Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Just When I Started Carrying a Semiauto Pistol, I Saw This..

@Trooper224 I am in no way shape or form saying a revolver is more reliable than a semiautomatic. I’m carrying my Dan Wesson Vigil today, and it hasn’t failed yet. My wife and I watch all of the Police Activity videos, and the ER incident caused me to assess my choices while lying in bed last night. I will say that any firearm I use is cleaned meticulously after every single use. It’s not possible to say I clean one type more than another, because they are all given the white glove treatment. I did stop by the range at lunch time, and fired a couple of mags through my Dan Wesson. It will be thoroughly cleaned this evening. I’ve tried to forego cleaning after short range sessions, but my OCD won’t allow it. My takeaway from this incident is have a BUG, but I don’t carry one. Maybe that will change.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    This call has led to civil unrest in Columbus, Ohio.
    Just rolled my eyes so hard I might need to go see an ophthalmologist

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Just rolled my eyes so hard I might need to go see an ophthalmologist
    I just went to my med cabinet and took a dose of Phucemol.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGP100 View Post
    I just went to my med cabinet and took a dose of Phucemol.
    I've been taking so much that I'm beginning to build quite a tolerance to these days ....

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGP100 View Post
    All I can say is I am glad I wasn't there. I used to work in emergency rooms as an RN. Always stayed on edge for the crazy to come in and have that same kind of situation. Of course it was instant termination if a member of the staff was caught with a concealed handgun.
    My father was a family practitioner for around 45 years. He had a large stockpile of drugs in his office, and drug addicts know this. He started carrying a Ruger SP101 in his lab coat during the early 80’s, and flashed it a few times. He went into a group practice until he 90’s, and everyone in the office carried. The oldest associate had pistols staged all around the office, and carried one in his lab coat. Both he and my father have passed away, but my wife and I still go there. Dr. X told my wife and I a story about the eldest doctor one day. Dr. X called called in Dr. Eldest to consult with a patient. Dr. Eldest struggled to free his stethoscope from his lab coat pocket, and catapulted a derringer through the air, which then bounced off the wall, slid across the floor, and eventually came to rest at the patient’s foot. Dr. X knew the story was humorous, but he told it with just a bit of twinkle in his eye, making it absolutely hysterical. The patient didn’t react at all, and Dr. Eldest simply picked it up, and slipped it back in his pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    My father was a family practitioner for around 45 years. He had a large stockpile of drugs in his office, and drug addicts know this. He started carrying a Ruger SP101 in his lab coat during the early 80’s, and flashed it a few times. He went into a group practice until he 90’s, and everyone in the office carried. The oldest associate had pistols staged all around the office, and carried one in his lab coat. Both he and my father have passed away, but my wife and I still go there. Dr. X told my wife and I a story about the eldest doctor one day. Dr. X called called in Dr. Eldest to consult with a patient. Dr. Eldest struggled to free his stethoscope from his lab coat pocket, and catapulted a derringer through the air, which then bounced off the wall, slid across the floor, and eventually came to rest at the patient’s foot. Dr. X knew the story was humorous, but he told it with just a bit of twinkle in his eye, making it absolutely hysterical. The patient didn’t react at all, and Dr. Eldest simply picked it up, and slipped it back in his pocket.
    Back when New Orleans got hit and Houston got swamped with NOLA's I carried my sp101 a few days in the EC. fanny pack. How I would have loved to have an LCR.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Few things:

1) The verbally stating your complying while actually not is very common. It's priming onlookers to be sympathetic to the suspect and trying to gain an edge on the cops as the "mental friction" of the mismatch of actions and words takes processing power in the brain to resolve.

2) When someone's arm is under them, that's a *great* use for the baton. Use it as a lever. Slide the baton in the crook of their elbow, put the tip on the ground/bed/sofa, whatever, and lever the arm out. Even really strong doped up guys can be overwhelmed with leverage and you'll get the arm out.

3) Drive stuns are prohibited at more and more places because what you see happen happens. The Taser in drive stun is purely pain compliance. Deploy the probes, get muscles to lock up, maybe a different out come.

4) I get everyone is hyped up. One officer gives commands, everyone else shuts up. One, talking takes mental processing power. You slow your reaction time, not by a lot but measurably, while you're talking. Two, the odds of giving conflicting commands are zero when only one guy is giving commands. As the sergeant on scene, I always designate one guy as 'voice' and it's never me.

5) Got to practice those malfunction drills. Lock the slide back or it stays locked up.

6) Revolvers do mitigate issues due to hasty grips and entangled fights. Yes, they have other issues. Many of which will not be relevant to the individual or the incident. I don't really care what it takes to keep one running as a soldier in the desert because I'm not a soldier in the desert. I don't care if it'll run 2k rounds without cleaning because I won't be running it 2k rounds between cleaning. There's pros and cons and we're capable of having that nuanced discussion.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Fail in the first 15 seconds of the video: "Let me pat you down and make sure you don't have any weapons..."
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    My son's RSO was a female officer from our hometown department. A while later my son and I were shooting at my club with the head firearms instructor from our hometown department. This officer is the real deal and a regular podium finisher at the CT SWAT challenge top cop competition. Stations Day came up in discussion and of course I asked about the my son's RSO that fateful day. I was informed that the Chief of Police said that there must be a female firearms instructor in the department and 'she' got the nod being the best they had that fit the gender qualification.

I should also add that during my son's time on the firing line she kept giving my son pointers like, "shoot faster", this was a bullseye event with firing points from 3 - 25 yards without time constraints. She also told my son he was "gripping the gun too tightly". FYI he finished in 2nd place out of hundreds and prior to that day never shot a DA/SA gun before.
    You don't need a penis to be a terrible RSO.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Then he failed on that point as well.

Look, I love revolvers, I have a bunch of them, Colt's and Smith & Wessons. I've also owned Rugers, Ubertis and even a few Tauris' I hate to claim. No one has to inject me with revolver love because I have plenty of it. However, we're talking about context, in this case an LE context. In that context a revolver is a vastly inferior tool to a semi-auto. I can't really imagine why that's even a debate in 2021. A revolver in this situation could have experienced any number of things, a backed out extractor rod, debris under the extractor star, a high primer, any and all of which would have deadlined the gun. All of which had just as high a likelihood of happening compared to the malfunction shown. I started my LE career with a revolver and I saw all these things occur, this is not conjecture. Were there times I got all sentimental and nostalgic for my old Model 27 in that leather basketweave holster, as opposed to the plastic pistol in the plastic holster I had to carry? Sure, but none of it had to do with anything objective or practical.

Currently we have folks extolling the virtues of the revolver. They'll do a 2k torture test without a single problem, or go through a match without a hickup and claim the old axioms about revolvers being fragile are vastly overblown. Well, shooting a match is one thing. Firing off 2k rounds in the controlled environment of a shooting range is another. Carrying a revolver out in the reals is another thing entirely. Trot down to the Stop-n-Rob for a Slurpy with your wheel gun AWIB and you never have a problem. Good for you. Walk around in the woods with your dog and your six-shooter and pop off a few rounds at some critter, outstanding. Ever carried a revolver in a duty holster policing urban america and had it get bashed around getting in and out of a cruiser, or get it banged around wrestling with a crackhead on the blacktop? Ever carried a relvolver in police work riding a motor and dealt with the grime it seems to attract at an unworldly level? Go back farther. Ever been an English Tommy running around the desert at El Alamein, trying to keep your Webley running in the sand? You're a veteran, you've seen how equipment gets abused in field service. Objectively, how do you think your favorite revolver would fair in a similar situation? It looks like an M&P in the video. Take an M&P and your favorite revolver, go to a range and throw them both down range onto the concrete, now see which one fared better. There's a good reason why revolvers are no longer used in the military and law enforcement (except for a few European police units who're doing it more for panache than practicality).

You want to carry a revolver simply because you like it? You good big boy, I'm all for it. I'm currently carrying an S&W 4506 for that very reason, so I'm a big believer in the passion of the gun. However, if one wants to use an incident like this as an illustration of some sort of tangible benefit the wheelgun supposedly possesses? Then I'll have to call bullshit on that. There's a lot worthy of discussion in this video, the type of hardware used isn't one of them.
    You're sounding a little hostile. You may be looking at this solely from a LE pov and thereby, all on your own, inferring that the OP is making a case for LE to go back to revolvers. He's not.

Your appeal to authority is noted.

Last I checked this is the hardware section.

Revolvers are more resilient to malfs with compromised grips or in entanglements.

You want to turn this into a pissing match with how many crackheads you've wrestled with while carrying a revolver, okay you win. (I did lose an M9 mag while detaining another Marine while stationed in DC fwiw)

User Tag List