Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Just When I Started Carrying a Semiauto Pistol, I Saw This..

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    This is because the leads are not far enough apart?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Drive stun doesn’t use the probes (which, with proper spread and contact, cause neuromuscular incapacitation). It’s done with the cartridge off.

I used drive stun exactly one time. From there on out, if I was up close, I would discharge the taser at “point blank” range, then move the taser to a different part of the body (leg, usually) to get the spread required to achieve NMI. Worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We're mandated to have them, although you don't have to have it on your belt any longer. If you don't wear it on your belt, you are supposed to have it in your car as "available", although for the life of me I can't figure out how it's going to do you much good there.

I will say some of my younger guys put their batons back on their belt once they saw me demonstrate the technique with a real world resisting suspect.
    Just curious, real batons or ASPs? Chicago PD still carry old school, straight, hardwood, batons. And having seen them use them, they do so to good effect. The only thing I've ever really seen ASPs do is bend, break, or otherwise suck.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Just curious, real batons or ASPs? Chicago PD still carry old school, straight, hardwood, batons. And having seen them use them, they do so to good effect. The only thing I've ever really seen ASPs do is bend, break, or otherwise suck.
    ASP is a brand name. We carry collapsible batons, but Monadnock brand. We have wooden ones for riot control, but they are too long to carry while seated in your car.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    This is because the leads are not far enough apart?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Yeah, like TC215 explains:

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Drive stun doesn’t use the probes (which, with proper spread and contact, cause neuromuscular incapacitation). It’s done with the cartridge off.

I used drive stun exactly one time. From there on out, if I was up close, I would discharge the taser at “point blank” range, then move the taser to a different part of the body (leg, usually) to get the spread required to achieve NMI. Worked great.
    There are contacts on the end of the Taser. They will spark between them and that's what most people think of when they think "stun gun", but it just creates pain. The Taser fires probes, then the muscles between the probes are mechanically locked up as the electricity forces them to contract like your nerve signals do. As TC215 explains, you can then create a triangle by also using the contacts and electricity runs between all three points for a lot of muscle lock up. Note that it also hurts, like a really serious muscle cramp, so you have both pain compliance and actual physical inability to unlock the muscles between the various contacts.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Lemme jump back in regarding revolvers and law enforcement. If I were a police officer, I’d carry a rifle(!!!). When I see police movies, and they intentionally bring a pistol to a raid, I scream at the TV. Listening to Uncle Scotty talk about how he was limited to carrying an extra 12 rounds was terrifying. I’m just a humble citizen, so going full John Wick isn’t my thing. I hope that I will NEVER EVER have to use a firearm in self defense, but I’m ready.

@Trooper224 I get what you were saying. I’d be decked out like G.I. Joe if I worked in law enforcement. 👍👍👍

@03RN During my freshman year in college, I worked as a night security guard at a hospital. They made it very clear we were only there for insurance purposes, and I had ZERO training. It was me and a retired guy, and we were supposed to switch off every two hours. One inside, and one outside. We quickly decided I could park my car outside the ER and sleep all night, and he could hang out inside the ER and harass the nurses. There was a male nurse, and he was built like Dave Bautista. I came into the ER one night, and the nurse and a scroungy looking biker were having a battle royale. Every punch looked like a knockout, but these guys kept swinging. The “patient” saw me, and screamed, “You didn’t have to call the cops!” That was my cue to make an immediate left turn into the security office, and to make sure the police were on their way. I emerged when the police walked past, holding night sticks (1980). They knocked this guy around pretty good, and the nurse was glad to see them. The biker came in an ambulance, but left in a police car. I decided to stay in my car the rest of that semester. 😳🤣

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    My takeaway from this incident is have a BUG, but I don’t carry one. Maybe that will change.
    My two main reasons for a totin’ a second gun are because I am indefinitely stuck mid-way in a transition from right-side primary carry to lefty primary carry, as my right hand, arm, and shoulder are not aging well, and because the weapon on my right side, for my numb-thumb/limp-wrist right hand, tends to be a revolver. A speed-loader seems to be almost as bulky to carry as a second gun, so, the second gun makes sense.

The most memorable mechanical breakage, in/on a handgun, seared into my memory, is the discovery, upon arriving at home, after a busy night shift, that the mainspring inside my S&W duty revolver was rattling-about inside the grip frame. I pulled the grips, and the mainspring fell out, in two pieces. So, yes, this is also a reason I became somewhat religious about second handguns, while working patrol. And, of course, a comforting habit that is established, tends to remain a habit.

I did have some autos go bad, but the only one that required tools to remedy was a case stuck in the chamber of an S&W 3913 or 3953. The case had to be driven out with a brass rod and a mallet. The case and spent primer showed indications of excess pressure, so that one was an ammo problem.

I had one or more Colt Commanders, in the Eighties, that tended to “double feed,” which required more than just a tap-rack to fix, but it/they never attained carry or duty pistol status. I may have used the front of the base plate of a spare mag, to rip the mag out of the weapon, which would, I reckon, actually be using a “tool.”
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    As TC215 explains, you can then create a triangle by also using the contacts and electricity runs between all three points for a lot of muscle lock up. Note that it also hurts, like a really serious muscle cramp, so you have both pain compliance and actual physical inability to unlock the muscles between the various contacts.
    Gotcha. My wife has a little electric gadget that stimulates muscle activity, sorta like a battery powered masseuse. I had some bitchin back pain and tried it, and I think it was helpful, but crank it up too high and it didn't cause pain, but damn sure wasn't soothing. But exactly as described, the leads were spread out across my back. I have wondered how the things can make strong guys crumple in the demos, but some high guy can pretty well tolerate the contact use.

Back to the pistol topic, I am a pretty big M&P fanboi, and am wondering if we might ever learn more about this situation. I found this article:
    https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news...133433159.html
    that talks about transitioning to the M&P-9 in 2017 after using the M&P-45 since 1991 with a fuzzy reference to something else I read that indicated they may have also implemented the M&P-40 in 2008. If this is a 2017 pistol it could be 1.0 or 2.0, depending on what and when they bought, not that it matters. I went back and looked at the video and didn't see anything that really tipped me off to what version, I also reviewed the video and the pistol in question only fired the one shot. Wondering if there is something broken in that one example or a potential flaw in that magazine, but I am just some guy who has seven or eight of the things that he carries almost everyday.

Back to the pistol topic, I am a pretty big M&P fanboi, and am wondering if we might ever learn more about this situation. I found this article:
    https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news...133433159.html
    that talks about transitioning to the M&P-9 in 2017 after using the M&P-45 since 1991 with a fuzzy reference to something else I read that indicated they may have also implemented the M&P-40 in 2008. If this is a 2017 pistol it could be 1.0 or 2.0, depending on what and when they bought, not that it matters. I went back and looked at the video and didn't see anything that really tipped me off to what version, I also reviewed the video and the pistol in question only fired the one shot. Wondering if there is something broken in that one example or a potential flaw in that magazine, but I am just some guy who has seven or eight of the things that he carries almost everyday.[/QUOTE]

Are you seriously trying to find out about one event as if it is the only one because it is caught on video.?

We don't and never will know maintenance, ammo, proper and seated mag. etc.

Judging by his response he is not a "gun guy". Big clue also.

If you ever occasion the UOF thread one will observe many Glock malfunctions.

I had a 2.0 that shot patterns not groups (went away) but I could not limp wrist it into a malfunction. I can do it with a g3 g19 at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Are you seriously trying to find out about one event as if it is the only one because it is caught on video.? ... We don't and never will know maintenance, ammo, proper and seated mag. etc.
    I am seriously wondering if that particular gun might be broken. And I would expect the gun and magazine are going to be retained as evidence for a while, but likely reviewed for the malfunction at some point. It is an agency of 1,800 users that just had a highly publicized failure with a product they have been using for thirty years, there is going to be some kind of customer satisfaction follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Judging by his response he is not a "gun guy". Big clue also.
    If you ever occasion the UOF thread one will observe many Glock malfunctions.
    I had a 2.0 that shot patterns not groups (went away) but I could not limp wrist it into a malfunction. I can do it with a g3 g19 at will.
    My post may have been misinterpreted, I know mechanical devices, including Glock pistols, occasionally fail. I also know that when things happen that did or could have caused loss of life, like airplane crashes, events are investigated to try and figure out why.

ETA: That pistol acted the exact same way I have seen when other people (seriously, I am talking about other people!! ) load a round of forty into their 9mm gun.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-16-2021 at 10:57 AM.

Site Supporter
    ETA: That pistol acted the exact same way I have seen when other people (seriously, I am talking about other people!! ) load a round of forty into their 9mm gun.
    I can attest that a 9mm round will function in a .40 Beretta 96. Just once though, and not very accurate. Reminds me of the old saying about throwing a hotdog down a hallway.

User Tag List