Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 PTC Test Guns - Springfield 9mm 1911

We are diminished

2012-13 PTC Test Guns - Springfield 9mm 1911

Because Crimson Trace sent me one each green and grey Lasergrips, I've dubbed the guns "Green" and "Grey" to make things easy. Green shot a little better for me so I've decided to make it the test gun while Grey gets relegated to back-up duty.

Today's tallies:

Green turned in an average of 2.46" groups (benched, five 5-shot groups at 25yd).
    650 total rounds
    • 50rd Speer 124gr +p Gold Dot through Metalform 10rd magazines
    • 100rd CCI 3510 (115gr TMJ Blazer), half through Wilson 10rd magazines and half through the Springfield 9rd mags... two of the Wilson mags (#3 & #5) would not load more than three rounds of this ammo at a time; the other four Wilson mags loaded to ten rounds without trouble
    • 100rd Federal AE9AP (124gr FMJ American Eagle), half through Metalform 10rd mags and half through Tripp 10rd mags
    • 150rd CCI 3460 (124gr TMJ Cleanfire Blazer), 50 through Tripp mags and 100 through Metalform
    • 250rd Federal P9HST3 (124gr +p HST), 25 through Springfield 9rd mags, 50 through Tripp 10rd mags, 75 through Wilson 10rd mags, and 100 through Metalform 10rd mags

Grey averaged 2.88" groups
    550 total rounds
    • 50rd Speer 124gr +p Gold Dot, Wilson 10rd magazines
    • 100rd CCI 3510, half through Springfield 9rd magazines and half through Metalform 10rd
    • 100rd Federal AE9AP, half through Wilson 10rd and half through Tripp 10rd
    • 100rd CCI 3460, 20 through Wilson 10rd, 40 through Metalform 10rd, 40 through Tripp 10rd ... four of the Wilson mags (#1, #3, #4, #5) would not load more than three rounds of this ammo at a time
    • 200rd P9HST3, 25 through Springfield 9rd and 175 through Wilson 10rd

In addition to the issues loading the two Blazer variants into the Wilson magazines, the Wilsons in general had a propensity for getting hung up when trying to load a fourth round of various different loads. Taking all of the rounds out of the mag and reinserting them fixed it for everything but the Blazer, though. Unfortunately, I have more of the Wilson mags than any other brand and the next 50,000 rounds of practice ammo arriving is all Blazer.

I specifically checked each magazine multiple times with multiple types of ammo to see if it would drop when fully loaded, partially loaded, and empty. No issues arose.

As I mentioned to SLG on the phone, the strangest part of this so far is that unlike any other gun I've ever used, each magazine I get through without a stoppage feels like winning the lottery. So many people told me the guns wouldn't run that I'm elated each time ten rounds go off in a row.

edited to add: Green's trigger measured in at 4 3/4 pounds; I have not checked Grey yet
    Last edited by ToddG; 07-14-2012 at 01:07 AM.

What was the BEST 25 yard group and which load delivered if by chance such info is readily at hand?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Todd,

What magazines are you carrying? Have you been shooting to slide lock and reloading? Are you using the slide stop or sling shot?

You've already gotten farther than I imagined.

It looks like you have your magazines numbered. Good. Magazines are the weak point of the 1911. 45's with 7 round mags run great. Everything else is a crap shoot.

Good luck.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    the Wilson magazines, the Wilsons in general had a propensity for getting hung up when trying to load a fourth round of various different loads. Taking all of the rounds out of the mag and reinserting them fixed it for everything but the Blazer, though. Unfortunately, I have more of the Wilson mags than any other brand and the next 50,000 rounds of practice ammo arriving is all Blazer.
    These are ETM mags right? Wilson and everyone recommends that you load them full and leave them sit for at least overnight or a few days if possible. The springs are very strong. It is obviously also possible that you got some that have a goofed up follower somehow. Is this happening on all of the mags or just a few?

This isn't really the group size I'd expect with a custom built 1911s, even for the average of 5 groups.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    This isn't really the group size I'd expect with a custom built 1911s, even for the average of 5 groups.
    Especially considering that these are just 9mm versions of a gun known to be stupid accurate.

I wouldn't get too spun up until I see what it does with a load it likes, though.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    As I mentioned to SLG on the phone, the strangest part of this so far is that unlike any other gun I've ever used, each magazine I get through without a stoppage feels like winning the lottery. So many people told me the guns wouldn't run that I'm elated each time ten rounds go off in a row.
    That will quickly give way to a more twisted feeling of anticipation with every shot.

Are you shooting predominantly the same ammo as the G17? Just curious. I have an interest in the erosion you saw on the breach face.

Speaking to the accuracy - I wouldn't put too much stock in that just yet, like Tamara said. Unlike with the 45, there really isn't (that I'm aware of) a benchmark load like the 4.7-4.8g of Bullseye over a 200g LSWC loaded to 1.250" with a 0.469 crimp. If you 45 doesn't shoot that load really well, you likely have bum gun.

In my limited 9mm experience, accuracy is all over the map w/ different loads. Though I've heard, heard the 147g stuff shoots best typically. Meaning there isn't a "common reference point." That said, Todds new heaters are shooting consistently, so that's a good indication. I'd ask SACS what they accuracy test with.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    In fairness on at least my version from Scott Warren the barrel has that loaded chamber cut which indicates to me it's a standard barrel Springfield uses in their production 1911s'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    In fairness on at least my version from Scott Warren the barrel has that loaded chamber cut which indicates to me it's a standard barrel Springfield uses in their production 1911s'.
    It is and it isn't. The Loaded 9mms all have Storm Lake barrels IIRC. So they are both Storm Lake, but the Custom Shop, as far as I know, use gunsmith fit barrels, where the others are drop in (special ordered, I think).

Storm Lake is a great barrel, in the bullseye crowd they are "B" list. Kart would be an "A" list barrel, for whatever that is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by blr View Post
    Storm Lake is a great barrel, in the bullseye crowd they are "B" list. Kart would be an "A" list barrel, for whatever that is worth.
    +1

User Tag List