Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One minute you're loading up the brownies, the wife, and the pet.......

Site Supporter
    if that was a bob cat, it'd be bigger and that guy would have a confetti of flesh on his front lawn.

Site Supporter

Rabid bobcat most likely

According to this article, he did shoot it and it was probably a rabid bobcat:

Video of Man Throwing Bobcat After Attack Viewed Over 5 Million Times

They said that he did in fact shoot the bobcat, which turned out to have rabies, and that he and his wife have since had their rabies shots.

Although unconfirmed, the video has been linked by social media users to an incident in Pender County, North Carolina. On Monday, the Pender County Sheriff's Office said: "There has been a positive case of rabies discovered in your neighborhood.

"On April 9, 2021, a bobcat was killed in the area around Creekside Subdivision in Burgaw. It was submitted for testing at the NC State Laboratory and our department has been notified this bobcat was positive for rabies."
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 04-16-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    Rabies is one of the things, like burning to death, that scares the shit out of me. It’s a virus that causes its host to become aggressive and attack other vital hosts in order to spread. Just think that a little over 100 years ago both people bitten would have likely died once the virus reache their brains in a month or so, just like almost every other person who was bitten by a rabid animal before the early 1900’s and an effective rabies vaccine.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    if that was a bob cat, it'd be bigger and that guy would have a confetti of flesh on his front lawn.
    Yeah, it would have looked similar to this...

Name:  Fargo chipper.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  61.3 KB
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

In the video the lady is carrying some type of pet carrier when el gatto makes initial contact. I wonder if it was actually after whatever was in the carrier.

Edited to add,
    After watching the 10th time without tears in my eyes the cat makes a bee line for lady and pet carrier after being “Yeet’d across the yard”. It was definitely after a pound of flesh from them for some reason.
    Last edited by Rick R; 04-16-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMWINCLE View Post
    According to this article, he did shoot it and it was probably a rabid bobcat:

Video of Man Throwing Bobcat After Attack Viewed Over 5 Million Times
    That was the last tray of brownies old Bob Cat ever tried to steal.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Rabies is one of the things, like burning to death, that scares the shit out of me. It’s a virus that causes its host to become aggressive and attack other vital hosts in order to spread. Just think that a little over 100 years ago both people bitten would have likely died once the virus reache their brains in a month or so, just like almost every other person who was bitten by a rabid animal before the early 1900’s and an effective rabies vaccine.
    I don't know if I ever told the whole story of me and rabies here but I used to be totally unconcerned about it, and now am essentially phobic about it and have lost the ability to be rational about rabies risk.

Short version is that I had an ongoing battle with medical staff here about the probability of my (then pregnant) wife and I having been exposed to rabies, was repeatedly told I was being ridiculous, then, after three months of fighting, was contacted by the BC CDC, who told me that they'd updated their policy (which was previously "nobody gets rabies, don't worry about it") and now Erin and I were in the highest risk category and needed post-exposure prophylaxis IMMEDIATELY.

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a nutjob so I'll just say it: I'm pretty sure the psychic energy I burned on that fight left me permanently damaged. I developed a phobia and lost my ability to be rational about rabies, completely. Maybe I'll calm down about it one day but I have to be super careful about the amount of rabies-related information I consume or I actually spook out a bit. I never used to be like that; two years ago a rabies discussion would be as emotionally loaded for me as a discussion about hardwood floors. But now it's like taking an acrophobe to the space needle; I'm white-knuckling the arms of my chair and clenching my jaw at max force with a fixed grin with monosyllabic answers to questions.

So anyway you're in poor company, I'm afraid.

I had a comment that was actually relevant to the video but I think it just makes me sound like a dick, so I'm stopping at rabophobia.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    I don't know if I ever told the whole story of me and rabies here but I used to be totally unconcerned about it, and now am essentially phobic about it and have lost the ability to be rational about rabies risk.

Short version is that I had an ongoing battle with medical staff here about the probability of my (then pregnant) wife and I having been exposed to rabies, was repeatedly told I was being ridiculous, then, after three months of fighting, was contacted by the BC CDC, who told me that they'd updated their policy (which was previously "nobody gets rabies, don't worry about it") and now Erin and I were in the highest risk category and needed post-exposure prophylaxis IMMEDIATELY.

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a nutjob so I'll just say it: I'm pretty sure the psychic energy I burned on that fight left me permanently damaged. I developed a phobia and lost my ability to be rational about rabies, completely. Maybe I'll calm down about it one day but I have to be super careful about the amount of rabies-related information I consume or I actually spook out a bit. I never used to be like that; two years ago a rabies discussion would be as emotionally loaded for me as a discussion about hardwood floors. But now it's like taking an acrophobe to the space needle; I'm white-knuckling the arms of my chair and clenching my jaw at max force with a fixed grin with monosyllabic answers to questions.

So anyway you're in poor company, I'm afraid.

I had a comment that was actually relevant to the video but I think it just makes me sound like a dick, so I'm stopping at rabophobia.
    That's what we call PTSD, brother.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    That's a very interesting point and I guess that's so- unfortunately not my first go-around with it but it used to be really under control, and now it's really not, although thankfully it's all landed entirely on the obsession with rabies, which doesn't come up in normal conversation very often.

But you know I hadn't thought of it in those terms, at all. Which is funny, because I could tell you the exact second it kicked off, and I was like "holy shit, I haven't had a full-on PTSD trigger in years but this is definitely a bad one, but...rabies?"

But it didn't occur to me at all that the rabies experience itself could generate its own round of PTSD - that's a very astute observation.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    That's a very interesting point and I guess that's so- unfortunately not my first go-around with it but it used to be really under control, and now it's really not, although thankfully it's all landed entirely on the obsession with rabies, which doesn't come up in normal conversation very often.

But you know I hadn't thought of it in those terms, at all. Which is funny, because I could tell you the exact second it kicked off, and I was like "holy shit, I haven't had a full-on PTSD trigger in years but this is definitely a bad one, but...rabies?"

But it didn't occur to me at all that the rabies experience itself could generate its own round of PTSD - that's a very astute observation.
    It totally makes sense, too. A fight for your life is a fight for your life, regardless of whether it's with a human, animal, or cyborg.

Add in the stress concerning not just your wife, but your unborn child, and that's absolutely enough to make someone suffer post traumatic stress. Between EMS and LE, the only time I saw first responders get PTS is from incidents involving kids. Old people who have heart attacks in the tub and you find them 3-4 days later partially turned into sludge, people halfway through a windshield doing the exorcist manuever rotated 180* at the hips bent over backwards of the roof, a dude who bounced off 3 snow plows in succession......nah, people are fine, we'd go get an italian hoagie for lunch afterwards. Anything involving death/near-death of kids? Almost assuredly a callout for CISD.

So, it totally makes sense to me. Fight for your life, followed by worrying about a continued risk to your beautiful wife and the pumpkin still baking in the oven; an intangible risk you can't even control.

P.S. I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night, so it might just be my anti-malarials talking (I'm surprised people don't take this shit recreationally).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List