Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grip Texture and Design

Grip Texture and Design

Why do nearly all gun designs still lack texture high on the sides of the grip, where it is most needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    ...As with nearly all guns, the stock P-07 lacks grip high on the sides, where a modern thumbs-forward grip applies pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore504 View Post
    Yeah I agree, not sure why companies do not take the texture all the way up on handguns.
    Name:  10-0210862.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  5668-DEFAULT-l.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  7.6 KB
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Not so familiar with the CZ, but the Glock might need the "thumb rests" for GCA-68 import points, maybe to avoid the adjustable sights?

Good question.

Gun designers don't shoot very well, or very often?

There may also be a "marketing" aspect where as the gun-industry equivalent of focus groups come together and tell the companies, hey, this gun over here with GRIP ZONES!! looks great, but this one with actual effective texturing in areas that matter dynamically, doesn't look "as cool"? I don't know if this happens, for real; I have no idea really how choices get made in gun grips.

Maybe the most plausible reason is that the gun industry, like most gun owners, don't actually use their products in time-focused objective evaluations like e.g. competition shooting where it matters.

Great thread; I've always wondered why a lot of handguns (I've owned 14 trying to figure out which carry gun to keep) suck out loud for grip. Looking forward to the responses from the experienced folks here.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I'll take it one step further. Why can't most of them apply a proper amount of texture? Apparently the gun companies have realized that their customers have soft, girlish hands or something? I want texture thats gonna bite (M&P 2.0) but not shred (aggressive grip tape) my hands over a training session.

Yeah, marketing is probably a big part of it. Like why OEM iPhones are slippery as fuck and need a case?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yeah, marketing is probably a big part of it. Like why OEM iPhones are slippery as fuck and need a case?
    Ya know... people buy things specifically because they have good aftermarket/accessory support.
    Does that mean companies sell products that are just slightly deficient on purpose to create a need for support and therefore make their product seem desirable?

Talk about the proverbial self-licking ice cream cone...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Even more mystifying, why does a company like Hogue do it right on some models, but not most?

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/beret...ered-g10-black

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/brown...cus-black-gray
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

In my ideal world, guns would be fabricated “just-in-time”, and we would select the features we want. Grip texture and pattern is easy to apply JIT.

While still not there, some companies are working that way.

The pdp from walther looks to have good coverage though i haven't handled one to see how i like the texture itself.

The 509 from fn was satisfactory to me, though my preference would be uniform pattern as opposed to the mix and match they chose.

M&p 2.0's have great texture but i would prefer it went up to the slide stop.

If glock did a gen5 with rtf2 texture I'd buy one.

We may be working toward better texture slowly but surely or it could just be a few outcasts. Luckily I'm not opposed to burning my plastic with an iron or using grip tape of some sort.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Site Supporter
    This is a huge pet peeve of mine and something I love about the factory 92X grips.

User Tag List