Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 PTC Test Guns - Springfield 9mm 1911

A total of 898 rounds (or 798. Don't exactly remember.. ) were run through test gun today by 5 others along with TLG (who shot the vast majority, obviously) The gun ran....

great, and it got HOT. No stoppages yet. It was actually kind of... boringly reliable.

I mean, really, gun gods? Really? You pick this to run flawlessly?

It's a sweet shooter. Coming from a Glock- ish background and having nearly zero 1911 experience, I found shooting it enlightening. I can see why many adore the platform, and also why (like everything) it is far from perfect and has trade-offs that are all its own.

It's going to be an interesting year for Todd.

Will try and post some videos.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I mean, really, gun gods? Really? You pick this to run flawlessly?
    flawlessly? probably not there will be an ammo or maintenance related hiccup sooner or later. But it will run exactly like a properly setup 1911 runs.

Quote Originally Posted by kmartphoto View Post
    flawlessly? probably not there will be an ammo or maintenance related hiccup sooner or later. But it will run exactly like a properly setup 1911 runs.
    oh certainly. but the comment was made that the HK and the Glock both had stoppages at this point in their respective tests. you know, the super-reliable plastic we all love.

vs now, a 1911, eclipsing them both at this stage.

ironic is not exactly the word I'd use. perhaps, simply, odd.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

oh certainly. but the comment was made that the HK and the Glock both had stoppages at this point in their respective tests. you know, the super-reliable plastic we all love.

vs now, a 1911, eclipsing them both at this stage.

ironic is not exactly the word I'd use. perhaps, simply, odd.
    In defense of the HK and Glock, they didn't get $1k of hand fitting and testing before leaving the shop.

The hypothesis this is supporting is that the 1911 can be reliable....If built properly. And there are few guarantees of that for any pistol and the market today.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    What magazines are you carrying?
    For now, the Wilson's. They've been fine with the P9HST3.

Have you been shooting to slide lock and reloading?
    I've almost exclusively reloaded from slidelock.

Are you using the slide stop or sling shot?
    Slide stop with my L (weak hand) thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by kmartphoto View Post
    These are ETM mags right? Wilson and everyone recommends that you load them full and leave them sit for at least overnight or a few days if possible. The springs are very strong. It is obviously also possible that you got some that have a goofed up follower somehow. Is this happening on all of the mags or just a few?
    The mags weren't difficult to load otherwise. I do not think it's a matter of the spring being too strong. Something is clearly binding up. It only happened with some of them, but it was consistent with those particular mags.

Quote Originally Posted by blr View Post
    Are you shooting predominantly the same ammo as the G17? Just curious. I have an interest in the erosion you saw on the breach face.
    Yes.

Speaking to the accuracy - I wouldn't put too much stock in that just yet, like Tamara said.
    In my journal thread I mentioned that the unfamiliar sights and trigger contributed. Monday I'll get some groups using the Lasergrips as an aiming reference and I expect to get a much more faithful assessment of the gun's accuracy.

I'd ask SACS what they accuracy test with.
    FWIW, prior to committing to the guns I asked the Custom Shop about the barrels and accuracy expectations. Their response: The barrels used in this project are out factory SS9 mm ramped barrels that are the same quality as our TRP/Trophy match barrels. These pistol should produce groups averaging 1.5-2.5” @ 25yds with premium ammunition.

A total of 898 rounds (or 798. Don't exactly remember.. ) were run through test gun today by 5 others along with TLG (who shot the vast majority, obviously) The gun ran....
    Total of 900 rounds (898 Blazer Cleanfire, 2 HST).

We are diminished
    More observations from today:

I feel a lot more fatigue in my hands than I'd normally expect on a day when I only shot about 800 rounds. The substantially heavier weight of the gun exacts a small toll. My expectation is that this issue will go away or at least substantially lessen as I become acclimated to the gun.

The Tripp Cobra mags have a very nasty habit of letting the top round loose when a partially loaded mag is ejected. In one instance, the loaded round got stuck in the mag well and was only discovered when I couldn't insert another mag. They're also absolutely a PITA to get loaded to 10rd sometimes. I'm leaning toward relegating them to reserve & dry-fire duty. The Metalforms continue to be the best of the mags and I'm planning to order another dozen once I'm confident they'll work long term.

I'm seriously thinking about an extended mag catch. Especially with the thicker Crimson Trace grips and my short thumbs, the current button is ~90% solution.

10rd magazines are a distinct disadvantage when working a dueling tree.

the first video of the test gun in action, with TLG shooting the (in?)famous Triple Nickle

he did not shoot these back to back; footage was taken over a period of about 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    In one instance, the loaded round got stuck in the mag well and was only discovered when I couldn't insert another mag.
    I am curious why this is not considered to be a "malfunction". I know that it's totally mag related, and that the mag is a 3rd party component in this case, but it's one heck of a problem to have an utter inability to load a fresh mag. I'd be guessing that if anything else were to take the gun down to the point where you are clearing a live round out of it in order to perform a reload, you'd call that a "malfunction" of some sort, so why not this?

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post
    Can I suggest a new thread? Now that the gun(s) have arrived instead of just being announced.... might be an easier way to concentrate all the range trip reports, feedback, videos, etc.
    How do the prior posts affect that? I'm just not following...

With that said, watching that 1.3x 1st round time- hot damn!
    A 1.30 draw to a giant target (essentially about 3/4 the size of an entire IPSC or IDPA target) at 5yd isn't that spectacular. Establishing my grip and dealing with the thumb safety are still just different enough that it's slowing me down a bit.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    I am curious why this is not considered to be a "malfunction". I know that it's totally mag related, and that the mag is a 3rd party component in this case, but it's one heck of a problem to have an utter inability to load a fresh mag. I'd be guessing that if anything else were to take the gun down to the point where you are clearing a live round out of it in order to perform a reload, you'd call that a "malfunction" of some sort, so why not this?
    Very legit question.

First, the actual cycle of operation of the pistol was not affected. It fed, fired, extracted, and ejected properly. If the mag had been left in the gun, it would (presumably) have fed, fired, extracted, and ejected the round that came loose when the mag was pulled out.

Second, the problem was specifically attributable to a repeated issue seen with the Tripp mags. If I'd tried some aftermarket magazines with the M&P, HK, or Glock tests and they caused problems that were non-existant when using factory mags, I wouldn't have counted it against the gun (though I would report it, as I've done here and will do on my site when I write the Week One report).

The one thing to come out of all of this is my decision to stick to Metalform mags. Those are the only 10rd mags that SACS specifically endorsed when I discussed the test with them, so they're the closest thing to "factory" mags for the guns.

User Tag List