Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MUC failure in parking lot, but any longer term concern?

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    He walked/followed them to the shop, holding the door open to let them in and trying to come off as super friendly, etc. I think my mom felt like the guy and whole situation was weird, so she kept an eye on him in the store and noticed he eventually left without ordering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I think that is very telling.
    Ditto.

If it was just someone inquiring about purchasing the car, I wouldn't necessarily be weirded out. However, that bit is definitely an anomaly and changes things.

Not only that anomaly, but the fact your mom had weird feelings. Intuition should be recognized and not ignored, and combined with something that is not normal behavior by any objective standard, I think it's reasonable to suspect that your parents were being targeted for something.

A lot of times going to the police won't yield anything. However, there's plenty of cases that have been solved by dumb-luck of random tips from people who saw something weird and reported it....that whole "if you see something, say something". It could be worth it just to shoot it over to the local PD, as it's entirely possible they're tracking someone targeting old folks. If so, there's now likely video surveillance of his face/his car. Plenty of criminals get caught when they get overconfident and make mistakes, like being bold and contacting people in public areas with video surveillance.

If the PD doesn't respond with anything of interest (either legitimately or because the guy who answers the phone is just fucking lazy), then no-harm no-foul.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I live in DFW and get the same thing--offers for my home by strangers by letters, phonecalls, and texts. Here is how I respond to texts:
    I've gotten several of those texts offering to buy my condo. As much as I'd like to be, I'm not *quite* in the market for a "real" house yet, so my response has always been something along the lines of "$500K tomorrow and I get as long as I need to move out." (The condo in question is worth maybe $150K if I'm lucky.). Somehow they never reply...

@Ed L

When I get a text from an unknown contact, I not only don't reply...I block the number from contacting me again. So far, it has worked.

Why invite them to follow up? It can lead nowhere good, imho.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @Ed L

When I get a text from an unknown contact, I not only don't reply...I block the number from contacting me again. So far, it has worked.

Why invite them to follow up? It can lead nowhere good, imho.
    Agreed.... Replying just validates to them that they hit a working number. Likely increases future spam.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Agreed.... Replying just validates to them that they hit a working number. Likely increases future spam.
    Yup; it’s entered into the Indian call center networks that this is a valid number who will answer and they’ll later sell your number to other scam houses along with all the other numbers who answered.

There a a couple of guys on YouTube channels that are nothing but them running l reverse scams on these people and explaining how they work and what they do. Watching one or two is worth the time.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    1. If dude has friends in your parents state and he can connect dad's phone number to his unoccupied address....

2. There's a scam going via Craigslist where a perp replies to a for sale ad, asks for your cell phone number, then eventually asks for your direct email (outside the CL anonymizer). Perp then sends an authentication code from your email provider (Google is a very popular throw away) then asks you for the code to "confirm that you are not a scammer". The perp then uses the code to gain control of your email account and tries to reset your passwords at financial institutions. <br><br>Complex but apparently real. <br><br>
    I've seen that. I've used Craigslist to sell a pickup and an RV recently. The number of scammers hitting your ad is pretty amazing. I'd say about 20% of the responses. Another 20% are dealers. It's a jungle out there.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List