Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota dealer apocalypse

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    My wife took her TRD 4Runner in for service yesterday (tires and oil) and they had one 4Runner on the whole lot. If the internet/Reddit is to be believed, 2020 Tundras and 4Runners are getting more for cash/trade-in than they sold for.
    2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser I looked at today was >46K on the sticker, 30K new. I didn't check the mileage but cosmetically it was in top condition. It's an upside down market.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser I looked at today was >46K on the sticker. I didn't check the mileage but cosmetically it was in top condition. It's an upside down market.
    Oh yeah, FJ market is crazy. @RevolverRob Who'da thought they beat the stock market.

Oh yeah, FJ market is crazy. @RevolverRob Who'da thought they beat the stock market.
    For real. Had my FJ in for service at the local Firestone last week. A used car dealer on the lot next door tried to buy it from me.

'07, 178k, not perfect cosmetics. Dealer said he'd do 12k cash, was dead serious. I told him no, but asked him what he'd list it for, "16k and it wouldn't sit on my lot for longer than a weekend."

Admittedly this was a Buy-Here Pay-Here place, but still, 16k for a 14-year old truck with nearly 200k miles. It is well maintained though and that obviously helps.

Yeah, but his has been in those IL winters and probably rusted out by now. Probably looking at the pavement thru the floor pan as he drives down the road.

I just checked my dealer's website. Here's the NEW car list:

Name:  servco.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  14.5 KB

I would say during a normal year, they would have north of 500 4R, and 250 Tacoma. A couple years ago, when another PF'er in FL couldn't find a 4R in his county, I took a video of the dealer lot down the block from my office and he was shocked

I went to my Toyota dealer today for my free service. I was about halfway across the lot when a young salesman asks me if I wanted to sell my 4R. I said I've only had it a short time and I had no reason to sell it. He then said he had to ask so I went about my business. I gave service my keys and walked around a bit. I then realized they had empty lots. I looked for new pickups, Tundra's or Tacoma's, and there wasn't a single one. I then looked for new 4r's. None of those either. Same for Highlanders. Then a salesman came out and we started to chat. He told me the shortage started 4 months ago. Now they are taking deposits for deliveries 90-120 days out. He said their inventory was reduced by about 70%.

Apparently there's a semiconductor shortage in the auto industry but I never realized it was this bad. That's a yuge shortage. This is going to drive up the prices of new vehicles for a very long time.
    shoulda told him an insane price.

now i feel like I need to start visiting car lots just to troll 'em.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Yeah, but his has been in those IL winters and probably rusted out by now. Probably looking at the pavement thru the floor pan as he drives down the road.
    Then you can just spit your tobacco right out onto the road. Like my grandpa.

No joke, he had an old Dodge Ram with a hole in the floor. He cleared it about 80% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    shoulda told him an insane price.

now i feel like I need to start visiting car lots just to troll 'em.
    I wuz tempted. I thought about a straight across trade for that 2014 FJ. My 2019 4R only has 9500 miles on it. I didn't think they would bite and I didn't have 3 hours to dicker. Buying anything from a dealer is like laying siege to a castle. You need a lot of time and a catapult with flaming projectiles.

Site Supporter
    I have this way of accumulating vehicles. Not junk ones, but not real great ones, either. It's a curse because I have such a hard time paying good money for one when I used to make a living fixing them. So my thought patterns go along with most mechanics I know (they tried to call us technicians, but we resisted).....our dealership employee parking lot was full of some of the rattiest still-running vehicles in the town -- it was sometimes a source of pride for whose was closest to death's door yet still being limped along at the least possible cost to it's owner. But I digress.

So I decided to sell some stuff. This was like 3 weeks ago. Sold my 95 Corvette back to it's original owner for the same amount I paid for it 3 years ago. Sold my Outback with still-leaking head gaskets for $1700, or about $1000 more than it should've been worth in my mind. Sold a friend's wrecked and poorly repaired '10 Jetta which has been the bane of my existence for $3500, and that car shouldn't have fetched $2k with it's tacky paint job and screwed up right front corner. Sold my little commuter Ninja 250 for $1500 which is what it was worth, and sold an old GS425E in non-inspected condition and needing work for $1000, probably $500 more than it'd have sold for last year.

In no case did any of the vehicles I advertised stay up for more than 3 days.

Doing good selling guns too! It's a good time to be a seller; make hay while the sun shines, y'all.

Then you can just spit your tobacco right out onto the road. Like my grandpa.

No joke, he had an old Dodge Ram with a hole in the floor. He cleared it about 80% of the time.
    Those Dodges had some body issues. So did IH. My step father had an IH wagon that had the pavement view thru the floor pan.

User Tag List