Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR15 Optimal Rail Length Discussion / Fixed FSB

Once you add a suppressor, the shadowing can become quite noticeable from a WML if you have the light further back. Something to consider if a can is potentially part of the picture. Same issue with an MFAL. In fact, there is a question of if there might be sparkling/backsplash off the FSB when using the laser that could potentially cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Once you add a suppressor, the shadowing can become quite noticeable from a WML if you have the light further back. Something to consider if a can is potentially part of the picture. Same issue with an MFAL. In fact, there is a question of if there might be sparkling/backsplash off the FSB when using the laser that could potentially cause issues.
    I'm curious as to how you would approach resolving that.

I have a Colt 6933 upper with shaved FSB and 9.0 handguard wearing an Ops Inc 15th model (i think) with a Surefire X300 mounted at 12 o'clock (yeah, all my shit is old busted, so what). Outside of buying a big fat YHM handguard or something that would envelope the can, I don't really see another option.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm curious as to how you would approach resolving that.

I have a Colt 6933 upper with shaved FSB and 9.0 handguard wearing an Ops Inc 15th model (i think) with a Surefire X300 mounted at 12 o'clock (yeah, all my shit is old busted, so what). Outside of buying a big fat YHM handguard or something that would envelope the can, I don't really see another option.
    You either live with it, or else push the light out further (would be tricky to keep the X300 at 1200) and use a tape switch instead. Your only options really, that I can think of; I do the latter, and there's no way in Hell I could manipulate my light with a tailcap, especially on my 14.5" and 16" large frame. I shoot with a can on exclusively, so I'm not worried about the light getting hit by muzzle blast. You could perhaps put it at the 1030 (if you're right handed, 0130 if you're left handed) so that the barrel/can shadow is less noticeable since it'll be somewhat obscured by the rifle itself when you have cheekweld on the rifle.

Forward mounting lights past the front end of the rail is a recipe for disaster.

Rear mounted lasers will get splash generally off the rail. Suppressors and exposed barrel not much of an issue

Quote Originally Posted by KEW8338 View Post
    Forward mounting lights past the front end of the rail is a recipe for disaster.

Rear mounted lasers will get splash generally off the rail. Suppressors and exposed barrel not much of an issue
    What’s the exact issue with lights past the front of the rail?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    You've created a lever working against your rail.

I've seen many a rail deformed or lights ripped off.

I would kind of tend to agree with this, kind of not. For one, I think "disaster" in the context of a non-LE civilian usage of a carbine is pretty much not a thing.

Two of my ARs wear lights. Both have the bezel past the end of the handguard. "ideal"? maybe not. Worth adding extra handguard length? no, not for me. and in one case, not really feasible.

it may be hard to see, but in one case there's a lot of scrapes and scratches on the exposed barrel from jamming it in this place or that.

Name:  IMG_4320.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4322.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  80.7 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

When you explain it, I can imagine it Happening now, so thank you for for the clarification. May I ask your context? Have you seen this in the military (and if so, what kind of unit, maybe entry work in more likely to have this issue, or airborne work?), or police, civilian competition, etc.

I’m just a lowly civilian who doesn’t compete so I like to contextualize peoples real world experience. Like how SEALs allegedly hate low ready since it might shoot a hole in their zodiac.

Right handed shooter.

Light at the 1-2oclock of the rail. Mounted forward of the rail

Walking with the weapon slung across your front. Left hand on the forend of the rail. Right hand on the pistol grip. You fall forward, decent chance it's going to be that light that breaks the fall.

When you explain it, I can imagine it Happening now, so thank you for for the clarification. May I ask your context? Have you seen this in the military (and if so, what kind of unit, maybe entry work in more likely to have this issue, or airborne work?), or police, civilian competition, etc.

I’m just a lowly civilian who doesn’t compete so I like to contextualize peoples real world experience. Like how SEALs allegedly hate low ready since it might shoot a hole in their zodiac.
    Anyone who walks around with a gun. Nothing special.

Everyone trips. Gravity wins.

User Tag List