Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-13 PTC Test Guns - Springfield 9mm 1911

I had a Hi Power built up by C&S back in the late 80's or early 90's. Recently it cracked the locking lug in the slide and I sent it back for repair. When I was talking to them about sending it back they asked how many rounds through it? When I told them about 20K they said they liked to see high round count guns to see how they held up.

Mine is a safe queen now. I ran it in IDPA for a year. Got my Master classification shooting that gun. Scott Warren shot one for the first few years in IDPA.

Quote Originally Posted by kmartphoto View Post
    The high thumb and its inherently better grip mechanics
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    On what are you basing this statement?

Thumbs forward, especially on the weak hand, allows for a much better wrist lock; I find the locked wrist, on the weak hand, to be critical for effective recoil control.

FWIW: Bill Rogers advocates a thumb down grip, for anatomical reasons, when shooting one handed.
    I'm basing it on the exact reasons you state actually.

With your thumb on the safety you have an exact index point and your support hand drops right into place, both thumbs forward. Ditto for week hand shooting since you now have not only the thumb forward grip you are used to but your thumb in that and a strong grip position helps to keep the gun from recoiling to the ungripped side.

If im not mistaken Rodgers is advocating the thumb down on guns without a safety because you tend to grip harder with your thumb when shooting one handed. On a gun without the awesome thumb shelf this can impede the slide, with a thumb safety that grip strength can be transfered to recoil control without issue.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by kmartphoto View Post
    With your thumb on the safety you have an exact index point and your support hand drops right into place, both thumbs forward. Ditto for week hand shooting since you now have not only the thumb forward grip you are used to but your thumb in that and a strong grip position helps to keep the gun from recoiling to the ungripped side.
    High thumbs is NOT forward thumbs.

High thumbs is NOT forward thumbs.
    I think we are misunderstanding each other I will try to take a picture for you.

Site Supporter
    Here is a picture of a thumbs forward grip, with weak hand wrist lock.
    Attachment 1085

High thumb:
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm...emi-automatic/
    Last edited by JV_; 10-12-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Here is a picture of a thumbs forward grip, with weak hand wrist lock.
    Attachment 1085
    This is the grip im talking about... sorry for my poor choice of words.

We are diminished
    The test gun ran 650rd over three days during an LE Pistol class in TX without any additional lubrication or cleaning. Between the new Wilson ETM mags and Jason Burton blessing the gun with his touch, I have high hopes for the future.

Round count is 18,100 with 9 gun-induced (in my assessment) stoppages so far, continuing to skate right along the 2,000 MRBS line...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I don't remember all the details, but yes it was more than just the barrel lug. Unanimous consent was that expecting a BHP to work as a 50k gun was simply unrealistic.
    As I mentioned on the other Hi Power thread we've got running on the forum concurrently, I'm not so sure that I agree; I strongly suspect that most of the empirical experience(s) leading up to such conclusions on a Hi Power's viable lifespan were worked up on earlier (pre-1994) forged frame, less thorough-hardened examples.

Newer (1994 and later) Hi Powers (all production .40 variants by definition, and I believe all, or most post 1994 production 9mm Hi Powers) are the beneficiaries of more thorough-hardened cast frames and smaller components; I don't know if the forged slides were also the recipients of the increased thorough-hardening as well.

The .40 program really forced FN to put the Hi Power under the microscope to achieve desired levels of durability and reliability over their forecasted lifespans, as they still were aimed at achieving military and LEO contracts (although by 1994 I suspect that the increasing reality was that the Hi Powers were more likely to be purchased by gray-haired aficionados like myself...). These improvements were duly quickly passed over to the 9mm Hi Powers (probably if nothing else to simplify overall production for a line with relatively small sales).

I strongly suspect that these post-1994 cast-framed guns have a far greater durability than their forged-framed predecessors. Despite several faults, out-of-the-box reliability has not been a significant issue with Hi Powers, as it has recently been with several (if not many) of the ostensibly more modern/higher tech semi-autos. I think that a long term/high round count test of a contemporary 9mm Hi Power might yield some surprising results.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 10-12-2012 at 04:14 PM.

I've just read elsewhere that this pistol snapped a mainspring-housing pin today. I thought you might be interested to know this may be a "known issue" with Springfield pistols; when I first got into shooting years ago, I had a chat with someone from an agency that issued Springfield 1911s. At the time, I was shooting a Springfield, and he indicated they had snapped a few factory mainspring pins. He blamed the dreaded "MIM" process.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I could swear I've read something to this effect at a 1911-centric forum recently; maybe over at Hilton Yam's place?

We are diminished
    Springfield has already responded, saying that it's something they see occasionally with the S&A magwell MSH. The custom shop uses a special pin made from, and I quote, "a super tough alloy" that they say has all but eliminated the issue. It's unknown at this time whether these guns came with the custom pin or a standard one. SACS is sending me some of the custom pins.

User Tag List