Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 PTC Test Guns - Springfield 9mm 1911

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about an extended mag catch. Especially with the thicker Crimson Trace grips and my short thumbs, the current button is ~90% solution
    Alternate idea would be to scoop out the L grip. Might not be pretty, but that ugly deep scoop might get you up to 100% with minimal regripping.
    "The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true."

Very legit question.

First, the actual cycle of operation of the pistol was not affected. It fed, fired, extracted, and ejected properly. If the mag had been left in the gun, it would (presumably) have fed, fired, extracted, and ejected the round that came loose when the mag was pulled out.

Second, the problem was specifically attributable to a repeated issue seen with the Tripp mags. If I'd tried some aftermarket magazines with the M&P, HK, or Glock tests and they caused problems that were non-existant when using factory mags, I wouldn't have counted it against the gun (though I would report it, as I've done here and will do on my site when I write the Week One report).

The one thing to come out of all of this is my decision to stick to Metalform mags. Those are the only 10rd mags that SACS specifically endorsed when I discussed the test with them, so they're the closest thing to "factory" mags for the guns.
    That makes sense, thanks!

I think that the "First" portion is a really good separation line between "malfunction of the gun" and "something unexpected happened".

What's going to be interesting going forwards is that "Second" part. It's very common for malfunctions in 1911's to be "the magazine did it"; sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly. I know in the Glock test, for example, some malfunctions were laid at the doorstep of an aftermarket part, and I seem to recall you separating them out, but still reporting them. I'd suggest that you do the same for something like this, because even though it's not a "malfunction of the gun", it's certainly "something unexpected happened" and people are going to definitely want as much information about that as possible. If it turns out that the Metalform magazines are the best, and that is the only measurable conclusion from the who year with these guns, that's worth the price of admission for readers right there.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Vjornaxx View Post
    Alternate idea would be to scoop out the L grip. Might not be pretty, but that ugly deep scoop might get you up to 100% with minimal regripping.
    The real issue is whether such a scoop is compatible with the Lasergrips. If it is and I have a set modified, I'm then in trouble if I don't like it because I've just ruined a $400 set of grips. I don't think CTC will send me an infinite supply of them to mess with for the heck of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    I'd suggest that you do the same for something like this, because even though it's not a "malfunction of the gun", it's certainly "something unexpected happened" and people are going to definitely want as much information about that as possible.
    That's always been my policy regarding the tests. I have a pretty well established system of what does & doesn't get counted against the gun "officially" in terms of the tally I keep on the website. But every single bobble gets reported in the narrative and readers are obviously free to draw their own conclusions. In some cases, I ask colleagues their opinion about whether a particular issue should count against the gun, as it were.

Right. Not familiar with CT Grip construction. I thought the L panel was just solid; I see from the installation video that both panels contain a battery.
    "The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true."

hmm looks like the grip safety got you on run 2? countdown to pinning that thing........

(I love to focus on the dumb stuff, just in case anyone was wondering)
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    hmm looks like the grip safety got you on run 2? countdown to pinning that thing........
    I don't believe so.

JasonF you can track it here also for straight up info followed by viewers input:

http://pistol-training.com/

A 1.30 draw to a giant target (essentially about 3/4 the size of an entire IPSC or IDPA target) at 5yd isn't that spectacular. Establishing my grip and dealing with the thumb safety are still just different enough that it's slowing me down a bit.
    That's what I meant to say. 1.3 with a new weapon system, fairly different from the one you'd previously run 70k+ rounds through.

We are diminished
    For folks interested in the specifications of the test pistol: Springfield/Warren 9mm 1911 Endurance Test: The Gun.

I don't believe so.
    Hmm, ok, so what was the pause for?
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List