Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new shotty who dis?

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    Sights? Oh yes! Better to have and not need. And yes I can smoke ball clays with this sight set-up just fine, ghost rings are not something
    that works as well in my opinion.

Glad to hear I am not the only one. When I was searching for my Holy Grail 870P utility gun setup, ghost ring rear on the receiver and trad Remington adjustable rear halfway up the barrel were both found wanting for a number of reasons.

While I have not (yet) gone to the trouble of having a vent-ribbed barrel cut down and fitted with "express" sights as the photos show, I am currently benefitting from the Remington "DEA" style barrel with the low-profile XS irons that can be concentrated on, casually noticed or completely ignored... as circumstances dictate.

In the distant past, Steve Rose threaded an 870 18.5" police barrel for me, and it was very nicely done. I payed it forward in an uncharacteristic moment of philanthropy, but it made for a pretty decent do-it-all barrel.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

What fiber optic front sight is that? It does not look like an XS sight to me. Is Steve Rose the right guy to do that type of sight install?

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    What fiber optic front sight is that? It does not look like an XS sight to me. Is Steve Rose the right guy to do that type of sight install?
    I can't speak for Mr. Kelley and don't know about the provenance of the front sight. What I can say is that all the shotgun work I have seen from RAS was done right, including the aforementioned threaded choke installation; it has been some time since I had that barrel done, so I am not sure what all Steve does these days.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

After seeing this thread I contacted RAS, his prices seem reasonable and he will cut the dovetails for the XS sight if you provide the sights. I’m going to send him the 28” barrel off my project 870 to cut and thread for chokes at 21”. Because one is none and two is one.

The last time I worked on loading a shotgun was in 2016. After the GA championship match that year I quit 3gun to focus more time on my family. I dug out my Invictus Practical 2.8 caddy and put it on the timer just to see how I could do with this RAS loading port. 4.5 sec to load 8 isn't world class these days, but not bad for 5 years cold. Still not sure I'll shoot much 3gun (if any) with this gun, but nice to know it's capable.

Last edited by ASH556; 04-16-2021 at 04:38 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

FYI, Mike (Accurate Iron) "retired" from all things "gun" a couple years ago or thereabouts. Sad because he did some fine work.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    FYI, Mike (Accurate Iron) "retired" from all things "gun" a couple years ago or thereabouts. Sad because he did some fine work.
    Yeah, when I got into it in 2014 you could tell he was getting over it from his posts on places like Boomershooter and Enos.
    Food Court Apprentice

Got the last piece of the “HD crossover” puzzle installed today: GG&G light mount. @TCinVA is this similar to the Streamlight piece you’re using on the 1301?

Name:  33BC309E-7462-4B1D-BBBF-721E485F2186.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  61.3 KB
    Name:  D25EA87F-A7CD-434B-B937-38B3FF7C4A59.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  70.4 KB
    Food Court Apprentice

The Streamlight is similar, but it only has a single groove and is flat for the ring that fits between the end cap and barrel. If I remember the ggaz has a ball bearing that works with a benelli end cap.

RAS did up my 21” 1301C much like yours with a couple more options a few years ago...very happy with his work. The 21” guns are a great “do all” size.

User Tag List