Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 extended mag catch

We are diminished

1911 extended mag catch

Recommendations in terms of brand, etc.?

Harrison Design or Wilson, maybe the Ed Brown, the big thing is that you need to make sure the new catch doesn't push too far into the mag well and trap the magazine. The Brown part linked supposedly addresses this possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by _JD_ View Post
    Harrison Design or Wilson, maybe the Ed Brown, the big thing is that you need to make sure the new catch doesn't push too far into the mag well and trap the magazine. The Brown part linked supposedly addresses this possibility.
    The 10-8 Mag Catch has the same design functions as the Ed Brown, with regards to extended relief so it doesn't trap the mag. Found HERE. Either should be a fine option.

Todd,

You may recall my right thumb is slightly shorter than when it was issued and range of motion is a bit compromised as well. I was having to seriously rotate the gun in my firing hand to gain enough leverage to activate the magazine release and the lack of tactile feedback made it difficult to do consistently.

By far, what made the biggest difference for me was the installation of Wolff reduced power magazine catch springs. I use the #1, which is slightly less than the factory spec. Initially I was concerned about accidentally ejecting a magazine, but it has been a non-issue since I made the change 5 years ago.

I have a number of different extended magazine releases (Brown, Wilson, 10-8 & Nighthawk) on my 1911s and I cannot really differentiate between them performance-wise. All seem to work well, though if I had to pick one to recommend it would be the 10-8 Performance unit as I find the angled face provides slightly better leverage.
    C Class shooter.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    You may recall...
    Dude, you're in trouble. My laughing woke up my laugh.

The 10-8 definitely sounds promising but I've got a bit of trepidation regarding the many comments I've seen online that they need fitting. Perhaps I should get one each Brown & 10-8 and do a side by side comparison.

Switching to a lighter spring definitely sounds like a worthwhile experiment and I'll add one to my cart at Brownells.

The Brown was de factor standard for comp guns for a long time.

They all probably require fitting. Fitting may be cosmetic: i.e. on the 10-8, it extends past the frame on the right side so it can be blended completely flat with the frame, or it can be functional: i.e. using a 600 grit lapping compound and working the mag release about 200 times to get it to work smoothly.

I concur about a light mag release spring. Was taught that you could just shorten the one you have as well, taking a little off at a time until if felt right.

A smoother, lighter mag release is a good thing. I have the 10-8 on one and a Wilson Bulletproof on another. If I was left handed and did index finger mag releases, it would be the 10-8 every time. Otherwise, I don't mind the regular style.

There is also a slight modification to the mag release lock, in that you bevel the 4 corners of the locking tab.

We are diminished
    I ordered a Brown (it's literally half the price of the 10-8) and will give that a go. I also ordered a mag catch spring tuning kit. We'll see if that makes a difference. Thanks guys!

This time next year you're going to be cutting your own back straps and checkering. You've got the bug now.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List