Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 PTC Test Guns - Springfield 9mm 1911

I have never had a gun go down as hard as my former LWC in a staged malfunction drill.

Thunder Ranch DHG2 LL 1999. Raining, 100 degrees anyway, 2 in the morning. Lay your gun down in the gravel, let someone you don't know dick it up, run forward, pick it up, engage.

So the merit scholar from Norcross slips my firing pin stop plate down. Tap, rack, stop falls out, fp hits me in the eye pro and disappears in the pitch black on the black gravel.

I dont normally carry a backup, but I carry one at classes now -- so I can shoot the next guy who does that.
    Ignore Alien Orders

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    ...slips my firing pin stop plate down.
    Oh, that is just evil.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kmartphoto View Post
    These are ETM mags right? Wilson and everyone recommends that you load them full and leave them sit for at least overnight or a few days if possible. The springs are very strong. It is obviously also possible that you got some that have a goofed up follower somehow. Is this happening on all of the mags or just a few?
    I just wanted to pat myself on the back here and point out that I made the same recommendation as Wilson Rep over a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Oh, that is just evil.
    It could happen, right?

Other Pogo, did you peen swage all of your FP stop plates? Yes, other Pogo. Yes I did.

We are diminished
    Thank you. This thread needs more Archer references.

Lots of surprises so far -- in particular as regards 1911 9mm reliability and shootability.

1) Even with the deck stacked with a high dollar, Warren SA custom that no doubt had special attention given this test, that a 9mm 1911 is running as reliably as it is.

2) That with 3,000 or so rounds down range, TLG would be working to beat his FASTest times with a G26.

I really liked watching the video.It shows how fast a pro shooter can be with a 1911 from concealment.I bet SA is pretty happy that the Scot Warren pistol is running well.I've read the marines are getting some new colt 1911's.The 1911 is still one of the finest pistols ever made.JMB might be smiling from above seeing his best pistol passing the test of time.Even in 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Funny you mention that. I've talked to a number of people whose opinions I respect regarding 1911s in particular and shooting in general today. There was strong consensus that a "just cleaned" gun is less trustworthy than one that's had a couple hundred rounds through it.
    Wow, now there's a 1911-ism if I've ever heard one.

Blaming every malfunction on 'bad ammo', and having to perform 2-year-long scientific studies to determine which magazines will run in a particular gun is probably tiresome enough... but now we have to worry about guns being 'too clean'?? Hilarious.

Just bustin' balls. I continue to follow this test with great interest, and am very surprised and impressed with how well the gun's done thus far.
    Last edited by Jameson; 07-26-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    Wow, now there's a 1911-ism if I've ever heard one.

Blaming every malfunction on 'bad ammo', and having to perform 2-year-long scientific studies to determine which magazines will run in a particular gun is probably tiresome enough... but now we have to worry about guns being 'too clean'?? Hilarious.

Just bustin' balls. I continue to follow this test with great interest, and am very surprised and impressed with how well the gun's done thus far.
    I agree with the test fired idea too. I've discussed it with a "demigod" status trainer and noted 1911 fan who may be one of Todd's sources also and we agreed, the most deadnuts trustworthy pistol has been carefully cleaned and checked and then had a good solid test fire done with it.

Even in my low speed mil days we didn't intend to go "tactical" with squeaky clean weapons that hadn't been test fired as part of the OPORD/plan.

And its a slippery slope from there how often we clean our serious guns.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

We are diminished
    Pistol had another stoppage yesterday at #5,231. It had gone 1,754 rounds since last being cleaned and lubricated. During that time the pistol had been disassembled half a dozen times for various reasons.

The pistol began behaving a little sluggishly shortly before the stoppage and I made the conscious decision to keep going to see if it would stop. It did. I lubricated the pistol and it ran without incident for hundreds of rounds afterwards.

Also, another of the Tripp magazines stopped locking the slide back when empty and has been deadlined. Probably not by coincidence, it was the same magazine that was in the gun when the stoppage occurred early in the day. This is becoming a cycle.

I'm reconsidering my choice in mags. I used the Wilsons for half my practice on Friday. The only negative, as noted by others, is that sometimes partially loaded magazines have a tendency to hang in the mag well when the mag catch is pressed. The Wilson magazines place the top round substantially farther forward compared to the Metalforms & Tripps so it takes less movement to get the bullet nose far enough forward to contact the frame when the mag catch is pressed.

I tried the 11# recoil spring on Friday and found no benefit in terms of muzzle movement or shot to shot tracking.

Today I cleaned the gun (including the extractor channel) and replaced the recoil (Wolff 12#) & firing pin (Wolff extra power) springs.
    Last edited by ToddG; 07-28-2012 at 06:21 PM.

User Tag List