Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just When I Started Carrying a Semiauto Pistol, I Saw This..

Just When I Started Carrying a Semiauto Pistol, I Saw This..

I carried one of my 1911’s yesterday and today. A revolver has been my constant companion for pretty much all of 2021. In the video linked, two officers are trying to wrestle a pistol from a genius in an ER room. It becomes the proverbial gunfight in a phone booth! You can fast forward to the 8 minute mark, and see why some people prefer revolvers to semiautomatics. The ending is pretty dramatic. IF I carry a 1911 tomorrow, I’ll have a J frame in my pocket. 😳😳😳

Hammertime
    That is a tough time for a failure to extract double feed type malfunction.

Just posted this exact post over in the “LE use of force” thread...
    ———
    Practice clearing a malfunction!!! Seriously, it took this guy forever (16 seconds) to get that gun back into the fight. If the bad guy had more fight in him, the officer recording would be dead.

Preaching to the choir here... but “TAP, RACK”... (not working)... “LOCK, RIP, RACK-RACK-RACK, RELOAD, READY”

Staring at the gun does not fix the gun.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

@Gadly... He had a really tough time stripping that mag from the pistol. Did you guys see the end? YEEHAA!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    That is a tough time for a failure to extract double feed type malfunction.
    Metal magazine. Could you tell what that pistol was?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Looks like an S&W M&P to me. Which variant I cannot say.

A semi-auto malfunction can *typically* be fixed expediently by the user. A revolver malfunctioning, and yes they malfunction, quite frequently requires the use of tools to repair.

I love wheelguns, but the notion that they are not susceptible to malfunctions is a false notion.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    A semi-auto malfunction can *typically* be fixed expediently by the user. A revolver malfunctioning, and yes they malfunction, quite frequently requires the use of tools to repair.

I love wheelguns, but the notion that they are not susceptible to malfunctions is a false notion.
    Failure to feed, failure to eject, double feed, stovepipe, failure to return to battery, failure to... it sure seems as if one type has developed a whole language to describe feed cycle issues though don't it? Revolver failures are typically mechanical failures which semi-autos are prone to, in my experience, in equal measure. When mechanical issues occur, yes, they frequently require tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Failure to feed, failure to eject, double feed, stovepipe, failure to return to battery, failure to... it sure seems as if one type has developed a whole language to describe feed cycle issues though don't it? Revolver failures are typically mechanical failures which semi-autos are prone to, in my experience, in equal measure. When mechanical issues occur, yes, they frequently require tools.
    In the training environment, I have witnessed far more wheelguns get deadlined in classes than I have semiautos. Often, this is a result of the user not taking precautionary steps such as cleaning under the extractor. They are often ammo related. That still doesn't change end result.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Some Smith. It’s an interesting malfunction because he was not in contact with anything and he seemed to have a decent grip on the pistol. Just really bad timing.

I have practiced clearing those a bunch, but I have only experienced this malfunction with small pocket pistols (a lot), never a full sized.

User Tag List