Thread: byrna

byrna

Not sure where to post this, moderators feel free to move
    What are your thoughts on this pistol if one can call it that.
    https://byrna.com/
    Thanks and I am really asking for a friend.

Site Supporter
    Looks like a great way to get shot for pointing a weapon at someone

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Caveat emptor: I have absolutely no personal experience with less than lethal self defense tools. Literally zero. Would certainly defer to other members with more than 0 experience with same.

That said, in the context of personal protection for private citizens, my general understanding is that these devices are sub-optimal. My understanding is that less than lethal technology is generally designed to produce compliance rather than to immediately stop an imminent threat to life and limb; because private citizens are rarely (if ever) in a situation in which they have the need or legal authority to use pain to get compliance from others, this makes these devices generally less useful (vs, for example, LEOs).

Similarly, when an individual is faced with an aggressor(s) whose behavior poses the threat of imminent death or grievous bodily harm, less-than-lethal technology is woefully inadequate. In these situations, firearms are a far superior tool, as they will much more reliably put an immediate stop to the threat.

Furthermore, my intuition is that someone who owns a handgun and a can of OC spray will be much, MUCH more likely to practice with the former, and far less likely to practice with the latter. This is ultimately why I have never purchased a LTL weapon of any kind, as realistically I know that I will never develop the requisite proficiency to make them useful for me.

That is not to say that less than lethal devices like OC spray, etc, have no utility at all in the context of personal defense in a non-professional capacity, particularly if there are legal or other reasons that acquiring a firearm is not an option. They just seem to me to be by and large not that useful for my needs.

I'm also going to venture out on a limb and say that that if you were to make the reasoned decision to buy a LTL weapon, this pepper-ball pistol is not the best option available. I know some members here typically recommend or use OC spray for LTL personal protection, but I'll let them comment more as this is out of my wheelhouse.

Sounds like the inventor has been the recipient of a Tippman 98 in crowd control mode. Barring a reason to carry a real gun that could stop a determined attacker, pepper spray would likely be more reliable. It would be much easier to get a face shot with a hose of ammunition than 5 pepper balls.

I would have a lot more confidence in a good OC spray to deliver that agent in a defensive situation. And a fraction of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Sounds like the inventor has been the recipient of a Tippman 98 in crowd control mode. Barring a reason to carry a real gun that could stop a determined attacker, pepper spray would likely be more reliable. It would be much easier to get a face shot with a hose of ammunition than 5 pepper balls.
    Agreed. Hell, the last time I played paintball (MANY years ago), I typically sent at least 5 balls at anyone I was trying to hit just in the time the first ball spent in the air. There's a reason paintball guns feed from 50- or 100-round hoppers, not 5-round box mags.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    The best advice to your friend considering that thing would be to resist that urge. Choose a quality OC option and seek quality training in its use. Check out this link: https://agiletactical.com/
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    The byrna retails for $359. For that you could get 90 of these, which would probably be about as effective.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nerf-N-St...ctedSellerId=0

Ammo is cheaper, too.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I’ll just add that offering it in non-safety colors like the grey one pictured on the webpage is making a bad idea even worse. If I saw that guy with the grey one out in public, I’d absolutely peg him as being armed with a real firearm. And that’s me with better than the average public ability to play the “gun or not gun” game. So permit or no, I think you have to treat it like a gun as far as making absolutely sure it’s concealed.

And if I’m going to conceal a non lethal tool that big, I’d much rather have a really big can of pepper spray with some good reach.

User Tag List