Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Grip Texture and Design

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Let's not forget the flat slab sides, while we're at it. Love hate relationship with my Glocks and PX4 regarding this, too.

Human hands are just not shaped that way.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Let's not forget the flat slab sides, while we're at it. Love hate relationship with my Glocks and PX4 regarding this, too.

I love slab-sided Glocky grips because there is one, unambiguous way to grip them. I can tell instantly if my grip is even a tiny bit off.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I love slab-sided Glocky grips because there is one, unambiguous way to grip them. I can tell instantly if my grip is even a tiny bit off.
    This. I hated Glocks for years. I still hate Glocks. It's like shooting things with a badly designed TV remote.

It's the difference between a really good axe or framing hammer handle and a 5 lb sledge. The axe handle feels much more natural and better in your hand, but you really need to hold a pistol like a 5 lb sledge.

That feel is likely why the grip texture is where it is. How many times have you heard the advice 'Go try a few and see what feels best in your hand?' given to a new shooter. How are they supposed to know what it's supposed to feel like?

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    How many times have you heard the advice 'Go try a few and see what feels best in your hand?' given to a new shooter. How are they supposed to know what it's supposed to feel like?
    Great post. And this is a pet peeve of mine.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I've ranted about this for years. The only explanation has to be that gun designers simply don't shoot enough, or at a high enough level, to understand how important grip texture is.

It's not that important if you are running 4 second Bill Drills.

Sub 2 second Bill Drills? Yeah, you find out right quick how important texture is.

Same with using grip enhancing gels or creams. You don't know how important it is until you get there. I can only surmise that most are just not there.
    Watch the video for his explanation of what grips he shoots with and why. And he uses chalk (I assume to slippery them up) on rubber grips when he shoots them in videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post

Human hands are all kinds of different shapes and sizes. Personally, I greatly prefer the slab sidedness of Hogue G10 grips on a classic Sig compared to the long oval cross section of factory poly grips. And I really like the USP. Don't do so well with P30 or 1911.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Why do nearly all gun designs still lack texture high on the sides of the grip, where it is most needed?
    Why? Well, they'd have to find a Tribologist that also knows how to shoot...and where would they find that?

Like Glock, maybe it was the point. Easy to apply skateboard tape for those that know, and nice and comfortable for every else.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    How many times have you heard the advice 'Go try a few and see what feels best in your hand?' given to a new shooter. How are they supposed to know what it's supposed to feel like?
    Great post. And this is a pet peeve of mine.
    Two examples:
    One friend, who is a very experienced rifle hunter/shooter, told me he wanted his wife to find something that "feels really good in her hand" and I told him that if he had a rifle with a shitty trigger and a fuzzy scope the stock fit wouldn't matter.
    Another friend, who is a total newbie, bought a Ruger American instead of the M&P (after shooting my M&P 1.0) because his wife and daughters didn't like the aggressive texture. Not like he ended up with a Hi-Point, but without asking they didn't didn't consider ten seconds with Scotch-Brite.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’m imagining a website where you purchase a gun and before it’s shipped to your ffl it gets put into a cnc laser cutter for the grip texture you chose using either their pre-designed textures or maybe even a custom texture/design you can make yourself using a template on the website.

This could be as simple as a third party re-seller, rather than something offered by the manufacturer.
    There is one HUGE issue with this, IMHE.
    We had a local FFL that was known as the place for laser engraving, but they never had any samples. I only ever handled one of their done guns, and to me it felt like I had a knife blade, in my hand. I know that could possibly be sanded or scotch brited, but would rather have seen if there was some other pattern or texture.
    I bought a used PX4 either off of this site or the Beretta forum (believe here), that had a stipple job, that is almost perfect. The only thing off, is it goes all the way around, and the backstrap size is no longer changeable.
    Langdon offers a tiny bit more detail then Boresight solutions, but no images (one image only, no caption of texture) and neither have plastic samples one could buy with the texturing, which I asked about some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I've ranted about this for years. The only explanation has to be that gun designers simply don't shoot enough, or at a high enough level, to understand how important grip texture is.

It's not that important if you are running 4 second Bill Drills.

Sub 2 second Bill Drills? Yeah, you find out right quick how important texture is.

Same with using grip enhancing gels or creams. You don't know how important it is until you get there. I can only surmise that most are just not there.

I agree with the point you are making but I don’t think that is the case.

Most of the big manufactures have a factory sponsored shooting team or at least sponsored shooters. I would imagine there is a sharing of information on what improvements could be made to make the guns “shoot” better. The question is why does this information not trickle down. I think it is a multi faceted problem. But to be honest the percentage of population that would want increase grip texture is small compared to the the amount of people that would complain about it being too abrasive.

Jus got back from the range, I went back to my Glock 17 for this session, and was trying to get clean accelerator drills in under 6 seconds. I wasn’t able to get there, time was no problem, but I couldn’t get all A’s. I was really focusing on my grip, it’s essential for this drill, especially at 15 and 25 yards.

This is where I have to put skate tape on my gun:
    Name:  DC21B45E-4B4C-43D4-9949-ECCCFBE98D0C.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  100.3 KB

This is what it did to my hand after only 300 rounds. So clearly, this is a space that should be textured. It proves my point! Why gun manufacturers choose not to texture in that area is a mystery to me.
    Name:  F029EBDF-C6F5-45E5-874A-7E3096357BC0.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  15.6 KB
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

User Tag List