Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Thread: 2012-13 PTC Test Guns - Springfield 9mm 1911

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    No real difference that I notice, but I haven't paid close attention even in the beginning. If the gun is accurate and reliable and safe, the "fit" isn't an issue. If it's not accurate or not reliable or not safe, the "fit" isn't an issue then, either.
    Ive wondered about this as well. It has to have changed, given for instance, you shot out 1/3 of the barrel. Assuming a bit of loosening of those interfaces, I think inferred by Mark's question, is what might have changed in required spring tension now vs what you found you needed at the beginning to run the gun?

We are diminished
    I'm not sure I understand. The gun came with a 12# spring that lacked enough closing force to function 100%. I swapped to a 14# variable and those problems went away for the most part. I continued to use that 14# variable (changed every 5k) until I started experimenting with the Wilson flat wire kit (and Glock flat wire springs).

The reason I asked the question was because it's rare for me to be able to ask a question of someone who has over 50k documented rounds through a single 1911, or any gun for that matter. The reason I ask is that guys like Yam will often say that a quality fit 1911 will maintain its tolerances much better then a poorly fit 1911 which will beat itself out of a good fit much sooner which will of course impact accuracy and reliability. The question isn't so much is it an uber tight gun from start to finish but rather has it maintained a consistent tolerance over the past 50k plus rounds or has that round count noticeably loosened the guns tolerances as the round count has gotten higher. If it hasn't that answers my question, if it has that also would be interesting to know as with your pretty extensive documentation it would be revealing as to how all these factors can really impact each other.

We are diminished
    The frame-slide and barrel-slide fit are both pretty solid but I can't give you hard data, it's purely subjective.

Bill (1911guy) could probably answer your question in far greater detail.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The frame-slide and barrel-slide fit are both pretty solid but I can't give you hard data, it's purely subjective.

Bill (1911guy) could probably answer your question in far greater detail.
    My notes indicated about 0.0015-0.002" assuming the average fit of a TRP as the starting point (I have a 20 stainless, 20 carbon TRP sample I drew from).

Todd, I was thinking about both opening and closing forces and realized after I wrote it, my comment/question might not've been clear. I remembered you'd found reliable function early on with the 14# recoil spring but had forgotten that was about closing force. I realize, controlling opening is a function of the recoil spring, mainspring and firing pin stop radius. And friction plays a role. Reading that you'd recently had decent function with the 17# flat wire spring, (standard for 45 auto), is what got me thinking. I realize you've gone to 15# do to recoil impulse, but the idea the gun would cycle with a heavier recoil spring than I believe 9mm 1911s usually come equipped with, inferred that mechanically the gun had loosened up some.

We are diminished
    tomr -- I'm not certain you can draw that conclusion because i have no way of knowing whether the gun would have functioned with the 17# flat spring when new.

Looks like Scott is working with Springfield on making this pistol available in 45acp now!!!

http://warrentactical.com/products.htm

So much for my 2011 build...

User Tag List