Thread: Thumb Pressure Against the Frame?

Thumb Pressure Against the Frame?

I have been experimenting with shooting without any thumb pressure against the side of pistols. My shots, however, are going more to the right. (I shoot left-handed.) So, I am curious: how many of you folks use or don't use your support thumb to gently press against the side of the gun?

Randy

I don't.

There is by now a pretty old interview with Brian Enos and Dave Sevigny, google it up. They talk about it, a very nice read. The gist of it was that Brian specifically preferred a neutral grip and thumbs off while Dave did the opposite.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Taking a break from social media.

I shoot with 0 sideways thumb pressure from either thumb on the gun. Firing hand thumb rides on the support hand (with striker fired guns with no thumb safety). Support hand thumb floats with no pressure towards the frame. I found it easier to exert good support hand pressure this way.

Great article. Thanks for posting,
    Randy

My support hand thumb touches the side of the frame. I do not apply pressure with the thumb, but there's a polished spot on all my high round count guns. I use the thumb placement for a reliable index that works for a wide variety of guns.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Thumb Pressure Against the Frame?

Ok. I found a picture of what I do. I think this is very hand size dependent. Lots of right answers to where to put the thumbs.

@randyflycaster, that’s interesting about your POI changing when you move your thumb. Can you do “trigger press at speed” in dryfire against a white wall and figure out if your trigger mechanics actually require pushing with the thumb? Or is it that the gun returns off index on a second shot?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Yes. All my grip comes from support hand pinch with index finger and thumb.

I spent some time training with Rob Leatham a few years ago. We were about one minute into the first session when he told me I had a "perfect" grip that reminded him of Brian Enos. I don't recall any other attributes of my shooting that Rob found so not in need of suggestions for improvement.

So I have tried to leave my grip alone and focus on other things as I try to continuously improve my shooting skill.

I think I fiddled with my grip almost endlessly prior to hearing Rob's comment in that training, and just leaving it alone has helped me immensely.

User Tag List