurt that never hurt with the right shoes.

Also, the shoe companies apparently think we have all mutated into large elves, with toes that curl up ridiculously. It's like a little bit of bend upward at the toe was good, so they just add a little more with every new shoe they design, no matter how much there already is and without ever considering whether that might be enough. Meanwhile, my feet are the same feet I've always had that evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to walk on more or less flat ground. It's become damned difficult for me to find any shoes that are even basically functional.

It's not the only area of consumer goods where what you could easily buy 15-20 years ago was objectively, functionally better and of higher quality than anything that can be found available for purchase today. Which is why my avatar is what it is.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Incredible. An even dumber approach than just not doing any of this stuff, is having all the infrastructure and just not using it.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

User Tag List