Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Just When I Started Carrying a Semiauto Pistol, I Saw This..

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    @Trooper224 I am in no way shape or form saying a revolver is more reliable than a semiautomatic. I’m carrying my Dan Wesson Vigil today, and it hasn’t failed yet. My wife and I watch all of the Police Activity videos, and the ER incident caused me to assess my choices while lying in bed last night. I will say that any firearm I use is cleaned meticulously after every single use. It’s not possible to say I clean one type more than another, because they are all given the white glove treatment. I did stop by the range at lunch time, and fired a couple of mags through my Dan Wesson. It will be thoroughly cleaned this evening. I’ve tried to forego cleaning after short range sessions, but my OCD won’t allow it. My takeaway from this incident is have a BUG, but I don’t carry one. Maybe that will change.
    I don't want you to get the impression I'm bagging on you personally, I'm not. The Vigil is an excellent choice, I happen to love my Valor. I'm also a big proponent for revolver use by the average citizen. They offer tangible benefits that have nothing to do with mechanical reliability. Honestly, unless you're a professional problem solver like a cop, I don't think a BUG is all that necessary. I don't carry one anymore and I don't feel in jeopardy because of it. If anything, the takeaway from this incident might be to stay the hell out of the emergency room.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I agree with Trooper224 in re revolvers from the aspect that I now universally recommend revolvers to non-dedicated people.

DB, Chuck, and those folks have done yeoman work articulating why I’ve adopted that train of thought. Check this forum and follow DB’s Shooting Adventures on Facebook for the background.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    You're sounding a little hostile. You may be looking at this solely from a LE pov and thereby, all on your own, inferring that the OP is making a case for LE to go back to revolvers. He's not.

Your appeal to authority is noted.

Last I checked this is the hardware section.

Revolvers are more resilient to malfs with compromised grips or in entanglements.

You want to turn this into a pissing match with how many crackheads you've wrestled with while carrying a revolver, okay you win. (I did lose an M9 mag while detaining another Marine while stationed in DC fwiw)
    Not hostile at all and I don't do pissing contests. I mention those things to add context. (Remember that word? I used it before.) Through those experiences I know more than a little about the issues revolvers face in service and your eye roll is a rather immature response. If you don't realize that then you can fuck off on the same horse you rode up on. That's hostile, see the difference?

The OP is using a specific incident to illustrate his preference for a revolver. This is a very specific LE related incident involving LE issues, so that's the context in which I judged his comments. If he decided to relate an incident wherein his semi-auto got caught on his board shorts at the beach and he got mugged by some thugs, then in that case I might have a different response. I don't wear board shorts nor do I hang out at the beach, so my context is limited. On the other hand, this particular kind of situation is something I know more than a little about.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    3) Drive stuns are prohibited at more and more places because what you see happen happens. The Taser in drive stun is purely pain compliance. Deploy the probes, get muscles to lock up, maybe a different out come.
    I had a friend in LE hit me with a drive stun from a taser a couple of years back because I was curious. Yeah it kinda hurt, but the surprising thing to me was is it instantly flipped my rampage switch. I didn’t actually attack anyone because I was with a group of friends, but I had that endorphin cocktail instantly dumped into my system, from one shock. Then I was so amped up I asked for a couple more, I guess because why not.

All right, enough of this taser diversion back to regularly scheduled wheel gun programming.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Few things:

2) When someone's arm is under them, that's a *great* use for the baton. Use it as a lever. Slide the baton in the crook of their elbow, put the tip on the ground/bed/sofa, whatever, and lever the arm out. Even really strong doped up guys can be overwhelmed with leverage and you'll get the arm out.
    It's been a really long time since I've been trained or had to apply use of force policies. I had the same thought but I know I'm not up on current practices.

Are batons still an option for most departments?

I wasn't sure if impact weapons were suffering negative PR these days and getting prohibited. It did seem like a properly-employed long, hard stick might have changed the outcome of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Not hostile at all and I don't do pissing contests. I mention those things to add context. (Remember that word? I used it before.) Through those experiences I know more than a little about the issues revolvers face in service and your eye roll is a rather immature response. If you don't realize that then you can fuck off on the same horse you rode up on. That's hostile, see the difference?

The OP is using a specific incident to illustrate his preference for a revolver. This is a very specific LE related incident involving LE issues, so that's the context in which I judged his comments. If he decided to relate an incident wherein his semi-auto got caught on his board shorts at the beach and he got mugged by some thugs, then in that case I might have a different response. I don't wear board shorts nor do I hang out at the beach, so my context is limited. On the other hand, this particular kind of situation is something I know more than a little about.
    Grappling with assholes is not limited to cops. It's not as specific as you think. Do you know how many patients Ive grappled with? In either the ER or psych hospitals? Or while bouncing?

My eye roll was in response to your "big boy" comment... Speaking of maturity.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    It's been a really long time since I've been trained or had to apply use of force policies. I had the same thought but I know I'm not up on current practices.

Are batons still an option for most departments?

I wasn't sure if impact weapons were suffering negative PR these days and getting prohibited. It did seem like a properly-employed long, hard stick might have changed the outcome of that.
    We're mandated to have them, although you don't have to have it on your belt any longer. If you don't wear it on your belt, you are supposed to have it in your car as "available", although for the life of me I can't figure out how it's going to do you much good there.

I will say some of my younger guys put their batons back on their belt once they saw me demonstrate the technique with a real world resisting suspect.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

3) Drive stuns are prohibited at more and more places because what you see happen happens. The Taser in drive stun is purely pain compliance. Deploy the probes, get muscles to lock up, maybe a different out come.
    This is because the leads are not far enough apart?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Grappling with assholes is not limited to cops. It's not as specific as you think. Do you know how many patients Ive grappled with? In either the ER or psych hospitals? Or while bouncing?

My eye roll was in response to your "big boy" comment... Speaking of maturity.
    Jesus man, I never said I was the only one with those kind of experiences, nor did I assume it was specific. If you're perceiving some kind of dick measuring contest going on here I honestly don't know what to tell you. Providing context through personal experience is something we typically do here as it adds relevance to our statements, I don't know why you seem to have such a problem with it.

As to the latter, I honestly typed that as "You go boy". I don't know what happened there, nor do I see why you'd have a problem with it either way, since I was pretty clearly stating I have no problem with someone's choice to carry a revolver, in a revolver related thread. If you want to cherry pick two or three words out of an entire post and find issue with it I have no answer for you.

I'll step out of this thread since I've pretty clearly communicated my position and I've already given your umbrage more time than it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Jesus man, I never said I was the only one with those kind of experiences, nor did I assume it was specific.
    "This is a very specific LE related incident involving LE issues, so that's the context in which I judged his comments"

User Tag List