Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MUC failure in parking lot, but any longer term concern?

MUC failure in parking lot, but any longer term concern?

My parents related an experience from lunchtime today and I feel like something was off with the situation but can't quite place it. It seems like things are fine for now, and I could be overreacting, but wanted to see what others think.

Parents are visiting from out of state and driving their mid-2000s Honda, which they took to the local sandwich shop to pick up lunch. In the parking lot after they had parked and were walking to the store, some guy came up and mentioned the brake light was out, their car was old, etc. He also said he would be interested in buying the car, and asked for their phone number and my dad exchanged name/number. I think all of this happened outside the shop in the parking lot, but some of it could have happened while they were in line in the store - I'm not clear on the specifics there.

He walked/followed them to the shop, holding the door open to let them in and trying to come off as super friendly, etc. I think my mom felt like the guy and whole situation was weird, so she kept an eye on him in the store and noticed he eventually left without ordering. When they left the store with their food, she said the guy and his car was gone.

Obviously there was a lot of stupid decisions made by my parents in this situation where the guy was an unknown, although I think my mom did the right thing at least keeping an eye on him in the shop and seeing if he'd left before returning to their car. Other than worrying about generally trying to help them understand how and why to MUC (my dad still insists nothing is wrong), are there any things I should be worried about given the sketchy nature of that conversation and the fact my dad shared his name (not legal name) and phone number?

If this person views your parents as potential targets...he might call in the near future to arrange to come by and see the vehicle...the real reason for which might be nefarious...or might not...but I wouldn't chance it.

Have your father or mother tell any caller in no uncertain terms that the vehicle is not for sale and that their 30 year old (ninja special forces trained) son wants to keep it.

No further info should be shared with any callers and they should just be aware if any strange folks are seen loitering in the area of their home (assuming the number shared was a landline).

ETA: If your parents state is far from yours, chances are it would have been a crime of opportunity at the moment as opposed to planning something in a faraway locale. But I'd still blow off any contact and be mindful, even though it's probably over and done with.
    Last edited by blues; 04-15-2021 at 12:36 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

At this point I don't think you can do anything further. Your parents probably should not return to that sandwich shop. I think your mom had it right; something hinky was going on, or was about to. It's not "normal" for people to randomly stop you and offer to buy your used car.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    My parents related an experience from lunchtime today and I feel like something was off with the situation but can't quite place it. It seems like things are fine for now, and I could be overreacting, but wanted to see what others think.

Parents are visiting from out of state and driving their mid-2000s Honda, which they took to the local sandwich shop to pick up lunch. In the parking lot after they had parked and were walking to the store, some guy came up and mentioned the brake light was out, their car was old, etc. He also said he would be interested in buying the car, and asked for their phone number and my dad exchanged name/number. I think all of this happened outside the shop in the parking lot, but some of it could have happened while they were in line in the store - I'm not clear on the specifics there.

He walked/followed them to the shop, holding the door open to let them in and trying to come off as super friendly, etc. I think my mom felt like the guy and whole situation was weird, so she kept an eye on him in the store and noticed he eventually left without ordering. When they left the store with their food, she said the guy and his car was gone.

Obviously there was a lot of stupid decisions made by my parents in this situation where the guy was an unknown, although I think my mom did the right thing at least keeping an eye on him in the shop and seeing if he'd left before returning to their car. Other than worrying about generally trying to help them understand how and why to MUC (my dad still insists nothing is wrong), are there any things I should be worried about given the sketchy nature of that conversation and the fact my dad shared his name (not legal name) and phone number?
    Normally I'd be suspicious but there is currently a shortage / scarcity of both new and used vehicles due to COVID and COVID related supply chain issues.

There is a recent PF thread about this here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ler-apocalypse

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    At this point I don't think you can do anything further. Your parents probably should not return to that sandwich shop. I think your mom had it right; something hinky was going on, or was about to. It's not "normal" for people to randomly stop you and offer to buy your used car.
    Normally I would agree with you but I've actually heard the same story recently from multiple friends and co-workers.

There is currently a scarcity of both new and used cars due to increased demand and COVID related supply chain issues.

@JM Campbell can speak to the current state of the car market.

Site Supporter
    Normally I would agree with you but it has become a thing due to COVID. I've actually heard the same story recently from multiple friends and co-workers.

There is currently a scarcity of both new and used cars due to increased demand and COVID related supply chain issues.

Site Supporter
    Double Tap

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Normally I would agree with you but I've actually heard the same story recently from multiple friends and co-workers.

Wow.

Not currently in the market but could certainly see that.

Wow.

Not currently in the market but could certainly see that.
    Very common now, used vehicles at auction are near or at retail prices currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

That happened multiple times when my parents were alive. My dad always responded, "Sure, I'll sell you my car. For $50,000 cash." Further interactions did not go well, because he was not very nice to people trying to scam him.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List