Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new shotty who dis?

new shotty who dis?

Steve Rose, that's who. For real tho y'all, I just love Benelli shotguns. I think this is only the 7th or 8th one I've had. This makes the 5th 21" gun I've had configured like this. The first got turned into a 28" with a +9 ext because #3gn (ghey!), the second got sold to pay taxes. The third got sold because it was an ugly camo turkey gun. The fourth got sold 'cause Jesus told me to. Hopefully this one never leaves.

Other guns in the mix were a couple 18.5's and a NOS HK 14" Entry M1 with rifle sights that hit 12" high...sold that to sum dood right before 41 went into effect for what I had in it.

I've used a 21 with great success on everything from sporting clays to game birds to HD to 3gn. It works for me as a 100% do-all shotgun. I wanted a full-custom build for awhile after having owned several guns with varying levels of home-brewed and professional work done to them. I asked @P.E. Kelley about Taran (TTI), Bennie (Triangle), Mike (AI), and Steve (RAS). His answer was, "Rose without hesitation."

So, when the time came about a month ago I reached out to Mr. Steve Rose at RAS (Rose Action Sports) and asked if he had any 21" guns. He found one for me and put a full race package on it for an amazing price. Amazing experience, quick turnaround, and holding the gun in my hand is proof of the quality. There were always these little annoying nuances with the other guns (TTI lifter slightly too long and not moving far enough out of the way to unload the tube, for instance). Absolutely everything on this gun works just like it should from the loading port to the trigger job.

Now, I'm not here to argue with you about whether or not this is the best dedicated HD shotgun or not. I'm sure your 1301 + Magpul + CROM + Aimpoint is the ultimate uber setup, but for an all-around gun that'll bust birds, burn down a 3gn stage, and also keep us safe at home...this is it!

If you're in the market for any gunsmithing at all, including custom shotgun work, I'd encourage you to reach out to Steve.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Not surprised that you love it, but I am ever so happy that you do!
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Very nice!

I have an early 870 Express that I had cut and reRemChoked at 21” in the early 90’s. That barrel length just works well for anything I might do with a shotgun. In fact I recently bought a second 870 of similar vintage and am currently looking for a factory 21” “Turkey” barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Steve Rose, that's who. For real tho y'all, I just love Benelli shotguns. I think this is only the 7th or 8th one I've had. This makes the 5th 21" gun I've had configured like this. The first got turned into a 28" with a +9 ext because #3gn (ghey!), the second got sold to pay taxes. The third got sold because it was an ugly camo turkey gun. The fourth got sold 'cause Jesus told me to. Hopefully this one never leaves.

Other guns in the mix were a couple 18.5's and a NOS HK 14" Entry M1 with rifle sights that hit 12" high...sold that to sum dood right before 41 went into effect for what I had in it.

I've used a 21 with great success on everything from sporting clays to game birds to HD to 3gn. It works for me as a 100% do-all shotgun. I wanted a full-custom build for awhile after having owned several guns with varying levels of home-brewed and professional work done to them. I asked @P.E. Kelley about Taran (TTI), Bennie (Triangle), Mike (AI), and Steve (RAS). His answer was, "Rose without hesitation."

So, when the time came about a month ago I reached out to Mr. Steve Rose at RAS (Rose Action Sports) and asked if he had any 21" guns. He found one for me and put a full race package on it for an amazing price. Amazing experience, quick turnaround, and holding the gun in my hand is proof of the quality. There were always these little annoying nuances with the other guns (TTI lifter slightly too long and not moving far enough out of the way to unload the tube, for instance). Absolutely everything on this gun works just like it should from the loading port to the trigger job.

Now, I'm not here to argue with you about whether or not this is the best dedicated HD shotgun or not. I'm sure your 1301 + Magpul + CROM + Aimpoint is the ultimate uber setup, but for an all-around gun that'll bust birds, burn down a 3gn stage, and also keep us safe at home...this is it!

If you're in the market for any gunsmithing at all, including custom shotgun work, I'd encourage you to reach out to Steve.

Thats gorgeous

Site Supporter
    I have always loved Benellis. I've had a few chances at nice M1 S90's, an M4, even an early Police model Benelli 121 with a 7+1 cap and walnut furniture with rifle sights that were dead on at 50 yards with slugs.

Somehow I was too stupid to buy them when I had those chances, and every time I see regular M2's and M4's selling for $2k plus I cry inside a little bit.

Nice score, Ash, and I hope you get to hang on to this one!!

I really like the simplicity of a Benelli but I also like how a 1301 shoots. I don't have all those doo dads on my 1301 either.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

@ASH556
    @P.E. Kelley

What is the recommended sight for a shotgun like that? I see you went with a fiber-optic only front. Wouldn't it be better with a mid bead or express sights to be able to place slugs accurately and still shoot shot well?

Don't sell that shotgun! Its nice.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    @ASH556
    @P.E. Kelley

What is the recommended sight for a shotgun like that? I see you went with a fiber-optic only front. Wouldn't it be better with a mid bead or express sights to be able to place slugs accurately and still shoot shot well?

Don't sell that shotgun! Its nice.
    I’m nowhere near Mr. Kelley’s level of qualification to answer that question.

That said: My experience has been that with multiple Vent Ribbed Benellis I can center the bead in the rib from a windage perspective and get 100% hits on 100yd silhouettes with slugs; once zero is confirmed. 7/8 oz Fiocchis work for me.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I can keep Winchester Foster or Brenneke slugs on a paper plate at fifty yards or IPSC sized torso at 100 using just the rib to aim with. I am curious about something like the XS Sight for vent rib guns:

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx...93617&CAT=8263

I haven’t had the opportunity to try them or seen many reviews.

Sights? Oh yes! Better to have and not need. And yes I can smoke ball clays with this sight set-up just fine, ghost rings are not something
    that works as well in my opinion.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

User Tag List