Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Toyota dealer apocalypse

We had the same experience at the local Subaru dealer. No new Foresters on the lot, asking $500 to get on a waiting list, with expected delivery in 90-120 days at best.

Luckily, there are still plenty of Kias around here!

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Being a capitalist is the American way!
    Not really thinking about exploiting the market so much as maybe taking the opportunity to really consider if I ACTUALLY need that Kahr 380 that I NEVER shoot and I NEVER carry...
    And not like I would take the money and do something like invest it, I would probably just sink the money into something else that was rarely used.
    Then I grab out my LWC that I NEVER shoot and I NEVER carry and decide screw it, I am keeping that stuff! Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The Suez thing didn't help much- there's been a pretty big knock on effect on worldwide shipping.
    It has been crazy. My company imports graphic display hardware and it has been taking forever and costing more. Our shipping coordinator showed us a screen shot with forty ships waiting their turn in Long Beach. And this has overburdened air freight as well, I had one order we wanted to ship by air, and one quote that would typically have been $5-6k was quoted by one putz for $29k. There are not enough containers in China, and not enough rail cars at the ports, and not enough truck chassis at the terminals here. Production shut down for months, then demand spiked for many products, unfortunately not including ours, since it is all related to events and about half of it typically directly related to trade shows.

Yup, shortage across the industry, especially in light trucks.
    #RESIST

reading through this, sent my buddy (who owns the zitty ford) a message, that he should look into what the buy out and residual is on his lease, go look at resale value, and see if it isn't worth it to try and flip the thing. he's been wanting out of the lease anyways. Now seems like a time where he could possibly come out ahead of the game with a couple bucks in his pocket.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Took my '17 Tacoma TRD Sport w/ 62k miles in for service last month to my local Toyota dealership. They offered to buy out my loan, plus throw in some cash, and spot me a free rental until the Tacoma or 4R of my choice came in. Quoted 4-5 months until delivery.

The other big issue if not already covered is a VERY low supply of used cars. Auction cars are bringing 3K over MMR (wholesale). Dealers are afraid to step too much for fear of correction. Rental car companies are buying used and they will pay any price as they need the cars as travel spools up and they can rent the cars back to current market (price) when needed.

Dealers have buyers just working private sale ad's to get cars. Likely the fall before New is back to anywhere normal.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I just checked my dealer's website. Here's the NEW car list:

Attachment 70083

I would say during a normal year, they would have north of 500 4R, and 250 Tacoma. A couple years ago, when another PF'er in FL couldn't find a 4R in his county, I took a video of the dealer lot down the block from my office and he was shocked
    That's a lot of 4R's. The fact that they are still built in Japan with access to domestic chips might be a reason. Just a guess.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

It has been crazy. My company imports graphic display hardware and it has been taking forever and costing more. Our shipping coordinator showed us a screen shot with forty ships waiting their turn in Long Beach......
    And it’s not like the guys at the port are sitting around goofing off. The port of Long Beach had its most productive month in history last month. But yeah, for the last several weeks a huge ship traffic jam every day ships lined up as far as you can see.

Site Supporter
    My wife has a 2014 Acura which the dealership wants to buy back. Frequent phone calls.

first person to give me $11k for my 2005 Chrysler Sebring gets it.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List