Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota dealer apocalypse

Back in mid 2019, the local Ford dealer offered my folks a brand new, fully optioned Explorer in exchange for their vanilla 2017 Expedition- an offer they gladly accepted.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Back in mid 2019, the local Ford dealer offered my folks a brand new, fully optioned Explorer in exchange for their vanilla 2017 Expedition- an offer they gladly accepted.
    hope it doesn't develop paint zits like my friends.
    not a joke, water is accumulating UNDER the paint in various areas, raising it and forming zits. I popped one one day and damn it smelled bad.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Doing good selling guns too! It's a good time to be a seller; make hay while the sun shines, y'all.
    I do not have anything I want or need to sell, but I keep wondering if I might maybe really scrutinize the contents of the safe...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    not a joke, water is accumulating UNDER the paint in various areas, raising it and forming zits. I popped one one day and damn it smelled bad.
    So far, so good. Even if it was a fender bender magnet last year- who would thunk a red SUV would get bumped twice within the space of two months in the Villages?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I do not have anything I want or need to sell, but I keep wondering if I might maybe really scrutinize the contents of the safe...
    Being a capitalist is the American way!

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    I have this way of accumulating vehicles. Not junk ones, but not real great ones, either. It's a curse because I have such a hard time paying good money for one when I used to make a living fixing them. So my thought patterns go along with most mechanics I know (they tried to call us technicians, but we resisted).....our dealership employee parking lot was full of some of the rattiest still-running vehicles in the town -- it was sometimes a source of pride for whose was closest to death's door yet still being limped along at the least possible cost to it's owner. But I digress.

So I decided to sell some stuff. This was like 3 weeks ago. Sold my 95 Corvette back to it's original owner for the same amount I paid for it 3 years ago. Sold my Outback with still-leaking head gaskets for $1700, or about $1000 more than it should've been worth in my mind. Sold a friend's wrecked and poorly repaired '10 Jetta which has been the bane of my existence for $3500, and that car shouldn't have fetched $2k with it's tacky paint job and screwed up right front corner. Sold my little commuter Ninja 250 for $1500 which is what it was worth, and sold an old GS425E in non-inspected condition and needing work for $1000, probably $500 more than it'd have sold for last year.

In no case did any of the vehicles I advertised stay up for more than 3 days.

Doing good selling guns too! It's a good time to be a seller; make hay while the sun shines, y'all.
    You could be my neighbor. He has about 5 vehicles in various stages of repair/restoration. My fav is his 49 Chevy pickup. I can relate to that because I was born in 49.

I'm not selling any more firearms. I'm getting some bad vibes with the civil unrest and the shortages. People are spooked.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

My wife's Sienna needed an oil change and a fuel pump recall the other day, so I had to go to the dealership. I noticed the same thing - the lot was barren. Only a bare handful of vehicles of any flavor.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Stepson was out and about, a couple weeks back, when his '07 Infiniti popped a code. He was near a Nissan dealership and dropped it at their service center. When we went to pick him up, three dealership employees in a row aggressively tried to talk us into selling our car. Stepson reports they also lobbied to get him to sell the Infiniti while he was waiting for us. Lot wasn't all that empty but apparently demand is there. Interesting times...

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Yeah, but his has been in those IL winters and probably rusted out by now. Probably looking at the pavement thru the floor pan as he drives down the road.
    It's only been through 1.5 Chicago winters (came up last January). And that was a very light winter, we had almost no salt on the road.

This past October, before winter began, I had the truck thoroughly sprayed with Fluid Film. My truck's undercarriage is oily from Fluid Film, but it ain't rusty.

Well, there are some rock chips down past the primer on the hood. But I plan to just strip it down and powdercoat it when I get my garage setup after the move.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Nothing is worse than the GM work truck white. It starts peeling in five years or less in warm/humid climates. When it really progresses, it can fly off in sheets when you get on the highway. Any white Express/Savana or Silverado/Sierra "WT" east of I-35 and south of the Maxon Dixon Line is doomed.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List